Harding

Holtontulsa

Things looked a little shaky tonight... Division 2 Harding came in and played well, winning 68-54

Detti Balla fouled out with 11 minutes & Kevi Luper fouled out with 9 minutes remaining.

Playing man to man will produce a lot of fouls and the girls are going to have to learn to be less aggressive than they have been in the past.

They can overcome this. It will be a good teaching tool for coach Cussen

The man to man defense looked pretty solid for the 1st 25 minutes of the game. The problem was that ORU had many open looks but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I felt for Taylor Cooper who seemed to miss everything before finally making a "3" fairly late in the 2nd half. When Kevi fouled out, and Balla had already fouled out, the team appeared to lose their composure and seemed lost on offense.

Also, Jaci Bigham did not play as she recovers from a wrist injury (I believe), and she was missed. The other 2 point guards had a rough night. I'm sure they will iron out the offensive kinks. It will be tough to replace Jordan Pyle but in time I think Taylor Cooper could play a similar role. I think this team could have benefitted from playing a blue-white scrimmage in front of some fans before playing their 1st exhibition game.

If ORU had shot like they normally do, and would have had the lead, it would have been a completely different game. As it was, with the foul trouble and the shooting woes, they had to start taking some chances on defense later in the 2nd half which led to some easy scores. Overall, I'm encouraged with what I saw from the man to man defense. Also, Harding was a decent team for a Division 2 squad, but ORU still had no excuse losing this game. The good news is that while it is embarrassing, it doesn't count.

I agree ORU Jason, After watching the game, I was just blown away by poor play and as I watched Harding warm up they were hitting the three and I knew then we were in trouble. However, I also believe that we had first game jitters and with all the new players, the chemistry was not there. The man to man defense was good to see. Give them a few games and they will be ok.

I thought Sarah Shelton was a bright spot. We need her and Detti to play big/strong. Also, I thought Emma Gade showed something. She seems to have a 'knack' for the game.

We aren't going to beat many people shooting 33% from the field. Also, missed a BUNCH of free throws.

But for me, the bottom line for this season comes down to Jaci Bigham. If she is healthy/playing well, we are a pretty decent team. I've said it for 3 years now...her play at the point is the key. She may not be the "best" player or All-American, but she is the most "valuable" player.

I didn't see the game, but with all exhibition games (men's and women's) it should be taken into account that the D-1 school rarely runs their actual offensive sets, while the small-school opponent runs everything they've got.

With TU looming on the immediate horizon for the ORU ladies, I highly doubt Misti was going to "show" anything.

Couple that with poor shooting - especially from the free throw line - and you've got a recipe for offensive disaster that particular outing.

Titan.... The majority of these girls were recruited to play Finkbeiners style of basketball... That is what their suits are. Misti was an assistant of Jerry's for over 16 years. The fact that she has changed EVERYTHING 100% goes to show you that she had no faith in anything that he was doing.

There is so much riding on this season for a couple of the girls that wish to pursue basketball further. If those certain players are not able to maintain the same averages (in a lesser conference) as last year, it could all but destroy their chances.

Take Kevi for instance. A large portion of her offense last year were fast break points. Playing man to man will will make those numbers drop. Also, playing man to man will not allow the girls to average as many minutes as they were able to last year. Detti fouled out with 11 minutes left and Kevi with 9 minutes left. That left 2 subs on the bench. By the 5 minute mark our girls were exhausted! Playing so much man defense also will pile up the fouls quicker, as was seen the other night.

Personally, I love man to man defense, however, you have got to be disciplined and stay in front of you man, otherwise its worthless. I was hoping to find how many points in the paint were given up. I know it was quite a few.. Wanted to be able to compare it to the zone we played last year while giving up multiple free bees under the goal. We did, however, get out rebounded by a team whose post player was 5'11 maybe!

Hopefully we can right the ship tomorrow night against NAIA opponent OBU!

A coach cannot make coaching decisions based upon trying to bump up stats so that a player can get drafted for the WNBA. A coach instead coaches for the purpose of the team winning games. I disagree that man to man defense will tire out a player any more than the frenetic zone defense that they played last year. That zone was basically an extended press which IMHO would tire out the girls more than playing man to man.

Also, I'm not sure that Coach Cussen is changing that much on offense. The offense looked pretty much the same to me. I would be curious to hear more about offensive changes if they are occurring.

Definitely you would expect fewer fast break points this year vs. last year (and fewer steals for Kevi) without the frenetic zone, and that is a risk because there will be fewer easy buckets in that scenario. But the hope is that the girls will learn to win 65-60 instead of 95-90. Of course, not every fast break over the last 3 years ended up with a score. There were many turnovers at the other end of a steal as well because they would carry that frenetic pace from defense to offense at times.

I'm not sure that anyone besides Kevi would have a shot at the WNBA and the scouts are smart enough to understand that a change of offensive style would translate to a change in scoring averages. In fact, it could benefit her to play in a more normal basketball style because now she has extensive zone and man to man experience from which they can judge her skills. Her speed, basketball IQ, knack for forcing turnovers, ability to drive to the basket, ability to stop and pop, and 3 pt shooting percentage are all impressive skills that should get the WNBA's attention. I expect her to be drafted.

Misti has no faith in anything Finkbeiner was doing? She looks like she is running the same offense. We obviously missed Jaci and her court leadership. Plus, shooting 33% won't win too many games.

If they are going to play professional ball, man to man defense is the defense in the big league.

We look like a team adjusting to a new coach, trying to fill the holes left from 3 graduating seniors.

On the other side - we play like that against OBU and we should burn down the Mabee Center...

While I agree that man defense is what is mostly used in the WNBA, I will also add that transferring to man from a zone full time is not an easy task. Don't get me wrong, Jaci is a great ball player, but I don not think having her in the lineup the other night would have made the difference in whether or not we won the game.

OBU got beat by the University of Central Oklahoma a few days ago by 40 points, so hopefully tonight's game will have a much better outcome. The schedule certainly does not get any easier. In the next 10 games we have Tulsa, Arkansas, Missouri State, Baylor, Nebraska and Depaul.

Hopefully, as you mentioned Hoops Fan, the Mabee Center will still be standing after tonights game! :-)

So TheEagleman gets his electricity back to find out we lost to D-2 Harding by 14 points?....geez.....I told you that we never should have gotten rid of Coach Fink....... ;-):-D

Eagleman, let me take it one step further for you!!!! Tonight, we played NAIA opponent, Oklahoma Baptist.... Haltime score 30-29 ORU.... It wasn't ntil Coach Cussen play "Finkbeiners" 22 Zone defense did we finally create a slew of turnovers and put the game out of reach.... When they played man to man, OBU was better than we were.... Coach Cussen may realize, now, that these girls are more comfortable in what they know.... Gotta do what you gotta do to get the "W", even if it is swallowing your pride!!!

Coach Cussen is doing a excellent job with these girls. The real problem is that the quality of post play is not there. Finkbeiner done an excellent job with the girls. To say swallow your pride to a first year coach in preseason? Are you a rookie sports fan? What gives a person the right to say this? Sounds to me like someone didnt get what they wanted?! Better yet sounds like they got burned.

Matter of opinion, that is what these forums are about, right? Opinions? Fink never played man, misti tried, it didn't work, she went to what worked! Don't get me wrong, I think misti will do a great job once all the pieces fit

Give the new coach and the kids some time....ORU might take some lumps early in the season....at least Kevi got 25 last night vs. OCC and the girls won by 20....baby steps.... :nerd:

I frankly couldn't care less whether we get a "W" in an exhibition game.

The point of preseason games is to work on whatever you need to be successful in the long run.

Jerry's "Run And Fun" style of play, where you run up the score on weaklings but never develop the physicality to compete against equal or better competition, was fine for style points but sucked in tangible long-term results.

His teams that ever actually won anything of significance were defensive-minded and comparatively low-scoring.

I will be fine with this team losing a few games early if it's part of the process of developing into the type of team that can compete with the big girls.

And, in the mean time, Kevi and Jaci's offensive stats be damned...if they are good enough for the WNBA, they'll get noticed regardless.

I frankly couldn't care less whether we get a "W" in an exhibition game.

The point of preseason games is to work on whatever you need to be successful in the long run.

Jerry's "Run And Fun" style of play, where you run up the score on weaklings but never develop the physicality to compete against equal or better competition, was fine for style points but sucked in tangible long-term results.

His teams that ever actually won anything of significance were defensive-minded and comparatively low-scoring.

I will be fine with this team losing a few games early if it's part of the process of developing into the type of team that can compete with the big girls.

And, in the mean time, Kevi and Jaci's offensive stats be damned...if they are good enough for the WNBA, they'll get noticed regardless.

Amen.

Especially your last sentence.

.... It wasn't until Coach Cussen play "Finkbeiners" 22 Zone defense did we finally create a slew of turnovers and put the game out of reach..

Are you 100% certain we didn't mix up defenses and play some zone trap in the first half...?

Me thinks you are mistaken, kind sir.