Making Things Add Up

Old Titan

another new player...Antoine Newson??? i'm guessing another walk-on if it's true.

LINK

The only information I can find about someone with that name indicates he graduated from high school in 2008 in Mesa, Verde, California.

Back on June 17th he tweeted:

“@creativetwon: Day is getting better.. Oral Roberts university just called talking bout they interested in the kidâ€

Could be a "preferred" walk-on situation.

From the tweet....sounds like our kind of guy.... |(

• 1 month later...

As of right now, we are over our 13 scholarship limit:

1. Damen Bell-Holter (letterwinner)

2. Warren Niles (letterwinner)

3. Steven Roundtree (letterwinner)

4. Mikey Manghum (letterwinner)

5. Jake Lliteras (letterwinner)

6. Shawn Glover (junior off redshirt)

7. Kris Obaseki (freshman off redshirt) ????

8. D.J. Jackson (freshman off redshirt)

9. Korey Billbury (freshman off redshirt)

10. Jorden Kaufmann (incoming freshman)

11. Corbin Byford (incoming freshman)

12. Brandon Conley (incoming freshman)

13. Tramel White (incoming juco transfer)

14. Obi Emegano (redshirting transfer)

Moving to ENGLAND tomorrow.

this may be how things work out. if it's true, it's a shame he never got to suit up.

I talked to Kris' dad a few months ago and he was taking a job in England. The rest of the family, wife and daughter, were moving (from Houston) after school was out. Maybe Kris is just visiting - hopeful for that anyway. I don't think that it would be a good time to be traveling to England. :)

• Upvote 1

I think that once we lost Hankins, we lost Obaseki, too. When Kris' dad, Michael, left the ORU program in the mid-80's, he landed with the Ken Hayes-coached team at Northeastern State. One of his teammates was Tom Hankins and Michael and Tom stayed connected from that time on.

With Tom gone (who was probably Kris' biggest advocate), it was either move to Carbondale or London. I believe Kris made the right choice!! :-D Since Obaseki wasn't on the roster for the 2012-13 season, I have to believe that this has been the plan for some time.

• Upvote 2

I talked to Kris' dad a few months ago and he was taking a job in England. The rest of the family, wife and daughter, were moving (from Houston) after school was out. Maybe Kris is just visiting - hopeful for that anyway. I don't think that it would be a good time to be traveling to England. :)

After reading this thread I was had already clicked to leave this page and move on to the next, when it hit me that this post (and Bogus' following) represent PRECISELY what makes this such a great message board. We have SO MANY PEOPLE with so many connections that share on here that we nearly always know the background and back story to almost everything that goes on in ORU athletics. It's what makes our board so interesting, fun and informative.

Thanks for your excellent post, MrsSmith.

• Upvote 1

If we do lose Obaseki, then I hope that all the incoming freshman are on pace academically to be eligible this year.

DBH tweeted a photo of the team's last summer lift. He later mentioned there were only 2 teammates left out of the picture.

1. Damen Bell-Holter (letterwinner)

2. Warren Niles (letterwinner)

3. Steven Roundtree (letterwinner) traveled back home before pic

4. Mikey Manghum (letterwinner)

5. Jake Lliteras (letterwinner) traveled back home before pic

6. Shawn Glover (junior off redshirt)

7. D.J. Jackson (freshman off redshirt)

8. Korey Billbury (freshman off redshirt)

9. Jorden Kaufmann (incoming freshman)

10. Corbin Byford (incoming freshman)

11. Brandon Conley (incoming freshman)

Not playing this year:

12. Obi Emegano (redshirting transfer)

NmBxiGjQqi.jpg

• Upvote 1

Trammel White is not on that list....That would mean we don't have an experienced point guard (except Manghum) and lost some height (Obaseki).

So what happened to the juco transfer Trammel White?...... :|

After reading this thread I was had already clicked to leave this page and move on to the next, when it hit me that this post (and Bogus' following) represent PRECISELY what makes this such a great message board. We have SO MANY PEOPLE with so many connections that share on here that we nearly always know the background and back story to almost everything that goes on in ORU athletics. It's what makes our board so interesting, fun and informative.

Thanks for your excellent post, MrsSmith.

Well said tmh. Thanks to Bogus, Mrs Smith, SOLO_Gold, OldTitan, ORUTerry, tmh, and the many other "insiders" who provide context and great insight to ORU athletics for us out of towners.

As for Tramel White, I'm wondering if they are holding that last scholarship to see if he can get everything in order by the time school starts. ORU will need all the experience at point they can get. Mikey and Warren in the backcourt together could get dicey at times last year against pressure defense.

D.J. Jackson and Korey Bilbury can both play the point as well, but it would be nice for them to learn under someone with experience beyond high school. At least D.J. Jackson was able to practice with the team during the 2nd semester last year. Here's hoping Tramel White can finalize academic issues.

If White doesn't come to ORU....Looks like Billbury or Jackson will have to be our starting PG.....not sure that Manghum is more than a back up from what I have seen the past couple years..... :nerd:

I think Mikey might disagree with you, EM. Check out this tweet:

@mmanghum35: 192lbs...6.5% body fat. Progress! S/O to my bro @dbh32ORU for putting in some serious work this summer too!

Looks like he's been putting in work.

I really like Manghum. Remember, he was tearing it up from "3" midway through last season before severely injuring his hand, which affected his shooting, ball handling, and defense the rest of the year.

Manghum's Career Night Leads Golden Eagles Past South Dakota (orugoldeneagles.com)

If we could get by in past seasons with inexperienced point guards like Kelvin Sango and Ken Holdman, then I think Mikey can handle it, especially with D.J. and Korey pushing him for back-up time.