1. Damen Bell-Holter (letterwinner)

2. Warren Niles (letterwinner)

3. Steven Roundtree (letterwinner)

4. Mikey Manghum (letterwinner)

5. Jake Lliteras (letterwinner)

6. Shawn Glover (junior off redshirt)

7. Kris Obaseki (freshman off redshirt)

8. D.J. Jackson (freshman off redshirt)

9. Korey Billbury (freshman off redshirt)

10. Jorden Kaufmann (incoming freshman)

11. Corbin Byford (incoming freshman)

12. Brandon Conley (incoming freshman)

13. Tramel White (incoming juco transfer)

14. Obi Emegano (redshirting transfer)

Now, most of the time, these things take care of themselves: a guy at the end of the bench sees the writing on the wall regarding his playing time, and transfers over the summer, OR, someone slips up on qualifying academically, and is ineligible when school starts.

Case #2 could be disastrous for whoever it might be: he shouldn't assume he'll get to keep his schollie while he redshirts this year and gets his grades in order.

The wild card in this deal might be Dodge City C.C. transfer Tramel White, who despite reports in the Tulsa World and elsewhere, has never officially been announced by ORU as being signed, sealed and delivered. My guess is he still has some class work to complete this summer.

And, with the signing of transfer Obi Emegano, the message has just been sent, loud and clear, to ALL players and signees who are not yet qualified for the fall semester: "Screw up on your class work this summer at your own risk."

That roster includes eight players who have never suited up for ORU - six of those are freshmen. Talk about a roster change.

1st possibility - Bilbury never practiced with the team last year, even during 2nd semester when D.J. Jackson was able to do so. Also, the player we signed most recently (Ebi Emegano) to put us over the limit is a shooting guard, just like Bilbury. (Although maybe Ebi is not a true shooting guard but more of a swing player). Either way, I hope Bilbury's academics are in order for next year because I have been looking forward to seeing what he can do.

2nd possibility - Maybe Kris Obaseki isn't panning out/beefing up like the coaches expected.

3rd possibility - Maybe the Tramel White situation isn't yet absolutely complete.

These are ONLY GUESSES on my part. I have no insider information. I do know that Coach Sutton spoke very positively about Bilbury just 2 weeks ago at the coaches luncheon and seemed excited about his potential.

4th possibility - Maybe one of the player's parents won the lottery recently and so he no longer needs to receive a scholarship.

TheEagleman will definitely need to buy a program if I can get to Mabee Center for a game this year..... :nerd:

TheEagleman will definitely need to buy a program if I can get to Mabee Center for a game this year..... :nerd:

LOL. Some printing company, or companies, are getting a lot of business this year for sure. With both Schools Men's Basketball rosters changing up so much, they'll have to start over from scratch. LOL

*Boink* Thought just hit me. . .in the ORU/TU game this year, the fans will all need a guide just to figure out who is on the floor at any given moment.

Question: OK, OT, time to show your stuff. - How many players on both squads will have played in an ORU/TU rivalry game before??? I don't think there will be a TU player that has. In fact the only person on the TU bench that would have would be Shea Seals. For ORU, I think the number would be just the 3 guys at the top of your list above???

As you point out, a lot of these players have not played in this rivalry game. For ORU, it would only be the top four players listed above - I am pretty sure that Manghum played in the game two years ago. Another interesting fact: The Junior class of students will finish their time at ORU (assuming that they matriculate college in four years) without ever seeing an ORU vs TU game at the Mabee Center. In their freshman year the game was played at TU, it was cancelled last year (sophomore); this year (junior) it is played at Christmas break at the Mabee Center and next year (senior) will be played at the Reynolds Center. Our athletic department blew it big time in how they handled this scheduling.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure the coaches already know how this is going to play out...nothing to worry about but will be interesting to see what happens

I'm sure the coaches already know how this is going to play out...nothing to worry about but will be interesting to see what happens

I can tell you for a fact they don't know exactly how it's going to play out.

But, like you, they feel confident (based on previous similar circumstances) things will take care of themselves over the summer.

Deductive reasoning can eliminate some of the possible candidates. Assuming that the new players have made their grades/test scores, they have signed letters of intent and will be coming as ORU has a contractual obligation to honor. If not, then the situation takes care of itself. As OT said, we will probably not know until classes start in August.

• 2 weeks later...

TheEagleman is glad to hear that the 6-11 kid has arrived in Tulsa.....you can't teach height as some old basketball guru used to say....maybe Jordan will hit the 7 foot mark before he graduates from ORU.... :nerd:

Not concerned about what height he hits, but can he hit free throws and a jump hook at the rim!

I saw Jorden at the Bracket Buster game this year and I can tell you he looked every bit of 6'11" - and he is not a bean pole.

Jorden Kaufman is offically enrolled as an ORU student so you can take him off the list.

Twitter link

"Not so fast, my friend!"

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think simply being enrolled in summer school means anyone is automatically eligible for NCAA competition that year.

If I recall correctly, Tim Morton was on campus and taking classes in the summer AND fall of his freshman year, right up until practices started, at which time the NCAA ruled he had not met his academic requirements. He ended up leaving school within a week, and did not return until the following year. I think he spent the off-year in his hometown, getting his grades up to par and working at UPS.

Not implying anything specific about Kaufman, or ANY of our guys, for that matter. Just saying (again) that the "summer school roster" is not automatically the same as the roster on October 15th when full practices start.

Seems the same thing happened with guards last year too.

That's right - forgot all about Jackson's and Billbury's travails, also.

I need some clarification here - it would seem to me that the Morton/Jackson/Billbury type issues would not resolve the problem - I was under the impression that they still were on athletic scholarship while they addressed their academic problems, and if that is the case, wouldn't that scholarship still count against our total allotment? It would seem to me that we need to reduce the number of people on athletic scholarships, perhaps by having someone leave or change from an athletic scholarship to an academic scholarship, if the NCAA regulations would permit it.

I need some clarification here - it would seem to me that the Morton/Jackson/Billbury type issues would not resolve the problem - I was under the impression that they still were on athletic scholarship while they addressed their academic problems, and if that is the case, wouldn't that scholarship still count against our total allotment? It would seem to me that we need to reduce the number of people on athletic scholarships, perhaps by having someone leave or change from an athletic scholarship to an academic scholarship, if the NCAA regulations would permit it.

Well, you're assuming we're still on topic here!

What ever gave you the idea we could keep a thread from running off the rails after 10 or so posts? :razz:

But, to the point: Morton left school and was no longer on scholarship that year, though I doubt we could have turned around at that point and (for example) given his scholarship to a walk-on. It probably counted against our total.

Jackson and Billbury, by NCAA ruling, were allowed to stay in school on aid as redshirts, but were not allowed to practice. Their scholarships counted against the 13 total allowed.

So, yes: we need to resolve the "14-guys-but-only-13-scholarships" issue BEFORE school starts. My guess is, somewhere around August 1st, we will need to "fish or cut bait".