ORU at Baylor Predictions..........

theeagleman5

Nice win by the good guys against #4 Baylor and their undefeated pitching ace.

This quote from ORUgoldeneagles.com...

As the fourth-ranked team in the nation according to the NCAA’s pre-tournament seeding, Baylor is the highest-ranked victim in the history of the ORU baseball program.

I must admit that I'm surprised by this. With the historically strong baseball program and a consistently difficult schedule, I would've thought that we would have knocked off a Top 3 ranked team at least one time in the past. Of course, there may not be accurate records to substantiate (or refute) this statement.

Certainly a fun game to be a part of tonight. We left the bases loaded twice in the first five innings and did not think that tonight was going to be our night as you can't let that many opportunities get by you against a 9-0 left handed aces. Even when we got ahead 3-2 in the sixth and knocked Turley out of the game, I didn't think we were confidently ahead, but when Joe Springs started getting his guys out in the 7th and 8th, I was getting pretty excited. To get the home run (or any hit) from Goro was gravy for us. Our crowd started standing and clapping for the third out when we got the first two batters out, but then the walk (the pitches were close, but the umps were not going to give us a called third strike with the Baylor crowd on their backs) and the wild pitch dropped third strike really got the Baylor fans inspired and smelling blood. Getting the ground out to second was a great ending to a terrific win by the Golden Eagles.

As tbone mentioned earlier, this game may have been the audition Rob Walton needed to prove he could win in the Big 12. Tonight, we may have won the battle, but lost the war. Regardless, ORU baseball will reign for another day. It's good to be an Eagle tonight - especially when you win at a national seed's site.

I enjoyed everybody's posts ALMOST as much as I enjoyed the win tonight! Lots of great comments. Geoff was on fire tonight - his excitement was palpable. What a fun win!

Could have sworn Texas was ranked higher then No. 4 when Roger Lewis and Terry Rupe beat the Longhorns in back-to-back games in '83 at Johnson Stadium in the regular season.

There were also some games back in the late '70's when ORU beat highly-ranked opponents on the road such as UCLA, BYU, Cal, etc.

In 1983, ORU played in the NCAA Midwest Regional in Stillwater where ALL FOUR TEAMS were nationally ranked! ORU eliminated both Arkansas (Southwest Conference runner-up to national power Texas) and Wichita State (Missouri Valley champion) before losing in the championship game to a Big-8 champion OSU team that was ranked in at least the top 10, maybe top 5 in the country. I think the Cowboys were runner-up in the College World Series that year, with guys like Pete Incaviglia and Robin Ventura on their roster.

None of which should take away from beating this Baylor team - in Waco - in an NCAA regional game. Fantastic accomplishment!

TheEagleman has to agree with OT....the win last night was huge but not as big as some of those victories in the late 70's and early 80's......forgot to mention that the win last night ended Baylor's 22 game home winning streak....I also think that ORU was the only team to beat a national seed yesterday...very impressive for a team that has played mostly mediocre baseball all year....they are just starting to come together....Drew Bowen and Joe Spring had to be the MVPs last night!.... :clap:

By the way, Bogus...that 3-2 pitch by Spring to the 2nd to last batter appeared to get the outside corner....as a former longtime umpire....TheEagleman would have loved to ring up that final batter just to tick off the home crowd....but I guess the ump last night thought it was outside....it sure looked good.......and yes, when Pickar failed to block that swinging strike 3 on the next batter it seemed that the baseball gods might be going against us....can you imagine if the final batter had hit a 3 run walkoff HR to win the game?.....oh my....TheEagleman would have needed to crack open a couple more brews to ease the pain..... ;-)

Just listened to Geoff Haxton's radio blub.

Was exciting!

Made you feel like you were were right there!

I also think that ORU was the only team to beat a national seed yesterday...

I believe that this was the first national seed to lose their first round game since 2008.

Just listened to Geoff Haxton's radio blub.

Was exciting!

Made you feel like you were were right there!

www.twitter.com/geoffhaxton

I listened too and I was reminded of the Bears booing after the game. I was too excited to notice at the time, but my kids noticed it and thought it was classless. It's not like the guy struck out on a called strike and they were booing the umpire. ??

I listened too and I was reminded of the Bears booing after the game. I was too excited to notice at the time, but my kids noticed it and thought it was classless. It's not like the guy struck out on a called strike and they were booing the umpire. ??

I didn't hear it last night on the broadcast but I heard it on the clip above, and thought the same thing. But even more surprising, on the game-highlilghts clip, they also booed after Goro hit the home run! I was pretty amazed at that - unless they were booing their own pitcher, but that's pretty classless, too.

You run into some amazing situations with fans at these schools with high expectations. I don't know what it is about baseball - the fact that there's not constant action or what, but it really seems to bring out the ugliness in fans. I think for ugly fans Clemson has to take the trophy.

(AP photo) Oral Roberts’ Nate Goro (right) reaches home plate after his solo home run off Baylor relief pitcher Dillon Newman in the eighth inning Friday in Waco.

628x471.jpg

They booed the umpire all night - seems they felt the outside corner strike calls should only apply to THEIR pitchers!

I didn't hear it last night on the broadcast but I heard it on the clip above, and thought the same thing. But even more surprising, on the game-highlilghts clip, they also booed after Goro hit the home run! I was pretty amazed at that - unless they were booing their own pitcher, but that's pretty classless, too.

There's always the possibility they were booing one of their own fans on the grassy hill behind left field who got the home run ball and failed to chuck it back on the field, ala Wrigley Field.

There's always the possibility they were booing one of their own fans on the grassy hill behind left field who got the home run ball and failed to chuck it back on the field, ala Wrigley Field.

Yeah - no doubt some seven year old kid that came to the game in his T-ball uniform, and the highlight of his life up until that moment was getting a home run baseball from an NCAA tournament game.

You're probably right.

After running up a 4-0 lead, Baylor is tied with UTA 4-4 going into the bottom of the fifth. Baylor is the visiting team via a coin flip.