KEVI LUPER

Holtontulsa

What do you do if you have a superstar high school recruit ready to sign but only on the condition he or she gets to wear his or her high school number that happens to be retired? Not a likely scenario for ORU, but I have always wondered about that.

If I remember correctly, we don't actually retire the number - we retire the jersey. A player could technically still wear the number.

Somebody correct me if I have this wrong.

What do you do if you have a superstar high school recruit ready to sign but only on the condition he or she gets to wear his or her high school number that happens to be retired? Not a likely scenario for ORU, but I have always wondered about that.

You cajole them into thinking another number is a step up. "That number is SO high school . . ."

HAHAHA TMH, That is a good one! I would assume that they would simply retire the Jersey. If you think about it, some programs that would potentially retire a lot of numbers would begin to limit themselves. None of the numbers on any jersey can be higher than a five for the simple fact the a ref has to be able to report a players number with 1 hand. If the player wore #16 they couldn't do that on two hands, it would require 3 hands. So they are already limited in the numbers they can use. It is basically 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 45-50, so it seems that you have an option of 36 jersery numbers, top tier programs that would possibly already have 10-15 retired numbers could be in trouble down the line somewhere :-)

HAHAHA TMH, That is a good one! I would assume that they would simply retire the Jersey. If you think about it, some programs that would potentially retire a lot of numbers would begin to limit themselves. None of the numbers on any jersey can be higher than a five for the simple fact the a ref has to be able to report a players number with 1 hand. If the player wore #16 they couldn't do that on two hands, it would require 3 hands. So they are already limited in the numbers they can use. It is basically 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 45-50, so it seems that you have an option of 36 jersery numbers, top tier programs that would possibly already have 10-15 retired numbers could be in trouble down the line somewhere :smile:

That's the very reason that for many years ORU hadn't retired ANY numbers - only jerseys. That allowed the nunber to still be used. But I think it was with the retirment of Roberts' and Fuqua's numbers that they decided to retire a VERY LIMITED NUMBER of numbers.