Finals Tickets

OKC Eagle

"If so, looking at your team you need to rebuild, not reload. Without Scott Drew to help you still recruit (even though he tried to help out with Kone) it could be awhile before Valpo wins much of anything."

Im not disgruntled, and while sure we need work- I dont know about your rebulding remark, mom. Rebuilding suggests to me that we have been struggling along with the likes of Western and Centenary...and that simply is not true. As far as who we have coming to VU next year, I have no idea.

Anyways- good luck vs CSU. I agree with other poster that it would be better for the conference if ORU wins. Either way you get post season play.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• orumom

• OKC Eagle

• ORUTex

• valpo92

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rob Marshall

Well, today, I'll take 77-58. And 0 for 11. But keep living in the past.

Also, for the record, we weren't in the conference for the first 3 of those 8.

guys, guys, guys ... Valpo deserves a lot more respect than a lot of ORU fans want to give them. Credit Homer Drew and Crusader basketball for giving the other Mid Con members something to aspire to. Not unlike what ORU has done (and is doing) for the league in many other sports (volleyball, baseball, golf, etc.). A rising tide lifts everyone's boat, and I'm all for good healthy competition.

Consider the Missouri Valley Conference and how competitive that league is ... Indiana State finished 9th in the Valley after starting the season 8-0, including a win over the Big Ten's Indiana Hoosiers as well as other in-state rivals Butler and Ball State, before falling on tough times in conference play including a tough quarter-finals loss in the conference tournament to #1 seed Wichita State after leading over the Shockers late in the game.

RM, you know I luv ya but let's save the Valpo strokes for another day. Tonight was the best birthday present I could have received, seeing Oppland, Konan & Howard headed back to Indiana.

This is our day & our team & coaches have worked hard to get this far. Perhaps you have forgotten, but Valpo NEVER has love for ORU.

We should win tomorrow & go to the NCAA, if not we settle for the NIT. But, IUPUI & Valpo just get to go home with no more games for their graduating seniors and I for one prefer how it feels to know our seniors haven't finished yet. :)

Guest Rob Marshall
RM, you know I luv ya but let's save the Valpo strokes for another day.

This is our day & our team & coaches have worked hard to get this far. Perhaps you have forgotten, but Valpo NEVER has love for ORU.

We should win tomorrow & go to the NCAA, if not we settle for the NIT. But, IUPUI & Valpo just get to go home with no more games for their graduating seniors.

Certainly don't want to be overly spiritual here, but frankly I think we all need to remember what the Bible teaches us ... Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. Not trying to lead a crusade for the VU Crusader nation, simply saying they have had a lot of men's basketball success in NW Indiana (in the Mid Con) and are deserving of a gracious exit.

Just trying to provide a little "fair balance" here and remind us all that the world is still round. Gracious in victory, gracious in defeat.

"Just trying to provide a little "fair balance" here and remind us all that the world is still round. Gracious in victory, gracious in defeat."

Well said. I sat amongst a sea of ORU fans and congratulated all of those that were near me when the game ended.

As much as I dislike Valpo between the lines I have to admire any school that has a Crusader as its mascot. Not exactly PC for the times we're living in.

they have had a lot of men's basketball success in NW Indiana

Translation: VALPO CAN'T WIN IN TULSA!!

Just kidding around - Valpo's a class program, their fans are great, and I would like to see them get better for the conference's sake. But what good is a rivalry if you can't talk a little smack after a big win?

I was reading somewhere that the Missouri Valley Conference commissioner was withholding revenues from the teams in the conference if they didn't schedule tough enough games. That is a conference that wanted to get better really badly.

Guest Rob Marshall
I was reading somewhere that the Missouri Valley Conference commissioner was withholding revenues from the teams in the conference if they didn't schedule tough enough games. That is a conference that wanted to get better really badly.

That is true. And it's worked! :idea:

RM, you know I luv ya but let's save the Valpo strokes for another day. Tonight was the best birthday present I could have received, seeing Oppland, Konan & Howard headed back to Indiana.

We should win tomorrow & go to the NCAA, if not we settle for the NIT. But, IUPUI & Valpo just get to go home with no more games for their graduating seniors and I for one prefer how it feels to know our seniors haven't finished yet. :)

Am thankful for the win and both hope and expect to win tomorrow night, if not I will still appreciate all the fans, players, coaches, cheerleaders plus other support personnel that came from all the teams to the tournament. Without them there could be no tournament.

We met several fans that came to the tournament in Tulsa from various schools, neither did we meet any that were unpleasant.

So am I glad they are leaving? NO! I wish they could all stay to the end.

I don't believe you have won the Mid-Con Tourney though have you?

I'll take 8 of 12 any day to 0 for 12... We will be back, just wait.

Well you have 365 days until you can prove that theory. You'll have a problem when you run into ORU again though. Wishful thinking... enjoy the offseason. We'll send you post cards from wherever we end up.

I would put ORU's lengthy history and tradition up against Valpo's any day. I have tons of respect for what Valpo did in the 90's but ORU was a top 25 program regularly in the early 70's. We made the Elite Eight & missed the Final Four by a last minute shot. That run alone weighs more than Valpo's history.

So am I glad they are leaving? NO! I wish they could all stay to the end.

The difference between ORU fans and the majority of the other schools' fans is, when we go to the tournament we attend 'every' game, men's & women's (We did it in Moline, Ft Wayne & KC) Understandably because of the expense the loosing players & coaches leave the next day. I am sorry to see the Valpo fans not stick it out in Tulsa, like the ORU fans did in Ft Wayne, but we can't force them.

We met several fans that came to the tournament in Tulsa from various schools, neither did we meet any that were unpleasant.

I understand that you met some nice fans, so have we. But, obviously you weren't in Ft Wayne where the beer flowed at the games and we found out what drunk & obnoxious really was. There just wasn't anything I could compare to a few hundred drunk students that had no inhibitions and sprinkle in some drunk adults who should have known better than act the way they did. Hopefully the MidCon will continue to hold the tournament in facilities where we don't have to deal with that.

"Translation: VALPO CAN'T WIN IN TULSA!!"

Well, thats not quite true...

Clarification - Valpo has never won against ORU men's basketball in Tulsa!

"Translation: VALPO CAN'T WIN IN TULSA!!"

Well, thats not quite true... :wink:

Good to see you on the board again, 92, and even better to see you at the UMAC this weekend!

Sorry about the tough day yesterday for Valpo. I don't blame a lot of the Valpo fans for heading home. Yesterday was a hard day for them. I talked to TD last night, and he said he's sticking around for today's games.

Some Valpo fans were just giving their's away tonight. St Louis Valpo isn't staying. You might see if he knows some people who would leave tickets at the will call and you could mail them a check.

The reports of my departure are not only premature, but false. I briefly mentioned that I was still thinking it over, and MrsSmith saw me today and said, "I thought you weren't going to be here!"

Not true, categorically denied, and in fact I stayed for the men's game tonight as I always do.

I had to take a few laps around the upper concourse last night in between games, but through talking that and talking to you, blue, blue82 (met for first time), oruterry, tmh2826, bogus, and others, I felt much better. Really, the hate in my heart was primarily because I don't like to see my team get their butts kicked in front of thousands of screaming ORU fans :wink:

but I'm over it :wink:

Once again, most Valpo fans stayed to the end, because we are fans of the conference. There are some who went home, as there would be with any team's fans after an early exit, but outside of ORU, Valpo still has the best traveling fans fo any school in the conference, and we are probably as good as you guys on that score.

Not that the thought of an early departure never entered my mind, of course, but by the time of the CSU-IUPUI game I quickly realized that tonight's game would be an exciting one no matter which team won.

Great job in the 2nd half by the Golden Eagles in putting the pesky Cougars away. You had me worried in the first half, though :wink:

I am sorry to see the Valpo fans not stick it out in Tulsa, like the ORU fans did in Ft Wayne, but we can't force them.

Mom, most of us DID stay. The teams went home, and so did the VuCru (because they have classes, I'm sure), but not more than a handful of other fans left early. Not sure where you got the impression that we left from.

"Good to see you on the board again, 92, and even better to see you at the UMKC this weekend! "

UMKC??? Too much mid con B ball on the brain , eh tmh? :D

It was nice to see you and all others I happen to run into. I cerainly would havel ike to have been more visible, but I work rotating shifts and of course this week had to be graveyard week. :cry:

"Sorry about the tough day yesterday for Valpo. I don't blame a lot of the Valpo fans for heading home."

Well, at least for me home is only about 3/4 of a mile from the UMAC!

Good luck in the dance!