Season predictions

oruvoice

Check the SL section. I was way ahead of OT on this one, although he does seem to have spent more time on his post.

Then the question becomes-- What happens if ORU can get on a roll in conference play and the RPI continues to creep higher, but they lose in the Summit Final?

Will the committee consider a (possibly) 27-7 ORU team with 3-4 quality wins, including high-profile games with Xavier and the TBA Bracketbuster opponent? And how do they treat our RPI as a result of the Xavier game? :nerd:

Questions, questions. There is a lot of basketball to be played before then, but I hope that the student-athletes get more motivated by reading about the thoughts that their excellently played complete game have unleashed in their fans. This is truly heady stuff!

Then the question becomes-- What happens if ORU can get on a roll in conference play and the RPI continues to creep higher, but they lose in the Summit Final?

Will the committee consider a (possibly) 27-7 ORU team with 3-4 quality wins, including high-profile games with Xavier and the TBA Bracketbuster opponent? And how do they treat our RPI as a result of the Xavier game? :nerd:

That's my point: never said we would actually get a bubble team in the tournament; just said we would be in the discussion.

We would need for the regular season, 25-win champion to lose in the Summit League Conference Tournament finals to the 22-or-so-wins-and-good-RPI second-place team for the question to be asked that last week before Selection Sunday: does the Summit League regular season champion deserve an at-large bid?

SDSU only needs 10 conference wins to reach 20 wins total.

Oakland needs 12 - you know they'll get them.

And, we just need to go 12-6 in conference - at best - to get to 20 wins. Won't even need to do that, if we beat Texas Tech or the BracketBuster opponent.

We're going to have three teams with 20+ wins - mark it down...

Actually that part I can agree with - it's the suggestion of a second team from the conference making it to the Tournament that I can't believe will happen.

• 4 weeks later...

I just reviewed all of these predictions and at the time I would never have taken the over. Now, I would be disappointed to have more than 7 losses at the end of the regular season. It is not impossible that we only lose one more (I just don't see us sweeping the Dakota roadie).

Yep...even my prediction of 23-8 (which I was being optimistic at the time), looks like it may be off.

We've got a real shot at 25-6....maybe even better!!!

Just have to defend the home court the next two weeks. We do that and we set up a HUGE Dakota trip and almost GUARANTEE a BIG televised match-up for BracketBuster.

No reason why we can't win at least 25....but yeah, the Dakota trip and the bracketbuster games will all be very tough.....those goofballs at SDSU and NDSU will be all liquored up on Old Milwaukee Light by tip off and will make those arenas very loud and unfriendly.....Money can't buy the publicity that ORU would get from a nationally televised game at the Mabee Center in the Bracketbuster.....especially if it's against a big local draw like Wichita State and we were able to pack the building....TheEagleman wonders if we would get anywhere close to that even playing a nationally ranked team like St. Mary's.....could get interesting.... :nerd:

A matchup with a ranked St. Marys team would attract a lot of attention and a win over St. Marys would help our NCAA seed if we were able to make the NCAAs.

TheEagleman agrees that St. Marys would be the most attractive opponent for an ESPN televised game and our RPI....but unlikely that match up would attract as many paying customers to the game at Mabee Center than a WSU match up..... :!:

Wichita State is the only "attractive" potential opponent that will appeal to the casual, walk-up fan in Tulsa.

We need someone with local sex appeal to give us a great crowd for TV - St. Mary's or Northern Iowa ain't gonna cut it.

Give us the Shockers!

One reason the NDSU game was so great was that the 150-200 or so NDSU fans were vocal at times. That increased the intensity and changed the dynamic of the game. A large contingent of WSU fans would do the same thing and would make a great atmosphere for TV as well.

Yes....about 1000 loud Shocker fans would wake up the Mabee Center faithful....and make the Maniacs go ballistic......that would be a fun game....ORU-WSU sounds perfect for ESPN and could sell out the building..... :nerd: