Season predictions

oruvoice

I am going to say 24-8 heading into the conference tournament. Three wins there, for 27-8 and a trip to the Big Dance (13 seed)...if we stay healthy.

What say ye?

TheEagleman would take 27-8 in a New York minute.....our early season schedule thru Christmas is very difficult.....even if we stay healthy, it's going to be difficult to be much over .500......Voice, I guess you are counting on a 2 loss season in the Summit.....could be tough......TheEagleman will wait another 10 days before making a prediction....I want to see how we look vs. Rogers St...... :nerd:

I'll make a conservative prediction of 23-12 with ORU winning the Summit. That's four games better than last year's 19 wins.

The 23 wins also matches what ORU did in Caleb Green and Ken Tutt's senior year.

• Upvote 1

19-12 going into the conference tournament. (edited to reflect 31 games per below)

OK, I'll bite on this now.

I like to divide the season into chunks, and I tend to plan on "worst case scenarios" (barring injuries and such that could result in even worse scenarios).

As I stated somewhere else before, I think we will go no worse than 2-2 in the four NIT games. Whether we lose to UTSA in the opener, or whether we go to New York or not, I still come up with 2-2.

In the very tough home non-conference games (Austin Peay, Missouri State, Texas Tech, and the BracketBuster game), I also think we will go no worse than 2-2. Now granted, we could win all four, but APSU and MSU are both preseason favorites in their leagues, Tech is coached by Billy Gillespie and he will have them fired up on his return to Tulsa (he was an assistant at TU for Bill Self), and the Bracket Buster foe will be tough, also. So, .500 against that group is not too shabby.

As for the non-conference road schedule, I see us only winning one game (UALR or Oklahoma, but probably not both), and losing the rest to some very good teams: Xavier and Gonzaga are both ranked in the Top 25, and West Virginia is getting votes in the poll. So, I say 1-4 in those games.

Finally, I think we could very well go 16-2 in conference play, but I'm going to say 15-3, maybe even 14-4: I think we lose at Oakland and SDSU, with possible losses at NDSU and South Dakota (the Coyotes will be better than people think). We're bound to have a clunker on the road in there somewhere. Let's split the difference in the variance, and call it 15-3.

That amounts to 20-11, over a 31-game regular season (not sure why Voice and others are predicting a total of 32 games played before the Summit Tournament)

Add to that 3-0 in the conference tournament (with an epic win over Oakland in the finals), a #14 seed in the NCAA tournament, and a hard-fought but double-digit loss in the first round, and we finish at 23-12.

Bonus Prediction: With a heavy heart (but heavier wallet), Scott Sutton takes a new job in the Missouri Valley, Horizon or WAC, takes Tom Hankins with him, and Sean Sutton is named head coach at ORU from an impressive list of applicants including Florida State assistant Corey Williams, OU assistant Chris Crutchfield, Florida assistant Norm Roberts, Texas A&M assistant Glynn Cyprien, and Arkansas assistant Melvin Watkins, among others.

Wow! How do you top that prediction? I will try though with with a 22-9 over regular season. Win three games in conf. tournament and win one as a 13 seed in NCAA Regional. I also agree this could be Scott's last year and that is ok. He has done so much for ORU but bring on the Closer!!!! I'll take Corey along with Sean staying here one or two more years along with Kyan Brown . :fubar: Think about it!

Not sure how I miscounted games, but I will revise to 23-8 heading into the conference tourney and 26-8 coming out of it,

I think this will be a very special year.

TheEagleman thinks 21-10 in the regular season.....if we stay fairly healthy.....losing a key player or two could cost us a few wins......this team is capable of winning 23 or 24 and could be as low as 18 with injuries.....so I will hedge somewhere in the middle....a big early season test will be the opening NIT game vs. TX-San Antonio....I see that as a game this team needs to win......and if TheEagleman's travel plans work out.....I could be in OKC that week on business and am hoping to attend that contest..... :nerd:

I approach this season prediction much the way OT does, in sections. (Actually, the realization that I process things similar to my old buddy Titan is somewhat disturbing, but I digress...)

First of all, I don't think we'll lose a game in the Mabee Center this season. Yes, we have a unusually strong home schedule, which could include an preseason NIT bracket and will also likely bring in a highly-rated Bracketbuster opponent... but our historical home record is very impressive - we have an experienced team - and I think fans and students will be energized by the success of this team and jump on the bandwagon. And, yes, I know that it has been 15 years since the last Golden Eagle team went undefeated at home... but this is a special team.

Non-conference road games - VERY tough schedule, with many opportunities to break through with marquee wins against well-known and well-respected competition, but the wins will likely be few. In fact, I can only throw a 1 in the win column, with that win likely at OU or UALR.

Pre-Season NIT - I'm optimistic here as well and think we will at least break even - and could pull off a 3-1 record. I can't see anything worse than a split in Stillwater - and if we split and then host (and my Mabee Center prediction comes true), we're 3-1. If we pull off a big upset and win the Stillwater bracket, then we obviously can't finish worse than 2-2, and I think we stand a chance to win one in NYC. But, if we split at OSU - and then travel for the consolation bracket - we likely split again for a 2-2 mark. For prediction purposes, I'll stick with 2-2, as we can't guarantee a hosting opportunity - and I'm still concerned about our overall depth to handle potential injuries as the season grinds on.

Summit - sweep at home, and 6-3 on the road. Oakland, IUPUI, IPFW, NDSU and SDSU could all pose road challenges, so I'll take a 3-2 record in those games - and a fluke loss somewhere else in the Badlands.

Breakdown:

NC home 4-0

NC away 1-4

NIT 2-2

Summit home 9-0

Summit away 6-3

Summit tourney 3-0

Record at end of

November 4-3

December 9-6

January 17-7

February 22-9

Enter NCAA tournament as 14 seed at 25-9

The great news is that 25-9 would be our best record since our last NCAA team, but might not even be the best record on campus this season! :clap:

Go Eagles!

• 1 month later...

Unrelated to final record but mentioned in some of the above posts, I wasn't too keen on The Closer as our head coach in the past, but with his additional experience at Florida State since leaving ORU I'd love to see him come back.

TheEagleman thought 6 weeks ago that we would be 6-7 or 7-6 at best at Christmas....with a win on Thursday night we will be 9-4....amazing....we lost one we should have won (UTSA) and won one we should have lost (UALR)....also, we were fortunate to have 3 starters suspended when we creamed 8th ranked Xavier....all in all, a win on Thursday night would climax a sensational non conference portion of the season....and considering we lost our best defensive backcourt player in Ken Holdman and were without DBH for the first 8 games.....this team has shown talent and heart....and they still haven't played their best game for 40 minutes....2012 could be very interesting.... :nerd:

I had us at 21-11 in the regular season, but I thought we would only be 5-7 at this juncture:

• I thought we would split the Austin Peay and Missouri State games, not sweep them.

• I thought we would go 2-2 in the NIT, not 3-1. Who knew we would host two such winnable games?

• I thought we would split OU and UALR, which we did, but I thought we would lose at Xavier, which we didn't.

Do you realize that we will likely by favored in 16 of our remaining 19 regular season games? Road games at Oakland and the two Dakota State schools will be the only ones where we are an underdog.

Even if we lose all three of those games, plus one or even two more clunker games, or a tough BracketBuster match-up, we're still at 22-9 for the regular season, which would be great (and, I might add, EXACTLY what TrueBlue82 predicted back in early November).

But, consider this: what if we manage to win ALL of the games we're favored in, plus just ONE of those three tough road games?

Well, now you're talking abut some rarefied air, folks: 25-6 before we even play a conference tournament game.

Along those lines, South Dakota State sits at 10-4 right now, while Oakland is at 8-4, which makes me wonder: could we possibly be looking at three conference teams with 20 wins this year?

And if that happens, and the league RPI keeps hovering in the mid-teens, is it REALLY too inconceivable to start talking about (wait for it....) a Summit League team seriously being considered as a "bubble team" for AN NCAA AT-LARGE BID??? :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

A lot of "ifs" in that well laid out argument - I just don't see it happening.

If it happens, we heard it here first.

A lot of "ifs" in that well laid out argument - I just don't see it happening.

If it happens, we heard it here first.

SDSU only needs 10 conference wins to reach 20 wins total.

Oakland needs 12 - you know they'll get them.

And, we just need to go 12-6 in conference - at best - to get to 20 wins. Won't even need to do that, if we beat Texas Tech or the BracketBuster opponent.

We're going to have three teams with 20+ wins - mark it down...

Oakland will win 20+ legitimate D1 games not sure about SDSU...as far as the committee is concerned SDSU only has 8 wins and Oakland has 7 right now.