Conference Move Reactions

Dr. Cornelius

I get a kick out of what some of the other Summit League schools' fans are saying about ORU's departure. Especially the Dakota schools, who seem determined to make this move about them, and our supposed "We're-taking-our-ball-and-going-home!" reason for leaving. Yeah, right: ORU has been wanting to get into a Texas-based athletic conference FOR 40 YEARS, and suddenly this move is all about the new-kid-on-the-block Dakotas? Please...get over yourselves.

Lol, according to the TW article- "The Eagles won 134 regular-season and tournament championships and nine Commissioners Cups, awarded annually to the league school with the best overall athletic program."

Last year ORU men's basketball played in the tournament championship and played in the postseason; women's basketball won the regular season for the 2nd straight season and played in the WNIT; baseball will likely leave the conference having won the tournament every single year. And all three are favorites for the upcoming seasons.

Yes, please save us from the overwhelming level of competition.

more reaction...Terry Vandrovec from the Argus Leader take on the move and the Summit League going forward (first 5 or 6 minutes of the interview)...LINK

I get a kick out of what some of the other Summit League schools' fans are saying about ORU's departure.

Especially the Dakota schools, who seem determined to make this move about them, and our supposed "We're-taking-our-ball-and-going-home!" reason for leaving.

Yeah, right: ORU has been wanting to get into a Texas-based athletic conference FOR 40 YEARS, and suddenly this move is all about the new-kid-on-the-block Dakotas?

Please...get over yourselves.

It's not uncommon for a few fans to have a knee-jerk reaction when first hearing the news,kind of like you did when you first read their comments

USD Coyote fan hear. My team joins the Summit this year so we only get 1 year of competing against ORU. I first want to say congratulations on your move to the SLC. The move to the SLC makes sense for your university on many levels. Last year USD had the choice of either joining the Big Sky (all sports) or the MVFC(football)/Summit(all other sports). One of the advantages of the MVFC/Summit was the renewed rivalries for USD with SDSU, NDSU and UNI in the MVFC. The MVFC/Summit was also a better geographic fit. We also viewed the Summit as the best choice because of universities like ORU. No doubt, the vast majority of Dakota school (USD, NDSU, SDSU) fans understand that ORU leaving the Summit is not a good thing. Yes, you will see some knee jerk reactions and comments disparaging ORU. That is because they DIDN"T want to see ORU leave. I wouldn't base my judgement on how fan bases feel about ORU leaving the Summit on a few comments posted from a university centric message board. Trust me, the Dakota schools fans do respect ORU and understand your move. I think it is safe to say that the Dakota schools would do the same thing if they were in ORU shoes. Losing ORU, a solid univerisity in both academics and athletics, will take some work. With that said I have confidence the Summit League will survive and continue to move forward. Every university has to look out for themselves and do what is best for your university. The SLC is the right choice for your university, student athletes and fans. Best of luck in the SLC.

Go Yotes.

Appreciate the posts, Jacket and USD. Best of luck to you as well...after this year of course.

Thanks for your thoughtful post, USDCoyotes. There are quite a few disparaging posts on other Summit League message boards proposing all sorts of unflattering motivations for ORU to be leaving. I appreciate your positive comments and recognition that there ARE legitimate reasons for our decision to change conferences.

Thanks for your thoughtful post, USDCoyotes. There are quite a few disparaging posts on other Summit League message boards proposing all sorts of unflattering motivations for ORU to be leaving. I appreciate your positive comments and recognition that there ARE legitimate reasons for our decision to change conferences.

The negative comments, from Summit League, message boards is more than likely based on the remaining universities concern for the continued survival of the Summit League. In situations like this the remaining university fans blame, fair or not, the university that has put the conference in a perceived condition of weakness. I wouldn't, and I doubt you are, get too concerned about the initial comments. Like I said in my earlier post, ORU was viewed as one of the marquee universities of the conference. You made a move to another conference. I think the initial reaction would be expected. It's the typical grief and blame. Time will heal all wounds.

Go Yotes.