Conference Move Reactions

Dr. Cornelius

Great stuff, Doc - always interesting to see what fans at other schools are thinking.

Sure is nice to see ORU considered desirable - we've certainly come a long way since "The Dark Ages" in the '90's, when the Mid-Con was the only league that would have us.

If I remember correctly, we very much wanted into the Southland Conference, but they did not want us at the time.

I agree that it is nice to see/hear good things being said about ORU and its athletic department/programs. It is a tribute to Mike Carter, Scott Sutton, Jerry Finkbeiner and Rob Walton.

If I remember correctly, we very much wanted into the Southland Conference, but they did not want us at the time.

I agree that it is nice to see/hear good things being said about ORU and its athletic department/programs. It is a tribute to Mike Carter, Scott Sutton, Jerry Finkbeiner and Rob Walton.

And, oruvoice.

I have really enjoyed the last 14 years in the Summit League and I will miss the match-ups with the teams from up north. The Summit League has been good to ORU and ORU was good for the Summit League. Tom Douple has had a lot of foresight and has made strong pro-active decisions to add teams that fit the geographic footprint of the Summit League. Because of his foresight, losing ORU won't be nearly as devastating as it would have been otherwise.

The other Summit baseball teams have to be elated at the wide-open opportunity to get an at-large bid to the NCAA regionals. This will be a breath of fresh air for the baseball teams, as long as they don't have any more defections. They need to get another school with a baseball team (are they any baseball only schools out there besides DBU looking for a conference home?) or encourage another school to add baseball (probably won't happen) because if I remember correctly, USD and UNO (Omaha) don't have baseball. So, losing Centenary, SUU, and ORU in successive seasons is basically a net loss of 3 baseball teams in a row.

Also, with a strong conf RPI there wouldn't be quite as much pressure to win the conf baseball tourney because you could have a legitimate chance at an at-large depending on the non conf schedule.

I also agree that the Summit League (Mid-Con) has been a wonderful fit for ORU, and I am grateful for them opening their doors as we transitioned back into DI from our hiatus in the NAIA. Like Mike Carter said in his press conference, we were not looking to move. This was an opportunity that we simply had to take as we look at the future of Athletics and the University. With that said, there will be some bad blood when we go play teams on the road. I'm glad that we have a mature group of guys because they are going to have to hunker down night in and night out.

I get a kick out of what some of the other Summit League schools' fans are saying about ORU's departure.

Especially the Dakota schools, who seem determined to make this move about them, and our supposed "We're-taking-our-ball-and-going-home!" reason for leaving.

Yeah, right: ORU has been wanting to get into a Texas-based athletic conference FOR 40 YEARS, and suddenly this move is all about the new-kid-on-the-block Dakotas?

Please...get over yourselves.

I chose to stop reading certain threads over there because I knew it was predominately a bunch of emotional fans spewing ignorance. I have all the respect in the world for those that stay classy, and choose to ignore the others. It's not worth it.

I get a kick out of what some of the other Summit League schools' fans are saying about ORU's departure.

Especially the Dakota schools, who seem determined to make this move about them, and our supposed "We're-taking-our-ball-and-going-home!" reason for leaving.

Yeah, right: ORU has been wanting to get into a Texas-based athletic conference FOR 40 YEARS, and suddenly this move is all about the new-kid-on-the-block Dakotas?

Please...get over yourselves.

Umm, isn't the center of the universe on the border of the Dakotas?!? LMAO!

So southland does not have Men's soccer? What other sports do they have that we don't?

Football. Men's soccer will end up staying in the Summit League - or moving to the Missouri Valley.

ORU is the big dog in the Southland when it comes to basketball attendance. We need to crush these guys and make it to the NCAA every year!! We cannot sink to their level of mediocrity.

ORU attendance declined last year to just 3,369. But ORU averaged 4,662 in 2009/10, 5,625 in 2008/09, 5,830 in 2007/08 and 6,484 in 2006/07

Last year, the Southland had eight schools averaging less than 1,500 per game. The Summit League only had four schools averaging less than 1,500 per game. The Summit League had four schools averaging over 2,500 per game while the Southland had just one.

Southland Basketball 2010/2011 average home attendance: 1,555

Summit Basketball 2010/2011 average home attendance: 2,147

UTA - 811 home average

A&M Corpus Cristi - 1499 home average

Central Arkansas - 1348 home average

Lamar - 3176 home average

McNeese St - 1314 home average

Nichols St - 947 home average

Northwestern St - 1340 home average

Sam Houston St - 1434 home average

Southeastern LA - 860 home average

Stephen F Austin - 2290 home average

Texas St - 2084 home average

UTSA - 1560 home average

Centenary - 531 home average

IPFW - 1975 home average

IUPUI - 1252 home average

North Dakota St - 3305 home average

Oakland - 4130 home average

South Dakota St - 2503 home average

Southern Utah - 2315 home average

UMKC - 1327 home average

Western Ilinois - 758 home average

ORU - 3369 home average

With unfamiliar teams coming to the Mabee Center, and with no rivalries as yet developed, attendance may take a hit before it increases. Hopefully a few of the better-known schools will spark local interest, but I have to admit, I'm a bit concerned about attendance in the near future.

Oakland outdrew us last year? Wow...

The NCAA allows schools to include games played at alternate arenas in their home attendance figures. Oakland played at least one game at The Palace last year, which skewed their numbers.

Ah, that explains it. The attendance this year should be pretty good considering the games against Texas Tech, Austin Peay and the Bracket Buster.