Ten Things I Would Like To See This Season

Old Titan

That would mean a lot of assists for Pearson or Holdman.

Given the emphasis that Sean Sutton has made on improving the team's defensive effort this year (I have heard him speak about it a couple of times), I am hoping we can keep opponents under 70 points.

I wonder if playing harder on the defensive end will impact our energy on the other side of the court?

I would be thrilled even if Roundtree has exactly 2 fouls at the half.

I would like to see a season where we do not reliably have a scoring drought of 4-6 minutes every game (often in the 3rd quarter of the game).

I also want to see Ken Holdman block an opponent's center's shot one more time.

Craion will make a world of difference on the defensive end. Playing against the type of guys Morrison did all summer has got to help him. I think he will be in the low 20's for scoring average this season.

TheEagleman will be surprised if Roundtree doesn't average at least 12-13 pts per game.....unless he's constantly in foul trouble....there is no way he's not in double digits.....this guy has a ton of raw talent..... :nerd:

Roundtree simply won't be the focus of many offensive sets the way Craion, Morrison and Bell-Holter will. Most of the points he scores will be stick-backs of offensive rebounds, and free throws.

Oh really, Skippy?......I beg to differ.....and with our shooting.....there could be plenty of put backs.....TheEagleman bets OT a Dos Eqquis dark lager that Tree averages double digits in points...... ;-)

Roundtree simply won't be the focus of many offensive sets the way Craion, Morrison and Bell-Holter will. Most of the points he scores will be stick-backs of offensive rebounds, and free throws.

I would think that Morrison and Craion will be the 2 leading scorers, but Roundtree would probably be third. He just seems to be more smooth, consistent and confident than DBH on the offensive end. I would love to see DBH gain confidence and consistency offensively and I expect that he will. I may be wrong because DBH will probably start and Roundtree might not, so DBH may end up getting more minutes. I don't mean that as a slight to DBH because he is probably a better post defender and rebounder than Roundtree, but overall I'm just glad to see some post depth that should help us navigate through potential foul trouble and allow us to always have a strong lineup on the floor.

TheEagleman is not sure about how good DBH plays defense.....the middle on our defense last year often had opponents driving thru faster than the express checkout lane at Walmart..... :nerd:

TheEagleman is not sure about how good DBH plays defense.....the middle on our defense last year often had opponents driving thru faster than the express checkout lane at Walmart..... :nerd:

DBH has gotten HUGE over the off-season. Last night he was wearing a nice, tight short sleeved shirt with the sleeves pulled up high to show off his tats and his guns!!

(Must not...give TMH....hard time about...man crush on DBH....)

Seriously, I think I mentioned this before, but I have been VERY impressed with how fit this year's team appears. The look long, lean, and hungry - props to the new strength and conditioning guy, who already seems to be paying dividends.

• Upvote 1

(Must not...give TMH....hard time about...man crush on DBH....)

Seriously, I think I mentioned this before, but I have been VERY impressed with how fit this year's team appears. The look long, lean, and hungry - props to the new strength and conditioning guy, who already seems to be paying dividends.

Hehe - does sound a little - uh - THAT WAY, doesn't it! :$

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big believer in trying to share the scoring when you have a lot of offensive weapons. I think a line-up like ours can instead result in one or two guys scoring a lot, because having so many other weapons on offense keeps the defense "honest". Opponents will have to play us "straight up", or else run the risk of getting burned by one of the other very-capable guys if they try to focus on Domo or Michael Craion.

We might see DoMo get more single coverage this season, and assuming he's the focal point of most of the offensive sets being called, he should get more opportunities to beat his man and score, while drawing more fouls and getting to the free throw line more often.

Here's how the team scoring could pan out this season under such a scenario:

Morrison: 20 (points a game)

Craion: 15

Niles: 12

Bell-Holter: 10

Roundtree: 8

Pearson: 6

rest of the bench: 6

Totals up to 77 points a game, which would be among the national leaders in scoring.

Now, if we can just hold our opponents under 70 a game, we're in good shape!

i wanted to wait until after both exhibition games to develop my annual "scoring by player" post. However, after the two games, I'm probably even more confused than I was before... How will DBH's back allow him to play (full speed, sparingly, not at all...) - and when might he be able to capture significant minutes? Is Ken's injury serious - has our best defender lost a step as a result? Is DoMo in a funk - or will he step up once the season starts and we're running our set offense with established plays?

Chemistry will be a BIG factor in this team's success - as the talent is definitely there - it's all a matter of how they play together as a team. Only twice in ORU history have four or more future 1,000 point scorers played on the same team in the same season. The last time was 97-98, with Walls, Taylor, Perry, Gill - and three of the four scored in double digits. The 2011-12 Golden Eagles have four potential 1,000 point scorers (DoMo, Tree, Niles, DBH) and Craion can make it to 1,000 in only two years if he averages 16 ppg (not out of the question). Having lots of consistent scorers is usually a very good scenario, unless the team chemistry is impacted. From what I've seen in the two games so far, I think that this is a pretty unselfish team, so I'm going to predict a very uncommon result - ORU will have five players on the team that average double digit scoring this season.

My projected scoring summary:

DoMo 16

Craion 14

Niles 13

Tree 12

DBH 10

Pearson 6

Holdman 4

Others 4

Total 79

I realize that a 79 point average is high for a team with a defense-minded coach (most since 03-04), but this team has some real scorers. And, I don't expect the scoring to be balanced every night, but the guy who's hot will carry the torch one game - and pass it to someone else on another night. That's the huge benefit of having so many scoring options. Obviously, injuries will play a key role, especially since we start out the season with a nine-man rotation... but if the injury bug doesn't bite too hard, this could be a very fun year for Golden Eagle fans.

• 2 weeks later...

+1,000,000

i'm convinced this coaching change would be worth at least one win per season in each of the last few years.

clearly, nothing has changed. Coach Sutton owns this loss to UTSA...no excuse for lettting that lead go away w/out calling a timeout

OT, ORUTerry, OKCEagle and TheEagleman were all saying the same thing at courtside....a 15 pt lead whittled down to 1 and no timeout.....somebody wake up Scott, PLEASE!!!!.... :puke:

I couldn't find the thread where frustration was expressed about the number of non-qualifiers and redshirts we have, so I thought I'd post this here - watching a little of the St. Johns-Texas A&M game today and the announcer was commenting that St. Johns is playing with only seven scolarship players due to several recruits not qualifying.

Guess it's a common problem.

Why can't they be declared eligibile before they sign? Why does the NCAA let them sign then declare them ineligible. Schools should not be able to give them an athletic scholarship unless they are eligible to play. I know that could throw wrenches in the way it is done currently but it would sure clear up things going into the season.

When are we going to find out whether these kids are going to be able to practice in the second semester?