Ten Things I Would Like To See This Season

Old Titan

My annual wish list, in absolutely no order at all:

1. When someone drives the baseline, we stop him before he reaches the paint. Even if it means tackling him.

2. A full-court press when we're NOT down by 10 points with 4:00 to go. In other words, when the opponent least expects it. Just to mess with them, and get our own juices flowing.

3. When we DO full-court press, it would be nice to not give up an immediate lay-up at the other end. Because when we do (and we always seem to early in the year), the press goes back on the shelf for another month - or year.

4. When we have a double-digit lead, and the opponent hits back-to-back shots to cut it to 8 or 9, an IMMEDIATE timeout, instead of waiting another minute or two until the media timeout, by which time the opponent has tied the game or taken the lead.

5. An inbounds play under our own basket that does NOT merely consist of chucking the ball 60 feet into the backcourt and hoping we get to it before they do.

6. Steven Roundtree with less than two fouls at halftime.

7. Dominique Morrison with more than 10 shots at halftime.

8. The return of the "YMCA". I don't care if it has homosexual overtones - the kids love it, and they don't care.

9. The banishment of the "rubber chicken throw" promotion during timeouts. It's old, it's not fair to the contestants, and it's stupid. In fact, ANY promotion that includes "The Chicken Dance Polka" should be considered an attack on America and must be stopped at all costs.

10. I love the band, and I love their song selections. I also love loud music - IN MY CAR OR ON MY HEADPHONES. It would be nice to actually carry on a conversation with a person sitting right next to me during timeouts and halftime. How about a little volume control?

Please add your own suggestions for the list: it's a free country (except when it comes to that "Chicken Dance" thing - I'm dead serious about that).

• Upvote 1

4. When we have a double-digit lead, and the opponent hits back-to-back shots to cut it to 8 or 9, an IMMEDIATE timeout, instead of waiting another minute or two until the media timeout, by which time the opponent has tied the game or taken the lead.

+1,000,000

i'm convinced this coaching change would be worth at least one win per season in each of the last few years.

Could we incorporate some vintage clips of past ORU players (Fuqua, Acres, Green, etc) on the scoreboard screen?

#8 - Ain't gonna happen. But, I agree with you.

#10 - Maybe the guy next to you doesn't want to hear you ramble on and on about what you'd do if you were the coach.

Other than that, good post.

#10 - Maybe the guy next to you doesn't want to hear you ramble on and on about what you'd do if you were the coach.

LOL: considering that for most games, it's my mom on one side and my 14-year-old son on the other, you are EXACTLY right!

They'll probably be shouting, "PLAY LOUDER!!" :-D

Yes please.

• Upvote 1

I would definitely be happy with just numbers 1, 4 and 6.

#1- Baseline, wing, top of the key, our on the ball defense has not been good. It's frustrating watching guys get to the paint at will.

#4- I've never really had an appreciation for taking early TO's to stop a run before it can start. Then I went to the OU game. They went on an absurd 18-0 run through 2 media breaks before we call a timeout with a 1:30 left in the half. And that was that.

#6- Baby steps. Maybe half of a half? 16:00 minute mark perhaps?

#11- Rod Pearson to play like he did last year from the 2nd half of the conference schedule through the tourney. 9.0 ppg, 3.0 apg.

• Upvote 1

Good post by OT....TheEagleman agrees with all of the above except not being at the games have never seen the "chicken thing"....sounds brutal.....how about a corporate sponsor for the arena?......the Dos Eqquis Mabee Center???.....Stay Thirsty, my friends.....love it..... ;-)

#11- Rod Pearson to play like he did last year from the 2nd half of the conference schedule through the tourney. 9.0 ppg, 3.0 apg.

+1

Point guard is really the only question mark in the starting line-up, in my opinion: if Pearson does like you say, we're good for 20+ wins.

But, if it's half the points you predict, and a 2-to-1 turnover-to-assist ration, then we've got problems.

I can say this: I've seen bits and pieces of three practices so far this season, and the two most impressive people on the floor have been Michael Craion and...(wait for it)...Rod Pearson.

TheEagleman is also hoping for a big season from Rod Pearson.....what is he....about 25 yrs old now?.....If Rod can give us a solid 25-28 MPG and Holdman 12-15.....we should be in good shape....love the defensive quickness that Kenny brings to the floor..... :nerd:

Keep in mind that Rod started strong two seasons ago, before the season-ending injury. Hopefully he'll be at full speed from the get-go this season.

I AM interested to know more about the "assist ration" that OT is talking about, though . . . ;-)

I'd like to see a win in the NCAA tournament. Of course more than one win would be just great!

Plus, a win at the WVU game which I'm planning on attending in a few weeks in Morgantown WV (almost heaven)!

I AM interested to know more about the "assist ration" that OT is talking about, though . . . ;-)

It's what the Army doles out to basketball players in the field, smart guy... :*

I would like to see Dominique Morrison reach 2,000+ points for his career. If he stays healthy and scores at nearly the same pace as last year, he should just about get there.

Last year he played in 31 games (he actually missed 4 games) and averaged 19.5 points a game. He scored 603 total points. I believe he is currently at 1406 career points. So he needs to score 594 points to get there.

With Michael Craion back, DoMo might not average 19.5 so it remains to be seen. But if we make the finals of the Summit League tournament, I think we will have played 32 games over the season. If he averaged 18.6 over 32 games, he would get there.

I know this is an individual goal rather than a team goal, but I'd like to see it for DoMo because he has meant a lot to this team over the last 3 years.

I'm not a big believer in trying to share the scoring when you have a lot of offensive weapons. I think a line-up like ours can instead result in one or two guys scoring a lot, because having so many other weapons on offense keeps the defense "honest". Opponents will have to play us "straight up", or else run the risk of getting burned by one of the other very-capable guys if they try to focus on Domo or Michael Craion.

We might see DoMo get more single coverage this season, and assuming he's the focal point of most of the offensive sets being called, he should get more opportunities to beat his man and score, while drawing more fouls and getting to the free throw line more often.

Here's how the team scoring could pan out this season under such a scenario:

Morrison: 20 (points a game)

Craion: 15

Niles: 12

Bell-Holter: 10

Roundtree: 8

Pearson: 6

rest of the bench: 6

Totals up to 77 points a game, which would be among the national leaders in scoring.

Now, if we can just hold our opponents under 70 a game, we're in good shape!