ORU vs. Oregon, 1977 NIT, entire first half

Old Titan

Here's the entire first half of the classic 1977 NIT first round game between ORU and the Oregon Ducks. Anthony Roberts goes for 30 in the first half on his way to an NCAA postseason-record of 65 points, but Oregon All-American Greg Ballard proves too much with 42 points of his own in the 90-89 Ducks win:

i'll watch it tonight.

would love to see the the mid-90's wins over OSU and arkansas again sometime.

thaks OT and Doc C for taking the time to post these old videos.

Incredible!! I think that's the first time I've seen Anthony Roberts play!! SO MANY THINGS date that video - the hair, the shorts, no shot clock, no three point line, BIG CROWD, and, very telling - apparently Chuck Dahms bumped his elbow on something, and the announcer said, "Dahms' elbow is still bleeding . . ." and no game stoppage! Ah, those were the days.

As I've said many times before, I was at Oregon when ORU played them, but by my calculations it was at the time of the earlier game. I was at Oregon in 74-75, 75-76, and then again in the fall of 77, before basketball would have started. So it must have been at the time of the previous match-up. I really wasn't paying attention to basketball at that time, but you couldn't miss the buzz on campus the next day.

THANKS SO MUCH, OT, for posting this!!! What a great thing to be able to see that game.

I am a HUGE proponent of getting these game films converted to digital format and allowing our fans to see ORU basketball history - but the capitalist in me says we (ORU GEC or someone) should make money off this. At the very least we should contact the opposing schools and their alumni base and sell them copies. If for nothing else just to cover the conversion costs. If that is possible given licensing rights, etc.

I am a HUGE proponent of getting these game films converted to digital format and allowing our fans to see ORU basketball history - but the capitalist in me says we (ORU GEC or someone) should make money off this. At the very least we should contact the opposing schools and their alumni base and sell them copies. If for nothing else just to cover the conversion costs. If that is possible given licensing rights, etc.

LOL! Not to worry - this is just a taste for everyone to sample.

After all, why do you think I only posted the first half... :cool:

Sensational video!....can't wait to see more...TheEagleman saw Anthony Roberts play a lot of games his first 3 seasons but had graduated and had never seen this one vs. Oregon....Woosie is the greatest player in ORU history in my humble opinion and this tape shows why...such a smooth shot...also a strong rebounder and could handle the ball.....hard to believe that at least 2 of the players on the floor for ORU have passed on....Roberts and Dugger....and Alvin Scott in there at forward was a fine player and TheEagleman's neighbor over in the Fairmont Terrace Apts off Peoria back in 1975-76......Alvin was of course the brother of Terry Scott who was one of my favorite all time guys at ORU.....and how about that Lionel Worrell in the backcourt....as I recall, his time at ORU didn't end well.....I did see that team earlier in the year at Virginia Tech....ORU scored a nice win in Blacksburg that night..... :ugeek:

The current ORU students should be shown the part where the students are shown cheering and filling up all of the gold seats and up into the blue. This was before my time, but I wish I'd have been there.

THANKS OT!! I enjoyed this.

By the way....also nice to hear the old fight song again....seeing the student section full and singing the song just about brought a tear to the eyes of TheEagleman.... :-)

Thanks OT..... I knew you were too much of a capitalist to give up the opportunity to make a profit off these videos.

Thanks for posting the video OT. I was at that game, seeing it again brought back alot of great memories. I also enjoyed the crowd shots - saw a number of faces that I had not thought about in years.

Thanks OT..... I knew you were too much of a capitalist to give up the opportunity to make a profit off these videos.

I understand where you're coming from, Terry. I do think these videos offer an excellent opportunity for raising funds for ORU athletics.

At the same time, after years of loyal support to the program with time energy and money, for some time I've felt like we pay more and more for less and less when it comes to tickets, club membership, etc. I recognize that there are reasons that this is necessary - especially with the the new era at ORU - however, morale among fans needs to play into the equation somewhere.

So I wouldn't get too worried about sharing half a game that's nearly forty years old. Creating a few positive feelings about the program is never a bad thing.

I don't disagree with you. I am more concerned about getting our past opponents and their fans/alumni to pay.

Differences in games played at the Mabee Center 40 years ago, in absolutely no order at all:

1. Two refs, not three.

2. No 3-point line.

3. No shot clock.

4. Jump ball on every tie-up

5. Oregon coach gets two technicals in first half, gets to stay in the game.

6. "Nutters".

7. Everyone wearing white canvas Converse® "Chuck Taylors" (pre-Nike takeover of Oregon program)

8. Big, physical guards who really don't handle the ball that well.

9. Passive defense on the perimeter, allowing set shots.

10. Better overall shooting on wide-open shots and free throws.

11. Hardly ever hear the band playing.

12. Bench area is recessed with steps leading up to the court.

13. Scoreboard has "Pong"-like message screen

14. Titans, not Golden Eagles

15. Cheerleaders in black-and-white saddle shoes

16. Farrah Fawcett hair styles on the girls

17. Burt Reynolds moustaches on the guys

18. Plaid suits on the coaches

Not to mention that groovy intro music at the beginning of the broadcast.

Differences in games played at the Mabee Center 40 years ago, in absolutely no order at all:

1. Two refs, not three.

2. No 3-point line.

3. No shot clock.

4. Jump ball on every tie-up

5. Oregon coach gets two technicals in first half, gets to stay in the game.

6. "Nutters".

7. Everyone wearing white canvas Converse® "Chuck Taylors" (pre-Nike takeover of Oregon program)

8. Big, physical guards who really don't handle the ball that well.

9. Passive defense on the perimeter, allowing set shots.

10. Better overall shooting on wide-open shots and free throws.

11. Hardly ever hear the band playing.

12. Bench area is recessed with steps leading up to the court.

13. Scoreboard has "Pong"-like message screen

14. Titans, not Golden Eagles

15. Cheerleaders in black-and-white saddle shoes

16. Farrah Fawcett hair styles on the girls

17. Burt Reynolds moustaches on the guys

18. Plaid suits on the coaches

GREAT LIST!!!

You forgot one...

OT sub 200 pounds! :ugeek:

ROTFLMAO.

You know it, Big Daddy: long hair, flat stomach, iron constitution - the whole nine yards. 8-)

I find it interesting that Anthony Roberts and Greg Ballard ended up being on the same 80-81 Washingtom Bullets team.