HWSNBN leaving arkansas?

ORUalum

Here's a thought:

IF HWSNBN chooses to transfer to Oklahoma -and- IF OU comes to the Mabee Center as a part of a 2-1 deal...

Clarke would play in the Mabee Center for the first time during the 2012-2013 season

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• bballmangc

• ORUTerry

Found this clipping in some old newspapers while painting this summer - what a coincidence that I found it right at the same time we're having this discussion. Dated Feb. 20, 2007:

scanimage002v.jpg

look at the bottom left of that page, crazy to think they were all the same class...

Not leaving warm feelings among the hog fans:

Lies, damn lies, and the Clarke family

His uncle has for a couple years now gone on razorback message boards, complained about the coach and about other players by name, used the word "we" when referring to Rotnei's plans, and repeatedly threatened to transfer. So no surprises, really. But the article above is right that the Rotnei gave interviews in the spring saying he'd met with Anderson and everything was fine. So his claim that he'd been trying for months to be released was history revision at best. He waited two days between when he asked Anderson for his release and when he went to CBS because Long wouldn't take his calls while on vacation.

He was a really good player. Got the most shots on an SEC team. But it wasn't good enough for him and his uncle thought it was "tragic" that he didn't get more shots. He wants to be a starting point guard and get 40 shots a game, but neither were likely to happen at Arkansas. And rumors have it that the incoming guys killed him in pickup games (who knows if it's true). His suspension for taking more than his share of gear for him and his dad sullied his image too (equipment guy got in trouble too).

Fascinating story of a guy who was living a dream: leading scorer on an SEC team who would have broken the school 3 pt record. But it wasn't enough. Probably a decent kid, but his crazy obsessed uncle, and his dad who is quieter but oddly literally makes it his occupation to follow his son around, wouldn't let him just enjoy the ride.

Now he's back to what Team Clarke seems to like best: being recruited. He's really good. Good enough to burn two years of scholarship for one year of playing? We'll see.

Sports Animal Tulsa: "Rumor has it that former Arkansas star, Rotnie Clark will announce he'll finish college at OU tomorrow."

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else a little surprised that no news has come out in the last week regarding RC to OU?

While the Sooners can't officially comment unless he's enrolled, you would have thought ol' Kelly or Conley would have been crowing by now if HWSNBN was going to be calling Norman home for the next two years.

Makes me wonder if one of three things happened:

1. OU is taking him, but they told him if he talks about it before school starts, then "no deal".

2. RC didn't get the assurances he wanted (such as a promise he would start his senior year), and he's still looking.

3. RC is waiting to see what the NCAA announces regarding possible sanctions for the Sooners from the Tiny Gallon fiasco.

Meanwhile, get a load of this article from a couple of weeks ago - and you guys think I'M hard on the guy:

"Rotnei Clarke is a no-good, low-down, dirty, stinking liar. Oh, he talks a good game. With his choir boy look, his spiffy haircut, the cross necklace dangling in a perfect position just above the v-neck opening in his shirt, he throws in just the right amount of statements that include words like “Christ†and phrases like “giving glory to God.†The result is that the media, fans, and parents of teenage daughters everywhere think the world of the sharpshooter out of Verdigris High School in Oklahoma. Clarke evidently isn’t as squeaky-clean as the image he tries to project."

Lies, Damn Lies, and the Clarke Family (BarnyardRivals.com)

Any chance they told him he would have to walk on the first year then give him a scholarship after that? Not really reasonable seems like he could get a scholarship from a smaller school (if he wanted it).

“He definitely has been underutilized,†said Kelly Clarke, now the girls’ coach at Yukon High School. “He’s been used as a decoy more than he’s been used (as a shooter). That sounds arrogant because I’m his uncle. But every (television) commentator says, ‘Set a screen for that dude. Set a screen for him.’ And one reason his 3-point percentage suffers is because they don’t go to him until it’s too late (in the shot clock).â€

The "decoy" led the team in in shots and points, was 3rd in the SEC in 3pt attempted and in 3pt%. Had he stayed a hog, he would have broken the school record for 3 pointers, graduated with people he knows, and been feted, honored, and welcomed as a "razorback legend" for life. But that wasn't enough. His never seen before in history talent deserves Pete Maravich shot numbers and the man (Pelphrey then Anderson) was just trying to keep him down.

He was on track to graduate early. Even if a transfer knocks him back a semester he could graduate next spring. Even if he was on scholarship, by NCAA rules he could transfer and play somewhere else after that*. Seeing that Team Clarke threatened to transfer throughout his time at Arkansas, it's reasonable for coaches to be wary of giving a guy a scholarship to practice for a year when there's no guarantee he'll be around the next year.

*or so I've heard. I've never read the details.

good post tulsatime I 100% agree he should have stayed a hog had a nice season and gone down as a good player and had some records. OT would still bash him for not scoring enough but he would have ended in good standing and had a nice college career (nice, not great).

OU announces today that they are self-imposing several penalties in response to the Tiny Gallon affair, including a 1-scholarship reduction for the coming school year (12 instead of 13).

Which would normally be a joke of a penalty, since the 13th guy never plays.

But in this case, that 13th scholarship might have been the one they were intending for RC...

OU To Vacate 2009-10 Wins, Records (Tulsa World)

``I’m hoping to work on being a point guard in the year off,†Clarke said. ``I know I need a lot of work on it – but I’m hoping I can really improve and be able to play both spots at Butler.â€

as was suspected, rotnei saw the writing on the wall about be a small, white, shooting guard.

Here's all you need to know about good ol' RC:

Clarke was leaning toward committing to Lon Kruger and the Sooners. However, sources told CBSSports.com the uncertainty regarding whether the Sooners would face any NCAA sanctions in the wake of an investigation swayed Clarke to Butler.

``I really believe Coach Kruger will turn the program around quickly,†Clarke said. ``And while I was told that the NCAA decision wouldn’t affect me, it wasn’t guaranteed. I didn’t know that for sure - and (I) didn’t want to go there without knowing 100 percent.â€

In other words: "They wouldn't promise me anything about (NCAA sanctions, playing time, shots-per-game, me, me, me), so I wouldn't go." :roll:

Interesting move.... I have never seen him play defense like the Bulldogs play it. They sure could have used a shooter against UConn though.

This has failure written all over it.

Wonder what he'll do if/when Brad Stevens leaves Butler after this season to replace Tom Crean at Indiana... :doh:

• 1 year later...