HWSNBN leaving arkansas?

ORUalum

"I have spent the last couple of months getting to know Coach Anderson, his staff and his system," Clarke told CBSSports.com. "And I still feel as though it's best for me to finish my career somewhere else."

What a bizarre story. Anderson should let him go so he can play for Gonzaga, Duke, or wherever the kid wants to play. Who wants a kid on their squad who doesn't want to play for you?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• bballmangc

• ORUTerry

"I have spent the last couple of months getting to know Coach Anderson, his staff and his system," Clarke told CBSSports.com. "And I still feel as though it's best for me to finish my career somewhere else."

What a bizarre story. Anderson should let him go so he can play for Gonzaga, Duke, or wherever the kid wants to play. Who wants a kid on their squad who doesn't want to play for you?

Apparently Rotnei thinks he can get more exposure and opportunity somewhere else besides Arkansas. Sounds crazy to me. He has had a good opportunity at Arkansas. He has started nearly every game for the last 2 years and has been a key go to person for the team. He was 2nd team All SEC. What more does he want?

I'm glad he didn't choose ORU. He would have wanted to leave ORU after a year or two or three because he suffers from the grass is always greener complex. I wonder if he will ever be happy where he is at. If he thinks he has an NBA future, and going to Gonzaga or wherever will put him over the top, I think he is sadly mistaken.

Why not just stay at Arkansas and give your all during your senior year as a key contributor that helped to lend stability through a lot of changes. While he would never be considered Sidney Moncrief or Corliss Williamson, he would leave a nice legacy and would be appreciated by the Arkansas fan-base. Instead, now he will be reviled by those same fans. Seems like a real lack of wisdom to me. Although maybe he will get an extra scholarship year out of the deal and with summer school can get a master's degree paid for as well.

6/17/11

@Matt__Turner:

"KNWA Sports Department reports that Rotnei Clarke is no longer on the hog basketball team. Mike Anderson informed the players tonight."

Clarke to ORU?...maybe the NCAA is giving us a special exemption for 18 scholarships this year..... :-P

Clarke to ORU?...maybe the NCAA is giving us a special exemption for 18 scholarships this year..... :-P

Haha, I doubt it, although I wouldn't oppose to such happening. It's my assumption that Clarke wants to go where can can compete on a Final Four stage -- KU, Duke, Gonzaga -- any system that is setup for shooters to come and make an immediate impact would be ideal for the kid.

With all the messiness that we as ORU fans have gone through with the Clarke situation, I still wish him the best of luck. Hopefully he finds whatever he's looking for...

Is Clarke THAT good?....will a big school be interested in this guy for just one year?.... :ugeek:

Is Clarke THAT good?....will a big school be interested in this guy for just one year?.... :ugeek:

The Gonzaga coaches recruited him pretty hard 3 years ago and he seriously considered going there (as far as we know). I would guess that is where he hopes to end up. If Gonzaga doesn't end up working out, then who knows how far he might fall. OU could use some shooters and so could Doug Wojcik. But I don't know in his mind how he could perceive that a move from Arkansas to either OU or TU would be improving his situation. Maybe he is truly nervous that his lack of height and athleticism (although he has a lot of speed) will cost him a starting spot in Mike Anderson's rotation and he simply can't mentally handle not being a starter.

Maybe he will go to OSU and play his senior year with his old buddy Keiton Page.

Report: Clarke Demands Trade, Cites Playing Style

By Bill Haisten*

Tulsa World

January 19, 2023

BOOGERGLOB, ROMANIA - Rotnei Clarke, oft-traded and seldom-satisfied combo guard for Boogerglob United of the Romanian "B" League, has once again asked for a trade, citing among other things, the team's playing style and pea green uniforms. This marks Clarke's fourth such request this season alone, and 10th since 2019.

Boogerglob represents the 20th basketball team for which Clarke has played since the ninth grade, and his third club this season, including the Tel Aviv Running Schmucks of the Israel League, and the Yucatan Amoebic Dysenteries of the Mexican Summer League.

"They just ain't using him right," said Rotnei's uncle and former high school coach Kelly Clarke, leaning back in his rocking chair on the front porch of Methodist Manor Retirement Village in Tulsa. "Heck, last game, he only got a stinkin' 30 shots!"

"A player like Rotnei shouldn't have to put up with shabby treatment" chimed in his father, Conley, from a porch swing nearby. "We got piles of letters here from teams all over the world that want Rotnei to play for them - and a bunch of 'em even have cable TV and flush toilets."

Clarke has a history of disenchantment with his team at the time, including three separate secondary school teams, 5 AAU teams, 2 Division-1 college teams, and 10 different minor league and semi-pro teams, culminating in 2021, when he abruptly switched teams during halftime of a game in Estonia over a perceived snub from a teammate.

Clarke has a career scoring average of 16 points a game on 35% shooting, mostly from behind the 3-point line. He also holds the distinction of accumulating the fewest number of assists, steals, and rebounds of any professional player in the world that has logged 10+ seasons at the guard position.

"We're just thinkin' 'bout Rotnei's best interest," Kelly Clarke said. "We know a player of Rotnei's caliber could score a mess of points, if he could just hook up with the right bunch."

"Heck, they might even win a few games while they're at it - but just as long as Rotnei gets his."

* Please see my clarification further in this thread regarding the by-line.

since things are slow. mike anderson playing hardball w/HWSNBN and pelphrey's top recruits.

Arkansas takes hard line, won't release leading scorer Clarke

By Jeff Goodman

CBSSports.com

June 17, 2011

Arkansas coach Mike Anderson won't let Rotnei Clarke leave.

Clarke, the Razorbacks leading scorer from a year ago and arguably the top shooter in the entire country, has asked for a transfer from the program on two separate occasions.

Clarke asked for his release shortly after the coaching change that brought Anderson to Arkansas in March. He was told to take some time -- and asked Anderson for his release again this past Monday.

But Anderson and athletic director Jeff Long have not given Clarke his release. Clarke said he has attempted to reach Long over the past few days since Anderson told him in a meeting earlier this week that he would not be let go.

CBSSports.com has also been unsuccessful in attempts to reach Long, Anderson and a member of Anderson's coaching staff seeking comment.

The school's unwillingness to allow Clarke to transfer comes shortly after Anderson enabled senior point guard Jeff Peterson and forward Glenn Bryant to go elsewhere.

Clarke, according to sources, isn't the only one Anderson hasn't allowed to explore other opportunities.

Two members of Arkansas' highly regarded recruiting class -- which was assembled by former coach John Pelphrey and his coaching staff -- both asked Anderson for their release.

It's basically an unwritten rule that, following a coaching change, recruits are released from their letters-of-intent if they want to play elsewhere.

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/collegebasketball/story/15241782/arkansas-takes-hard-line-wont-release-leading-scorer-clarke

It says to me that Rotnei doesn't want to play in Anderson's system. Anderson's style is probably too tough on some guys and you need the right type of player for it. You can see this as several recruits and other players have also asked for their release. Since that is the case I'm not sure it's just going for greener pastures more an inability to play an up tempo style and an unwillingness to work. Not sure why we are singling him out like he thinks he's better when he is obviously admitting he doesn't want to put the work in to Anderson's system just like some of the other players on Arkansas' team.

Clever post OT.

This is not the first time Rotnei has tried to leave Arkansas. According my Arkamsas customers, he or his family have made soundings of leaving/transferring every summer he has been at Arkansas. He has a definite problem with thinking the 'grass is always greener'. It is a terrible long term mistake on his part. If he stayed a "Hog", the people of Arkansas would be a lifetime source of contacts/jobs. Now he will be a non-entity (turncoat) to them. He needs to think about the long term.

Clever post OT.

This is not the first time Rotnei has tried to leave Arkansas. According my Arkamsas customers, he or his family have made soundings of leaving/transferring every summer he has been at Arkansas. He has a definite problem with thinking the 'grass is always greener'. It is a terrible long term mistake on his part. If he stayed a "Hog", the people of Arkansas would be a lifetime source of contacts/jobs. Now he will be a non-entity (turncoat) to them. He needs to think about the long term.

He reminds me a lot of Mitch Mustain former Arkansas quarterback. And we saw what happened when he actually got his transfer and tried to make it at USC.

Clarification: it has been suggested by more then one person that my little parody might be a two-pronged attempt at gigging both the Clarkes AND the Tulsa World's Bill Haisten.

For the record, the author of this "story" is not part of the joke.

I chose Haisten's by-line simply because he has written the most of these "Rotnei-is-trying-to-decide-where-to-go" stories over the years.

It could just as easily been Mike Brown, Jimmie Tramel, Barry Lewis, etc.

No matter who writes it, the story is always basically the same: the Clarkes love the limelight, and they will sign-up anywhere (or, threaten to) just to get it.

For those who still want to believe that poor li'l "RC & Co." are just misunderstood victims of circumstance, check this out:

"Ballin' Is A Habit" blog: Rotnei Clarke Gets His Release - But Was There More To It? (6/20/11)

I found the embedded link to the "Say Goodbye To Team Clarke" column by News-5 Fayetteville particularly telling.

Nothing has changed with these people since RC was a high school sophomore.

Nothing.

I think Ark. has bent over backwards to keep RC and his family happy these last few years and he better hope he makes the right decision on where to go next. Got 1 shot and then he is done. Pretty sure his dad is going to be looking for work again.

I think Ark. has bent over backwards to keep RC and his family happy these last few years and he better hope he makes the right decision on where to go next. Got 1 shot and then he is done. Pretty sure his dad is going to be looking for work again.

LOL - from different accounts I've read over the years, they first got him a job at a health club that subsequently went out of business, also as a school bus driver, and in some unknown capacity at the regional airport.

Giving up a scholarship for two years to a player who's only going to play one, plus coddling "Team Clarke"? Whoever takes on this 3-ring circus will be admitting they are DESPERATE for perimeter shooting.

But honestly, would not be that surprised to see him at TU, OU or OSU. One thing you can say about "Team Clarke": they do always seem to land on their feet in these situations. When the big boys like Kentucky, Kansas and Duke passed on him early in the high school recruiting process, he quickly geared down to the likes of the local Big Five and Gonzaga, where he took on "bigger fish in the smaller pond" qualities. I'll never forget that "Vype" high school athletics magazine cover where he was pictured holding all the hats, or his version of "The Decision" with Ruben Diaz on Channel 8 where he was shown live in the studio dribbling between his legs during every commercial break of that night's news broadcast. Definitely a flair for the limelight.