A coaches nightmare (from the Oakland Press)

tmh8286

Anyone that really knows kampe knows that the hacking thing was a joke. My inside guy told me that Reggie had a social problem (women?????) and all his issues had nothing to do with basketball. There was no blow up at the team meeting....all the meeting was for was to elect captians for next year. Reggie was elected along with Valintine from what I have been told.........

Really, Grizz - really?

"That meeting just gave me some clarity"

"I'm doing what's best for me I have to"

"I have a family to take care of"

"I couldn't even look at my teammates this morning"

"more lies and bs"

"with that being said i dont want anyone talking to me about basketball ill handle mine"

It's tornado season down here, man - don't really need any extra spinnin'...

This doesnt' really belong here, but isn't worthy of it's own thread, either - Oakland announced today that sophomore guard Ledrick Eackles is transferring:

Eackles' decision to transfer unsurprising

His transfer is noteworthy here only because of his key role in ORU's losses to Oakland last season. Bader took his spot in the lineup this season after Eackles was injured, and Eackles never regained his spot.

This doesnt' really belong here, but isn't worthy of it's own thread, either - Oakland announced today that sophomore guard Ledrick Eackles is transferring:

Eackles' decision to transfer unsurprising

His transfer is noteworthy here only because of his key role in ORU's losses to Oakland last season. Bader took his spot in the lineup this season after Eackles was injured, and Eackles never regained his spot.

Eackles is a fascinating prospect physically - a Jonathan Jones clone.

He says he wants to "get back down south" near his home in Louisiana - wonder if Tulsa is close enough? I would take him in a heartbeat.

Eackles is a fascinating prospect physically - a Jonathan Jones clone.

He says he wants to "get back down south" near his home in Louisiana - wonder if Tulsa is close enough? I would take him in a heartbeat.

That brings up an interesting thought - how did a kid from Louisiana end up in Rochester, MI in the first place?

I sat next to a guy in the first session of the NCAA Tournament in Tulsa last week who was dressed in black and gold, like an Oakland fan, but was actually from Dallas (when he found out I was an ORU fan he asked me if I knew Ken Tutt, and I replied that I knew him as a player at ORU, but not personally. He then told me that he had been a teacher of Ken's in Dallas). He said he goes to the NCAA tournament every year, and tries to get his tickets through the schools, so he can get seats in the lower sections - good thinking!!

Anyway, he was looking through his program at team rosters and commented that basketball programs used to have players mostly from the same general region as the school - say, southwest, or midwest, or west coast, or whatever. But when you look at rosters now, players are from all over the place. That's certainly true for ORU - Alaska to KC to Florida, and all points in between.

This guy credited AAU programs that play on a national level for getting kids seen by coaches from all over, and that is no doubt true. I know our own coaches go to a huge tournament in Las Vegas every year that brings in kids from coast to coast. I know that they go to other big tournaments as well. Recruiting isn't limited to your own back yard any more. If you've read any of DBH's blog, humbleexperience, you saw where he talks about this very thing:

"Everyone always asks how I was recruited when I was from a small town in Alaska. After my freshmen year of high school, I was introduced to AAU basketball. I went and played with a team from Seattle called Running Rebels.. it was a new experience because I had not played with these caliber of players so it took me time to get use to it but I did after a tournament or two.. as I played well in a few tournaments, I began to get noticed by schools and they would tell my AAU coach they were interested . . . during the summers of my junior and senior year, I received recruitment from Gonzaga, San Diego State, San Diego, Portland State, Portland, Arizona, University of Washington, Missouri State, Washington State and many others."

Shouldn't we be hearing something about Rod Pearson's eligibility? Why in the world would it take the NCAA so long to make a determination?

Shouldn't we be hearing something about Rod Pearson's eligibility? Why in the world would it take the NCAA so long to make a determination?

Agreed. One more year!

Eckles to ORU?....gotta love that!....send DoMo up there to have a chat with the lad..... ;-)