A coaches nightmare (from the Oakland Press)

tmh8286

Reggie Hamilton’s Twitter page is full of ominous signs today, leaving fans wondering what his next move will be. Coach Greg Kampe said the two had a meeting arranged for Monday afternoon.

The page has a backdrop of a disappointed looking Hamilton at the NCAA tournament.

Is Reggie Hamilton leaving Oakland?

How does a coach manage this kind of use of social media - or should he try? Is it freedom of speech or sabotage? Or, the situation of when an innocent slip torpedoes something major?

Got to be a nightmare for a coach. So when Kampe meets with Hamilton, should he stick strictly to talking about Hamilton's future at Oakland, or should he include a discussion of what he says on Twitter?

BTW - this article is taken almost directly from a thread on the Oakland board.

You want breaking news, go to the MESSAGE BOARDS first!!

Looks like his Twitter page has been taken down. Reggie Hamilton tweets kinda like he plays- a little erratic. Maybe he's tired of studying and wants to just play basketball. According to the Oakland message board, he'll have his degree in May. How do you convince a player to stay in a situation like this? Tell him he'll have all easy classes (electives) and that he can just focus on improving his game and getting stronger when he's not relaxing and being the "big man on campus"? It may or may not work depending on what motivates the player. I can't see Kampe pulling a Tim Floyd and handing Hamilton a G Stack just to stay

he'll be back. probably just need some attention from the coaches. they'll tell him how great he is and that he is the key to next season and he'll be back in the fold.

he'll be back. probably just need some attention from the coaches. they'll tell him how great he is and that he is the key to next season and he'll be back in the fold.

Good: global empires, mighty oaks, and solid basketball programs are typically destroyed not from outside forces, but from internal disease... :wait:

BTW, Reggie Hamilton's Twitter account is up and running, and whadya know: he's claiming his account was hacked into, and he's shocked, totally shocked that those terrible things were posted on there earlier (ie. before his meeting with Greg Kampe). Here's a link - you be the judge:

Reggie Hamilton's Twitter Account

*sigh*

I've often advocated a breathalizer for cell phones - maybe we need some sort of blood pressure monitor on cell phones, too, to lock out "Twitter Rage". :fubar:

This has gotten a little more serious: Paul Kampe (no relation to Greg) at the Oakland Press now quotes Head Coach Greg Kampe as also saying Hamilton did NOT post the "tweets", and that his account was "hacked".

Paul Kampe's Oakland blog

Really??

Does it not seem odd that the "hacking" began immediately following an apparently volatile team meeting Monday morning, yet was miraculously repaired right after an afternoon summit between Kampe and Hamilton?

Wow, I wish all computer glitches and viruses were so accommodating: I have found in my personal experience that once an internet identity is compromised, it is never restored and must be trashed for good, especially when someone else has figured out how to gain access to it.

It is truly fortunate for Reggie and Oakland that his Twitter account appears to have been only temporarily breached, was so quickly and efficiently restored to its original condition, and is apparently no longer in danger of being "hacked" again... :roll:

Well, if you go to Reggie's Twitter page and back several days, even before the latest round of statements drawing attention, Hamilton has been saying cryptic remarks that would lead you to believe he was dissatisfied with things for some time.

This isn't a recent phenomenon; Kampe is just covering.

Well, if you go to Reggie's Twitter page and back several days, even before the latest round of statements drawing attention, Hamilton has been saying cryptic remarks that would lead you to believe he was dissatisfied with things for some time.

This isn't a recent phenomenon; Kampe is just covering.

They always say: the cover-up can be worse than the crime.

What's so bad about a good ol' mea culpa?

They always say: the cover-up can be worse than the crime.

What's so bad about a good ol' mea culpa?

FWIW, Oakland fans don't seem to be swallowing the "hacked" excuse, either.

In some respects, it gives Kampe a way of dismissing discussion of the matter. If asked about it, he just says, "He was hacked". End of discussion. As long as Hamilton watches what he tweets.

From my perspective - honesty is the best policy.

Hay, if you don't want to talk about it, you just say: "It's an internal matter, and it's been addressed. That's all we'll have to say about it."

Period - end of discussion.

But all this conspiracy talk of computer hackers and innocent victims? Please...spare me.

Hay, if you don't want to talk about it, you just say: "It's an internal matter, and it's been addressed. That's all we'll have to say about it."

Period - end of discussion.

But all this conspiracy talk of computer hackers and innocent victims? Please...spare me.

You've got media relations written all over you, OT.

Maybe Hamilton told Kampe that that was what happened, and Kampe didn't press it, just repeated it. Seems pretty flimsy at this point.

Great article, alum. Knowing Kampe's sense of humor, I wouldn't be all that surprised if he'd read this article and his claim that this was a "hack" was tongue-in-cheek.

Or, even if he hadn't read the article but was familiar with some of the stories in it, it may still have been intended in jest.

OT retweeted this article by Barry Tramel regarding Bob Stoops and Twitter:

http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-bob-stoops-to-implement-a-twitter-policy-for-players/article/3550830?custom_click=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"Clay said OU coaches' Twitter message is simple: “Respect the team, respect the school, respect ourselves. Once we say something ignorant on Twitter, it makes us look bad. . .â€

"The NBA has banned players from Twitter just before and during games. Lots of pro and college coaches have issued Twitter bans. U.S. and European Ryder Cup players banned Twitter during their 2010 competition."

So what happened at the "volatile" team meeting on Monday?....why were players upset after such a close loss to UT?.... :ugeek:

Anyone that really knows kampe knows that the hacking thing was a joke. My inside guy told me that Reggie had a social problem (women?????) and all his issues had nothing to do with basketball. There was no blow up at the team meeting....all the meeting was for was to elect captians for next year. Reggie was elected along with Valintine from what I have been told.........