Game Two vs. Arizona State

tmh8286

Any idea who will be the starting pitcher for ORU today? I assume it will be Bowen or Smolen.

TheEagleman would start with Bowen...maybe he can go four or five innings...then bring on Smolen...ORU has to hold Arizona State to just a few runs....we obviously don't seem to have a lot of run scoring capability this season especially against the type of quality pitching that the Sun Devils throw out there..... :sweat::worried::sweat:

2-1 ORU, top of the fifth inning. Smolen on the mound, given up four hits in four innings pitched.

3-2 Arizona State in the top of the seventh. Smolen releived by Sean Johnson after 4.1 innings.

It appears that Graham McIntyre, a local recruit, a freshman, and a good friend of our family got the start in center field. I'm really, really happy for Graham and his family. I know that they are thrilled.

Baligod hits into a double play to end the top of the seventh, but not before ORU scores a run to tie the game at three all.

Go Eagles!!

Big game if we could win and even the series vs. the top 10 Sun Devils...GO BLUE!... :sweat:

4-3 now with ASU still batting in the bottom of the 7th...our pitching just can't seem to hold them.... :worried::sweat::worried:

Hello All,

Nice to hear that ORU, Alumni were at some of the games against Arizona. Jeremy Hefner, Jerry Sullivan and Juan Martinez were rumored to be at some of the games to root for the golden eagles. The Padres have their spring training in Peoria, AZ. GO EAGLES!!!

WE ARE....OR

WE ARE.... OR

WE ARE.... ORU TRUE BLUE!

IRISH!

3-4 Arizona State final. ORU just couldn't score after the seventh. Too bad - they had a real chance to pull off a win over the Sun Devils tonight.

Hello All,

Nice to hear that ORU, Alumni were at some of the games against Arizona. Jeremy Hefner, Jerry Sullivan and Juan Martinez were rumored to be at some of the games to root for the golden eagles. The Padres have their spring training in Peoria, AZ. GO EAGLES!!!

WE ARE....OR

WE ARE.... OR

WE ARE.... ORU TRUE BLUE!

IRISH!

Hi Irish! Glad those guys could make it over to some of the games. I know that a few fans from Tulsa made the trip.

Hey TMH...

Nice to hear from you once again.... Hope all is well for the Golden Eagles!

I understand that Rob was really happy to see some of the old gang back in the fold, rooting for the team.

What a Testimony! I really love the way Rob runs the program at ORU... baseball needs more people like him!

Take Care and God Bless!

Irish

Tough loss for ORU, but great to hear that we've battled them tougher than OU so far. Let's try to get one tomorrow.

We just can't seem to hit top notch pitching....it's going to be a rough season at least until we start Summit League play.... :worried:

I take it as a good sign that we are hanging with a top 10 team. We could have won that game last night. Our starting pitching seems to be pretty solid. Maybe the new bats are helping a little bit as well. I'm sure the team will only continue to improve and gel as the season goes on.

The Mrs. and I have had the opportunity to spend the past two games with tbone77 and his wife here in Tempe. The team looked much better last night compared to Game #1 and should have won the game except for some untimely pitching. Last night, Smolen pitched a very good game and, with the exception of the solo HR, was keeping the ASU batters off-balance. Sean Johnson got into some trouble in the sixth and Rob brought LHP Liguori to pitch to a left handed batter, but Lars had trouble getting the ball over the plate and eventually walked the winning run. Dan Martony did a great job facing the minimum five batters for his 1-2/3 innings of work.

Rob is still working through his lineups and combinations, but he'll get it figured out in time for Summit League play and post-season tournament. This team is a better overall team than last year's team (IMHO). That's not to say last year's team was bad by any stretch (we had some great players on that team), but we have two prominent pitchers in Gonzalez (he will be more consistent with experience) and Bowen (once he is totally healthy) and we have some bats that, although aren't as powerful as last year due to the equipment, are still effective.

There are several of our former players here to watch the team. Jake Kahaulelio with his roommate Kris Negron from the Reds, Andre LaMontagne and Mike Moore. I heard that Jerry Sullivan and Jeremy Hefner were here, but did not see them. Jay Bell, a speaker at our Diamond Dinner a couple of years ago, was also at the game last night. In all, the ORU party totals around 150 from what we heard from the ASU officials. The ASU fans have been very friendly and complementary, but when the game is on, they are as fans should be - for their team!

I would be remiss if I didn't say how "homer" the officiating has been. The home plate umpire last night missed two catcher interferences (one with the catcher going 1/3 way down the first base line to retrieve his mit) and several strikes which were called on ORU and not for ASU (it's amazing how the strike zone is so much larger for the visiting team sometimes!). :think:

Bowen will start today's game and hopefully we can have the chance to take one of the games in the series; however, I would expect ASU to jump in the polls this week - whether they go 4-1 or 5-0 this week. It is still questionable if they will be in the post-season tournament this year due to current recruiting violations (the appeal is to be heard May 16 - one week prior to the Pac-10 tournament). If they make the Tournament, they should make it to the CWS this year. I wouldn't want to come back to meet up with ASU in a regional tournament.

5-2, top of the 9th. One out with an Eagle on second base. Lambson, the ASU closer is coming in to stop the rally.