Twitter is abuzz with talk of the Univ. of Nebraska-Omaha joining Summit

tmh8286

My only thought is that I wish we'd be looking more at established D-I teams rather than so many just making the move from D-II. Maybe it doesn't matter, but it seems that there are quite a few that would fit the Summit League quite well that have been mentioned on this board. Hopefully this program will fit in nicely, though.

Come on, Filbert, how is mentioning us sucking up?

Well, mainly because you're not directly on I-29, seeing as how it terminates in Kansas City. But you're still quite obviously now the southern anchor of a nice line of six schools running right down the middle of the country that can be a solid backbone of a decent conference.

The conference will have to give the eastern four some TLC, I'm sure (beyond not making them travel to Cedar City any more, that is), and truth be told I would have preferred adding somebody like UALR who's already established in D-I, but as far as I know they weren't (yet) on the market, and UNO was.

truth be told I would have preferred adding somebody like UALR who's already established in D-I, but as far as I know they weren't (yet) on the market, and UNO was.

Yeah, so would we.

According to the article, while UNO would begin conference schedule in Summit League sports in 2012, they would not be eligible for league championship tournaments and D-1 postseason play until 2015.

Not sure how a new school that can't participate in the Summit League postseason baseball tournament is going to help us with NCAA minimums in 2013 & 2014 once Centenary & Southern Utah have exited: only remaining baseball schools those years would be ORU, Western Illinois, Oakland, SDSU, and IPFW. Not sure that's enough for the league to retain its automatic bid during that span without some sort of exemption from the NCAA.

Take the time to read that long article in the Omaha News Herald. Trev Albert is making some major changes in the school's athletic department: dropping football and wrestling. They notified the players and coaches the night that they won their 8th national championship in wrestling. The coaches got pink slips. So did the football coaches. I suspect it all revolves around Title IX. The comments section in the newspaper is interesting - not a lot of people happy with the decision.

Yeah, so would we.

According to the article, while UNO would begin conference schedule in Summit League sports in 2012, they would not be eligible for league championship tournaments and D-1 postseason play until 2015.

Not sure how a new school that can't participate in the Summit League postseason baseball tournament is going to help us with NCAA minimums in 2013 & 2014 once Centenary & Southern Utah have exited: only remaining baseball schools those years would be ORU, Western Illinois, Oakland, SDSU, and IPFW. Not sure that's enough for the league to retain its automatic bid during that span without some sort of exemption from the NCAA.

That is right, but I think UNO can choose to compete in baseball on an accelerated path. The Big Sky doesn't have baseball so SUU could possibly continuing playing in the Summit as well.

OT NDSU also plays baseball so six would be enough to retain the bid anyways.

OT DI changed those rules, all you need is six or seven schools that are active DI members. The Summit will have nine active members in 2012-2013(when USD becomes a full member).

You still have to have a core number of schools in any particular sport in order to maintain an automatic bid into the NCAA championship for that sport, don't you?

Otherwise, ORU needs to start fielding teams in rowing, lacrosse, archery, etc., so the Golden Eagles can be the automatic NCAA qualifier from the Summit League in those sports.

You still have to have a core number of schools in any particular sport in order to maintain an automatic bid into the NCAA championship for that sport, don't you?

Otherwise, ORU needs to start fielding teams in rowing, lacrosse and archery, so the Golden Eagles can be the automatic NCAA qualifier from the Summit League in those sports.

You do need six or seven active members depending on the sport for a conference to get an autobid.

I guess I got confused since the old rule used to require core members, meaning the schools needed to be together for a certain period of time before a conference could get an autobid. Per the old rules I don't think NDSU or SDSU would have been a core member until 2016 or 2017.

Yeah, so would we.

Look, I know our baseball program isn't that good, but I think we're still a qualifier. :wink:

OT NDSU also plays baseball so six would be enough to retain the bid anyways.

At the risk of sounding even more pompous than usual:

I follow ORU baseball religiously, and I swear I did not know NDSU played baseball in the Summit League.

And at 0-12 so far, I'm not sure I would have noticed any time soon if you hadn't pointed it out.

At the risk of sounding even more pompous than usual:

I follow ORU baseball religiously, and I swear I did not know NDSU played baseball in the Summit League.

And at 0-12 so far, I'm not sure I would have noticed any time soon if you hadn't pointed it out.

I think it's only one of two sports at NDSU that isn't fully funded(men's golf is the other). We're currently at something like 8 or 9 scholarships. Put that together with problem of the season starting while we've still got snow on the ground, and it's tough for us to be successful. Still, this one of our worst starts in history.

I saw this on our board (taken from the OU board, I think), this is a map of the new Summit League. Omaha fits really nicely into our new tighter footprint.

immbk7.jpg

I've never heard of a maverick bull or cow or whatever gender bovine their logo is.

I thought a Maverick was a wild horse, or a Navy fighter pilot who can't act.

Geez, OT...Maverick didn't inspire you?...TheEagleman loved Tom Cruise in Top Gun.....and how about that Val Kilmer?....i think he's put on 150 pounds since that movie...... :blink:

I saw this on our board (taken from the OU board, I think), this is a map of the new Summit League. Omaha fits really nicely into our new tighter footprint.

immbk7.jpg

Nicely done map - thanks for posting it.

It may be tough to find a picture of an eagle eating a Maverick.

1. An unbranded range animal, especially a calf that has become separated from its mother, traditionally considered the property of the first person who brands it.

Can you find a pic of an eagle attacking a calf?