Twitter is abuzz with talk of the Univ. of Nebraska-Omaha joining Summit

tmh8286

Apparently UNO is a D-II team that is looking to make the jump to D-I once the moratorium on new D-I teams is lifted.

I would have to ask our conference commissioner how this helps us in any way. I hope they are making multiple phone calls to UALR.... who won their conference tournament with a last second 3-point shot.

Not sure about this, we do need a 10th member since 9 is a terrible number as far as scheduling is concerned. UNO isn't the strongest school, their basketball team has struggled living in Creighton's shadow and the gym they play in is definitely at WIU's level.

That said I'd be all for playing the tournament in Omaha. That would be a true neutral site and would be a nice city to spend a few days in.

They are D-II but at least they have baseball. That is the only thing they have going for them. If they are provisional, they don't really help the league in terms of D-1 until/if they get approved for D-1 status.

From the Omaha World-Herald:

Division I conference eyes UNO

Representatives of the Summit League, a 10-team conference that stretches from Michigan to Utah and from Fargo to Tulsa, are scheduled to be on the University of Nebraska at Omaha campus Wednesday and Thursday.

The Summit isn't going to add UALR unless they are booted out of the SunBelt. Apparently our commissioner is only going after D2 schools.

From the Omaha World-Herald:

Division I conference eyes UNO

Representatives of the Summit League, a 10-team conference that stretches from Michigan to Utah and from Fargo to Tulsa, are scheduled to be on the University of Nebraska at Omaha campus Wednesday and Thursday.

The Summit isn't going to add UALR unless they are booted out of the SunBelt. Apparently our commissioner is only going after D2 schools.

Frankly, the thought of adding the town of Omaha to the Summit League sounds kind of cool to me, but I know absolutely nothing about the school.

I wonder when they would even become eligible for league play - 2020 or something?

Frankly, the thought of adding the town of Omaha to the Summit League sounds kind of cool to me, but I know absolutely nothing about the school.

I wonder when they would even become eligible for league play - 2020 or something?

During halftime of one of the games Douple mentioned there was a school in Minnesota, and one in Kentucky that the Summit League is looking at.

During halftime of one of the games Douple mentioned there was a school in Minnesota, and one in Kentucky that the Summit League is looking at.

Probably Northern Kentucky(located just outside of Cincinnati)and Minnesota State Mankato or St. Cloud St(both an hour or so away from the Twin Cities).

• Upvote 1

Probably Northern Kentucky(located just outside of Cincinnati)and Minnesota State Mankato or St. Cloud St(both an hour or so away from the Twin Cities).

I would really like to add Northern Kentucky. They have very nice facilities. They also have an established baseball program as well.

I believe the NCAA is lifting the moratorium on entry to D1 in June (I could be wrong). Which is why we are taking a look at all of these schools.

Northern Kentucky would be a great fit geographically - it's literally closer to Cincinnati than the Cincinnati airport (which is also in Kentucky). But they're still D2 also, and would have the same timing issues.

I'd really rather not see a Minnesota school. The league average temperature is low enough already.

Sounds like Omaha is on their way to the Summit, they got an invite on Friday but in order to make the move they'll have to cut two very popular and successful athletic teams....

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110313/NEWS01/703139891/-1#uno-plans-move-to-division-i-will-drop-football-and-wrestling

UNO was a very competitive school in basketball in the D-II North Central Conference (from which came NDSU, SDSU, and USD).

They will in short order be competitive in the Summit League.

Omaha fills a geographic hole in the Summit footprint, and gives the Summit a nice backbone of schools down the I-29 corridor (NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNO, UMKC, and extended down US-71 and I-44 to Tulsa to ORU).

That's six really strong (if I do say so myself) schools as the backbone of the conference. Two state Land-Grants, one State flagship, two major state urban universities, and (sucking up to you guys) Oral Roberts. Get Western Illinois in gear, and I really do think with Oakland and the IUPU's we have a conference that can legitimately start thinking about parity (or better) with the Missouri Valley Conference--in basketball, at least . . .

UNO was a very competitive school in basketball in the D-II North Central Conference (from which came NDSU, SDSU, and USD).

Omaha fills a geographic hole in the Summit footprint, and gives the Summit a nice backbone of schools down the I-29 corridor (NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNO, UMKC, and extended down US-71 and I-44 to Tulsa to ORU).

That's six really strong (if I do say so myself) schools as the backbone of the conference. Two state Land-Grants, one State flagship, two major state urban universities, and (sucking up to you guys) Oral Roberts. Get Western Illinois in gear, and I really do think with Oakland and the IUPU's we have a conference that can legitimately start thinking about parity (or better) with the Missouri Valley Conference--in basketball, at least . . .

My only thought is that I wish we'd be looking more at established D-I teams rather than so many just making the move from D-II. Maybe it doesn't matter, but it seems that there are quite a few that would fit the Summit League quite well that have been mentioned on this board. Hopefully this program will fit in nicely, though.

Come on, Filbert, how is mentioning us sucking up?

Oakland and the XDSU's were D-2 stalwarts also, and it's not like they took the league by storm - it takes time to get used to a 30-game D-1 schedule and the MUCH farther travel involved.

We know - we've been doing it for 40 years. It's big-boy ball.

Omaha a nice city to visit?.... <_< .....geez....then again, probably an upgrade over Fargo.......TheEagleman recalls that ORU played UNO back in the day....they definitely came to Mabee Center back in the mid-70s when I was a student...I know...that was in the dark ages.... :blink: