Report: Three schools set to leave Summit League

ORUTerry

(excerpt)

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

Published: 10/30/2010 2:29 AM

Last Modified: 10/30/2010 7:59 AM

The Big Sky Conference appears ready to invite Summit League's Southern Utah, along with the University of South Dakota and the University of North Dakota, into the fold.

The move could have long-term ramifications for the Summit League, of which Oral Roberts University is a member.....

Read more at Tulsa World Sports

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• Hoopsdude18

• FargoBison

Money quote:

"Losing Southern Utah and USD would leave the Summit with six core members, one less than required for retaining its NCAA Tournament berth in basketball. A core member has at least eight years of Division I participation.

The league will have a two-year grace period to add other members."

Money quote:

"Losing Southern Utah and USD would leave the Summit with six core members, one less than required for retaining its NCAA Tournament berth in basketball. A core member has at least eight years of Division I participation.

The league will have a two-year grace period to add other members."

EDIT: Alright after reading that a few more times I see now that the two non-core members would be SDSU and NDSU since they haven't been in DI for eight years, is that correct? Thus, we would have just six "core members"? (What about IPFW - have they been in DI for that long?)

Money quote:

"Losing Southern Utah and USD would leave the Summit with six core members, one less than required

"

Welcome back, Chicago State??? :@

There's been word that that portion of the rule will be reworked as part of the change that will be announced in the next few months. I haven't heard if they've been voted on or not, but the recommendations from the advisory committee that was tasked to look into DI membership requirements included a section about removing the designation "core member" and come up with something different to ensure stability of the autobids. Since the DI moratorium expires in April, I would expect some final decisions to come soon. I don't think the Summit will have a problem from this particular front.

BTW, IPFW is considered a "core member" because their DI paperwork had been filed just before the core member definition was added to DI. Thus, they were grandfathered in.

(the rule change is supposed to be part of this: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... +standards )

We are in a tenuous situation. Depending on when SUU leaves the conference, we might not have enough 'core' school in place to keep our automatic bid in basketball. The revision mentioned above is prospective - and not guaranteed. If the conference stays together, an expansion to 10 teams (as contemplated with the addition of NDU and SDU) should be on the front burner of the league commissioner.

Mike Carter should be reviewing all options - and that includes a possible move to the Southland.

Well the main thing to note is that the NCAA gives a conference a two-year grace period from the time it knows an institution is leaving where the autobid in basketball won't be lost. My question to anyone who knows this better than me is in that two-year span of time, if SDSU/NDSU would likely hit their 8th year in Division I, would we not once again be back to eight core members? Would the NCAA allow that?

Well the main thing to note is that the NCAA gives a conference a two-year grace period from the time it knows an institution is leaving where the autobid in basketball won't be lost. My question to anyone who knows this better than me is in that two-year span of time, if SDSU/NDSU would likely hit their 8th year in Division I, would we not once again be back to eight core members? Would the NCAA allow that?

If the rule isn't changed(big if), and if SUU plays in the Summit for two more years(per Summit bylaws), then there will be a 1-year gap. NDSU & SDSU became active DI members in 2008-09. Assuming SUU plays the next two years(2011-12 & 2012-13), plus the 2-year grace period(2013-14 & 2014-15), then there would be a 1-year gap(2015-16) before we become core members(2016-17). Put it another way, the Summit will have almost five years to find one needed member if the rule doesn't change(UALR would work).

Frankly, I worry about Summit League Commissioner Tom Douple being "out in front" on these changes.

He seems like a nice enough guy, but in the words of Michael Corleone in The Godfather, "things are going to get rough, and we need a wartime consigliere".

If the rule isn't changed(big if), and if SUU plays in the Summit for two more years(per Summit bylaws), then there will be a 1-year gap. NDSU & SDSU became active DI members in 2008-09. Assuming SUU plays the next two years(2011-12 & 2012-13), plus the 2-year grace period(2013-14 & 2014-15), then there would be a 1-year gap(2015-16) before we become core members(2016-17). Put it another way, the Summit will have almost five years to find one needed member if the rule doesn't change(UALR would work).

On Monday, when SUU makes an announcement, we will probably know when they will actually be leaving the Summit League. As Hammersmith points out, there is a significant financial penalty for a Summit League institution if they don't give a full 2 years notice. Since this announcement will be coming after the 2010-2011 season is well underway, they will most likely not be leaving the conference until July 1st, 2013, perhaps July 1st 2012 depending on how the Summit League bylaws are written. The 2-year grace period begins when Southern Utah officially leaves the conference. So, if the Summit League did absolutely nothing, they would still have auto-bids until either the 2014-2015 season or the 2015-2016 season.

With the current 8 teams the Summit meets the 6-core institutions playing together for at least 5 years rule but would be 1 core institution short of meeting the 7 core institutions in the conference requirement. Hammersmith mentioned that NDSU and SDSU did not become "active" NCAA members until the 2008-2009 season. I was thinking it was the 2007-2008 season, but I might be wrong about that. If Hammersmith is right, then there might be a one year gap if we did nothing. Certainly as a last resort we could add Chicago St. if UALR isn't interested. With 4-5 years to figure it out, and the potential for a favorable rule change, I think the league will have plenty of time to make the best decision.

I came across an article written on September 11, 2010 which said: "There has been some talk of the Southland considering Oral Roberts in Oklahoma as a potential replacement for UTSA or Texas St. when they leave for an FBS conference." I was surprised to see this mentioned almost 2 months ago, long before the developments of the last few days.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/459445-the-summit-league-football-house-of-cards

If there is not a rule change, and 1 of the 6 core institutions (anyone except NDSU and SDSU) were to leave (i.e. ORU going to the Southland) then the Summit League could lose their autobids for at least 1-2 years until NDSU and SDSU would be considered active members for 8 years.

I don't want to be the school that puts the last nail in the Summit League's coffin by leaving for supposedly greener pastures.

I want to be the school out in front on keeping the league together, ala Texas with the Big XII this past summer.

The Mid-Con/Summit has been good for ORU - we should do all we can to preserve it.

I don't want to be the school that puts the last nail in the Summit League's coffin by leaving for supposedly greener pastures.

I want to be the school out in front on keeping the league together, ala Texas with the Big XII this past summer.

The Mid-Con/Summit has been good for ORU - we should do all we can to preserve it.

Amen, bro. Glad to see I'm not the only one not so eager to see the Summit League in the rear view mirror.

YES!....THEEAGLEMAN SAYS BRING BACK VALPO!!!.... ;):devil:;)

I`m for the Summit League. With the improvement in rpi coming when Centenary leaves, our autobid may mean a 12 or 13 seeding in the future assuming everything else only stays the same. But, it`s not staying the same. It`s getting better. That 12 or 13 seeding and a chance to win a game in the first round is around the corner for the Summit League, IMHO.

Excellent post.

It isn't a matter of if, core is gone. It is now just active members and that pretty much means the NCAA just has to approve of a school being DI.

In basketball you need 7 active members and the number is 6 for other sports. Only schools that are reclassifying or have APR issues can lose "active status".

I found this here....

14. NCAA Division I – Recommended Multisport Conference Standards and Definition.

a. Institutional Members.

(1) A multisport conference shall have a minimum of seven (7) active Division I members.

(2) A multisport conference shall have a minimum of seven (7) active members participate in both men’s and women’s basketball.

b. Conference Sports Sponsorship.

(1) A multisport conference shall sponsor a minimum of 12 NCAA Division I sports.

(2) A multisport conference shall sponsor a minimum of six men’s sports. In each of these six sports, a minimum of six active members shall compete.

(3) A multisport conference shall sponsor a minimum of six women’s sports. In each of these six sports, a minimum of six active members shall compete, or a minimum of five active members for an emerging sport.

(4) In addition to men’s basketball, a multisport conference shall, at a minimum, sponsor either football, with a minimum of six active members competing in football, or sponsor two additional men’s team sports, with a minimum of six active members participating in each of these two sports.

(5) In addition to women’s basketball, a multisport conference shall sponsor at least two additional women’s team sports, with a minimum of six active members participating in each of these two sports.

________

c. Regular Season Conference Competition.

(1) Basketball: Basketball teams shall participate in a regular season conference schedule of a double round robin, or a minimum of 14 regular season conference contests.

(2) Minimum Required Team Sports, Other Than Basketball [b- (4) and (5) above]: In the team sports sponsored to meet the minimum team sports sponsorship requirement, teams shall compete in a minimum regular season conference schedule of five contests. A minimum of five regular season conference contests must be hosted by one of the two competing teams at its home site venue.

d. Officiating. A multisport conference shall provide oversight of the officiating programs for selecting, training and assigning officials for its men’s and women’s basketball programs.

e. Compliance. A multisport conference shall have a comprehensive compliance program.

f. Continuity. A multisport conference must meet the institutional membership requirement (a. above) before it may be considered for continuity. To establish continuity, a multisport conference must meet the sports sponsorship and regular

season competition requirements (b. and c. above) for a period of eight consecutive years. If a conference establishes continuity, it may be considered for multisport membership in Division I.

g. Core. A multisport conference that is recognized in the NCAA Governance Structure as a result of legislation [see No. 9 above] shall be considered a core conference. A core conference shall:

(1) Have representation and voting standing in the NCAA Division I Governance Structure.

(2) Be eligible to submit nominees for and have its delegates serve on NCAA Division I committees.

(3) Be eligible to receive AQ into NCAA championships, provided the conference competes with a minimum of six active participants in the sport.

(4) Receive conference grant funds.

(5) Receive, on behalf of its members, Special Assistance/Student-Athlete Opportunity Funds.

After completion of the four year reclassification process, the Board of Directors, on the recommendation of the Division I Administration Cabinet, shall have the authority to elect the institution to active Division I status.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/DI_MC_BO ... _April.pdf