Mike Brown's Blog (Tulsa World) 9-23-10

ORUTerry

don't the "king of the Aerobics Center" guys usually end up at rogers state? hope i'm wrong, but i'd guess that is the more likely outcome then him becoming a significant contributor at ORU. the numbers don't lie..."averaged 3.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game while appearing in all 29 games (28 starts) for the Rangers."

If Chris had 28 starts and averaged 3.6 points per game, he was probably playing 10 - 15 minutes a game (not the majority of minutes at his position) and he was probably being used as a defensive position to alter (and swat) shots in the middle while grabbing rebounds (ala Derrick Moore a few years back). Just as we saw with Yemi, in Sutton's system, defense finds a player more minutes than offense in many cases. I would be happy if we can get 10-15 quality minutes out of a player at this position this season (IMHO).

Pretty sad that we have stooped in late September to discussing the merits of a 3rd or 4th stringer like Chris Angsomwine....geez...we need the pre-season practices to get underway fast......no telling how low we are all willing to go.... :P

Glad to hear about Chris Angsomwine from all you guys who are right there where the action is on campus.

Thanks for the up-to-date reports from the AC!!

Glad to hear about Chris Angsomwine from all you guys who are right there where the action is on campus.

Thanks for the up-to-date reports from the AC!!

Great way to wrap up that chapter! Yes, thanks too from the Great White North beyond the 49th. We are dependent on your input to know anything about these guys and certainly grateful when it comes. :up:

Great way to wrap up that chapter! Yes, thanks too from the Great White North beyond the 49th. We are dependent on your input to know anything about these guys and certainly grateful when it comes. :up:

Coach Sutton spoke to some of us this week at a Golden Eagle Club luncheon, and I don't think I would be betraying any confidences by passing along the following comments:

• He was really upbeat - seems very eager to get practices started in a couple of weeks. Said this team feels like they are due to contend for a conference title.

• Said Craion was getting his cast off and should be at near full strength by the start of practices, but lamented the fact that he missed individual workout time where he could have been honing the "skill areas" of his game, such as 3-point and free throw shooting.

• Was very complimentary of freshmen Jake Lliteras and Steven Roundtree, comparing them to Chad Wilkerson (wow) and Larry Owens (OK, I give up) respectively. Sure didn't sound like redshirt candidates the way he was talking about them.

• When asked if the point guard position was Ken Holdman's to lose, he basically said it's an open competition for that spot between Ken, Hunter and Rod, and that he was really excited to see how it turns out in practice. Hearing that makes me think Hunter and Rod must be pretty much all the way back from their knee injuries. (PERSONAL OBSERVATION: Reading between the lines of Coach Sutton's comments in particular (and other coaches on the staff in general) Hunter brings several unique qualities to the table in terms of quarterbacking the team. One must assume a couple of primary concerns on their part heading into practice are his knee, and whether he can hold his own physically on the defensive end. But they sure do seem to like him...)

• Said Damen just needs some minutes under his belt to gain confidence, after a freshman year that was pretty inconsistent.

• Indicated Domo and Kyron are the leaders of the team, and doing so in a great way. Said Domo came to ORU to win conference titles and get to the NCAA tournament, and he realizes his window of opportunity is closing.

• Without being asked about it, Coach was somewhat apologetic for the home non-conference schedule - said we simply got caught in "one of those years", playing the first game of new series on the road (OU, Missouri State, Texas Tech), the last game on the road of a 2-for-1 (Missouri), combined with the "away" year for TU. Was happy to hear that we are planning bus charters to OU and Missouri State, and hoped that some fans might be able to make the trip to Columbia for the Missouri game. Said he suspected the Tigers will be the highest ranked team we play this year, and doubts they will be looking past us after our win in Tulsa last year and the scare we put into them two seasons ago at their place.

• In response to questions, he hinted we might use full-court pressure more this year simply because we have the personnel to do so (and not just when we're trailing by double-digits), and that with so many players potentially vying for playing time this year, the Blue-White scrimmage and the exhibition games are important opportunities for many of the players to show what they can do leading into the regular season. Didn't get the impression Coach plans to deviate much from his traditional pattern of 7-8 guys getting most of the playing time in the regular season. Got the feeling they don't want to mess around with the line-ups too much against Rogers State and Drury - said both are very capable teams who will be trying to win the game.

Excellent report, OT....you have TheEagleman really salivating for some basketball...not sure I can wait another 30+ days for some games.....I might have to go on line and find an old video of the KU highlights from 2006.... ;) ....sounds like Hunter McClintock could have the inside track for some serious minutes at PG....gonna be a great competition between Hunter, Holdman and Pearson.... :geek:

Nice recap OT. You covered all the things that coach touched on. I agree that he seemed to be optimistic about this team. He was high on McClintock but also mentioned that Holdman and Pearson are battling hard. It was nice to hear good things about Roundtree and Lliteras.... let's hope they can come close to the players they are compared to (Owens and Wilkerson).

The Blue-White game on the 29th is supposed to be a full-fledged game with referees and everything. This should give us a decent idea of the players' ability.

Thank you kindly, OT. That was a marvelous bit of news for the O-of-T crowd! Good to hear that Sutton is not letting that Owens comparison drop but that you have been diligently fulfilling your journalistic instincts in confirming the authenticity and actual strength of that comparison. I believe that Sutton knows what he is saying here! I am looking forward to the begin of the season too. Tomorrow marks the beginning of the beginning of practice month. Never mind that it's still 15 days away and the season another month. Time is flying (I know. I'm showing my age, but the way that I'm experiencing it, the season begin is just around the corner.) Thanks again for a little foretaste with your report!

:eagles:

The intangible edge that Holdman has is his teleportation power. Hunter looked good in the videos, so hopefully he has all of his quickness back. If all Rod ever did was hit the game winner at Stanford, that might be enough for him to never be forgotten in ORU lore. 3-way battle for PG is a nice problem to have, especially after last year.

After last season....TheEagleman sees nothing wrong with a little depth at Point Guard....I'm ready for some basketball!.... ;)