Mike Brown's Blog (Tulsa World) 9-23-10

ORUTerry

ORU injury concerns seem to be lessening

9/23/2010 1:26:23 AM

(excerpt)

ORU basketball players Michael Craion and Damen Bell-Holter seem to be doing as well as can be expected, bouncing back from preseason injuries.

Head coach Scott Sutton said he expects to have both ready when preseason drills open on Oct. 15. That’s just 22 days from now.

Craion, the senior forward who broke a bone in his foot, returns for X-rays this week to determine if the injury is healing sufficiently to remove his walking boot.

Bell-Holter, sophomore center, has already had his boot removed and is expected to be fully recovered from a high ankle sprain in the next few days.....

Link to Tulsa World Sports

Nice to hear that everyone seems to be recovering okay. It is also good to hear that the newcomers are doing well. We just need them to contribute on the margin and provide depth.

If everyone on the roster stays healthy (as we all hope and pray), I think there is a high likelihood that at least one of the three newcomers would be red-shirted. If so, who is the most likely candidate for sitting out a year? I would imagine that our apparent depth in the backcourt would put Lliteras at the top of the list, but then again, you can NEVER have too many sharp shooters from 3-point territory.. Knowing Sutton's style of play, I would think that the most likely redshirt will be the one newcomer who needs the most seasoning on defense.

If everyone on the roster stays healthy (as we all hope and pray), I think there is a high likelihood that at least one of the three newcomers would be red-shirted. If so, who is the most likely candidate for sitting out a year? I would imagine that our apparent depth in the backcourt would put Lliteras at the top of the list, but then again, you can NEVER have too many sharp shooters from 3-point territory.. Knowing Sutton's style of play, I would think that the most likely redshirt will be the one newcomer who needs the most seasoning on defense.

Pretty unusual to ever redshirt a juco player, so Angsomwine is out of the picture. Besides, supposedly he's king of the Aerobics Center in pick-up games.

As for Roundtree, if I hear one more Larry Owens comparison, I may lose it. Memo to the easily impressed: Larry was a juco All-American, All-Mid Con, a D-League All-Star, and borderline NBA material. Those are some awful big shoes for a freshman to fill. But reportedly, Stephen can contribute in a specific area where we're potentially weak: rebounding. So, he's likely not a candidate for redshirting, either, unless Morton and Angsomwine overachieve in that area.

That leaves Lliteras. If he rolls out against Drury and Rogers State and is deadly from the "3", then you would think that he, too, would be a candidate for playing time as a freshman once the regular season starts. But even so, he wouldn't be the first underclassman sharp-shooter to be redshirted by this staff due to defensive shortcomings (see: Moses Ehambe, Andrew Meloy). If anyone is going to get redshirted - and we're healthy enough to afford the luxury - my money would be on Jake.

It also depends on what the player wants. A red shirt year can be very beneficial for a player - but hard for them to appreciate at the time. Just think how ORU (and Chad) could have benefited from Bill Self keeping the red-shirt on Chad Wlkerson. I suspect that we could probably benefit from the shooting ability that Lilteras' apparently possesses - but he will be much better in four years than he is now. Hard decisons for the coaching staff.

Heck if Roundtree can just play a little defense and rebound everyone will be happy. He has been a very nice surprise so far this year. Nice find for the staff. Looks like everyone healthy when season get under way.(knock on wood!!)

Angsomwine is kinda interesting in the fact he is very athletic; just not sure how that plays out in a real game. Guess we will see. Be nice if he could play some minutes at the 5 this year.

If Roundtree wants to follow his Owens' impression all the way through to being an all-conference player with borderline League talent, then that would be cool with me :D

I agree about Lliteras looking like the most likely candidate, fitting the 'great-spot-up-shooter-right-out-of-high school' profile. Unless he blows up immediately and defends very well. He also plays a position that we can most afford to develop...

Good to hear about Angsomwine's play so far...

Chris Angsomwine "getting rave reviews" and "king of the Aerobics Center"???....hard to believe...TheEagleman hopes he is wrong but maybe this kid a just a late bloomer....still, I gotta see it in the games... :^)

Hey, I just thought about this on the way to church this morning. If Angsomwine is as athletic as people say, and with the body that he is blessed with, wouldn't it benefit him to redshirt for a year and improve in his ability to play basketball under Coach Sutton? It seems that he could his his ceiling considerably under those conditions. After all, his JC numbers weren't that impressive. I'd like to see the young man reach his full potential, or do we absolutely need him to play this year?

TheEagleman agrees with OT again (what is the world coming to?).....highly unlikely that Coach Sutton would redshirt Juco transfer who has 2 yrs of eligiblity left and has to be at least 21 yrs old already if not older....this kid Angsomwine has to play now and ORU doesn't have time to wait for him to develop....we need the frontcourt help this season....isn't that why Juco transfers are brought in?...to fill an immediate need?....Jake Lliteras is more likely to be redshirted....we have 3 pt shooters in Niles, DoMo and McClintock....so unless Jake is lights out in pre-season practice he would be the likely candidate if we need to redshirt one player.... :geek:

don't the "king of the Aerobics Center" guys usually end up at rogers state? hope i'm wrong, but i'd guess that is the more likely outcome then him becoming a significant contributor at ORU. the numbers don't lie..."averaged 3.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game while appearing in all 29 games (28 starts) for the Rangers."

don't the "king of the Aerobics Center" guys usually end up at rogers state? hope i'm wrong, but i'd guess that is the more likely outcome then him becoming a significant contributor at ORU. the numbers don't lie..."averaged 3.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game while appearing in all 29 games (28 starts) for the Rangers."

Sutton had to have brought him in as a project . . . someone that has the potential but isn't showing it. The description fits. I hope Scott is able to bring the good stuff out (and I personally wish he still had a redshirt year to do it).

Angsomwine played at Harcum JC two years ago....TheEagleman could round up four friends and we could beat Harcum.....they stink.....used to be a women's college until a few years ago.....trust me....#30 can't play....if he gives ORU any meaningful minutes on a regular basis I will be shocked....hard to believe he's wearing Caleb's number....but don't get me started on that again..... |(

You know, I doubt anyone has been as skeptical as me regarding Angsomwine, because the numbers simply aren't there in his previous two seasons.

But maybe it's time to cut him some slack - let's take a couple of factors into account:

• He's virtually new to the game, coming from Ghana.

* He hasn't had anything near the coaching at his previous stops that he's going to get from this staff.

• He's a physical specimen.

• We don't need him to be a "go to" guy - just be a role player.

• He really seems like a good guy - consider this interview from last spring with "Runhouse Recruiting", an international scouting blog:

A Minute With Chris Angsomwine

BTW, I think the picture in the header of the guy in the yellow uniform dunking is actually Chris, taken from a YouTube video.

TheEagleman agrees that we don't need a lot for this dude...just some defense in 6-8 minutes a game would be nice....I won't criticize Angsomwine further until seeing him in the games...maybe he is a late bloomer.... :geek: