Preseason Clues Point To Oakland Again (Mike Brown's blog)

Old Titan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• ManiacAlum

Just turned in copy for the Sporting News preseason basketball magazine’s Summit League roundup.

OH NO!!! Maybe Mike was actually "Sports Guru", and I cut him off!!!! Sorry Mike . . . :$

. . . Or maybe it was Old Titan, and this is just a clever work-around . . . :?::geek::^)

How clever was it, really?

Sorry; not me - doubt it was Brown, either. Based on Mike's work, it's obvious he can write a complete sentence - a skill that "Sports Guru" has apparently failed to master.

I put this schedule together showing the seniors that each team will lose this coming season. I used conference stats for points per game (ppg) and rebound per game (rpg) and compared them to the team total to determine how much production the team was losing. The stats are from StatSheet.com.

ORU

Ford

12.3 ppg 16.9%

7.5 rpg 18.9%

total team 72.8 points 39.6 rebounds

Oakland

Nelson

11.9 ppg

6.2 rpg

Jones

14.3 ppg

2.4 rpg

26.2 ppg 32.3% 8.6 rpg 23.5%

total 81.2 36.6

IUPUI

Pettiford 6.6 5.8

Avery 9.4 4.3

Glenn 20.8 6.1

36.8 ppg 47.9% 16.2 rpg 48.5%

total 76.9 33.4

NDSU

Pennick 4.7 2.7

Flowers 6.5 5.0

Vaughn 13.3 5.2

Sussenguth 5.9 5.1

30.4 ppg 43.4% 18.0 rpg 50.0%

total 70.1 36.0

SDSU

Callahan 10.1 3.2

Williams 11.2 7.2

Engen 2.9 2.3

24.2 ppg 32.4% 12.7 rpg 34.6%

total 74.8 36.7

IPFW

Yearby 12.2 ppg 18.0% 8.2 rpg 23.2%

total 67.6 35.3

Southern Utah

Baker 17.1 ppg 27.3% 5.8 ppg 17.0%

total 62.7 34.1

Centenary

Bonham 7.6 ppg 11.4% 4.6 rpg 16.3%

total 66.7 28.3

Western Illinois

Nurse 8.6 ppg 14.3% 3.0 rpg 9.9%

total 60.1 30.4

UMKC

n/a

I obviously don't know how to post a table.... anyone have an idea of how this can be done?

The top four schools affected by players (seniors) leaving - nevermind what we don't know about players quitting/grades/injuries - are:

IUPUI: they lose 47.9% of their scoring and 48.5% of their rebounding from last year.

NDSU: they lose 43.4% of their scoring and 50.0% of their rebounding

SDSU: they lose 32.4% of their scoring and 34.6% of their rebounding

Oakland: they lose 32.3% of their scoring and 23.5% of their rebounding

I know this does not tell the whole story because the teams have recruits/transfers that will step up. But it does show what holes the various teams have to fill.

Based and an Eagleman analysis of those great statistics above....Sounds like ORU should win the Summit Conference going away in 2010-11...... ;)

You guys said it best, the numbers only tell so much of the story. We lost some good players. Other than the guys you mentioned we lost our lil bee-bop backup PG Palarca (5'9 Jr) who was solid off the bench (not a scorer) and we lost Anthony Cordova, who was our big 6'7/250 Jr who couldn't make a FT (also a couple end of the bench guys left). Both were just Juniors. Palarca quit to move home for a job. Cordova graduated early and had injury problems. Bad news? Not in my book. In total we lost 6 upperclassmen. They are guys that Nagy questioned if they were too broke to fix giving the tough first couple of years they spent in the Summit. The end of the bench guys we lost were not happy. they thought they deserved to be on the floor more and weren't positive members of the team. In total, none of the guys we lost were leaders and many (I know for a fact) were unhappy. I see this as a new beginning. For the first time in D1 we'll have kids all playing their true position and we'll have kids who want to be here. Hopefully w/ the negatives gone we can find some leaders. We'll be younger but we'll be deeper, way more athletic and longer. Only area I can see us slipping a little is 3-pt shooting.

To replace them we added:

Jordan Dykstra (6'8) The earliest commit in Iowa State Cyclone history and was ranked the 26th best PF in the country. Also had an offer from Wake Forest, among others.

Marcus Heemstra (6'9) He is Dykstras HS teammate (won Iowa State title last 2 yrs) and some even say he has a higher ceiling than Dykstra. The best thing about these two is they had much bigger (better?) offers but chose SDSU b/c they are Christian kids and love the fact that Nagy is a devoted Christian.

Aireus Stephenson (6'1) Will be only guy under 6'3 on the floor. Led his Kansas Juco team in scoring, assists, steals, field goals, three's, FT's and minutes.

Steve Jurich (6'8) Was Juco All-American last yr and 5th in nation in rebounding while averaging over 14ppg.

Kids off redshirt: Chad White (6'6) played in first 4 games of year (as a true frosh) before being hurt (scored 14 in one game). Great athlete/shooter who can play 1, 2 or 3 and might just be starting from day one.

Brayden Carlson (6'5) Kid who can really stroke it shot 53% from field in HS as a guard. Could be big 3-pt shtr.

Based and an Eagleman analysis of those great statistics above....Sounds like ORU should win the Summit Conference going away in 2010-11...... ;)

Agreed :up:

Great minds think alike, Maniac.....watch out, Grizzlies....The GoldenEagles will be tough to beat in 2010-11.....why?....two words....Hunter McClintock.... ;)

Great minds think alike, Maniac.....watch out, Grizzlies....The GoldenEagles will be tough to beat in 2010-11.....why?....two words....Hunter McClintock.... ;)

Eagleman - while I appreciate your optimism, and agree that Hunter WILL make a contribution this year, I think it is unrealistic to expect him to be THE difference maker in his freshman season. And, furthermore, since we have a (very) seasoned point guard in Rod Pearson, we don't NEED Hunter to have a breakout season to be a very good basketball team. That said, I think Hunter will have a significant role this season, and has TREMENDOUS upside over the next four years.

Rod, if you remember, was just starting to come into his own last season - and had hit the buzzer-beater to knock off Stanford - when he went down at Virginia. If he gets back to that form in the early stages of the season, he can be the difference maker, by allowing all of his teammates to forget about getting the ball into the right place - and play in their natural positions.

If you are right (and I hope you are) that Hunter IS the difference maker in 2010-11 (and not as a result of injury to Rod or others), then ORU will have a VERY successful season.

Agreed, lets not put too high of expectations or unrealistic ones on the new guys, lets let them prove it on the court.

McClintock may not be ORU's best player this season but he will be two years down the line....this kid is a gamer with a high basketball IQ, outstanding passing skills and an above average shot....Hunter will make everyone else on the court better....Pearson?...well, he was a decent player on a lousy SE Missouri State team....he appears to be average at best though with his experience he could start the season as the #1 point guard.....McClintock on the other hand is a guy who can distribute the ball the guys like Morrison, Niles and DBH all who have the ability to put the ball in the hoop....having a really good passer will help ORU on the offensive end bigtime.... ;)

honestly don't know how you can say that without seeing him play in an actual game; I hope he is everything you say, but your assumptions are way out there.

It appears that the point guard position will be well stocked this year with Pearson, McClintock and Holdman available to fill that role. Having that many ball handlers and guys able to make a pass will certainly be helpful - hopefully will allow the other guys (Morrison, Bell-Holter, Craion, Niles, etc) to take 'easier' shots. It also give Sutton several different lineup options. I just wish we were as deep in the post.

I'm going to hold my final prediction until I see the guys play the tradition exhibition games at the beginning of the season. From what I can remember, Rod seemed like a very strong and athletic point guard, but I thought there were times he played out of control of little. Maybe not. I agreed with Terry that I wish we were deeper in the post and then I looked at the roster:

Michale Craion- 6'5

Stephen Rountree- 6'7

Tim Morton- 6'9

Chris Angsomwine- 6'9

Damon Bell-Holter- 6'9

Javier Nassare- 6'10

While most of those guys lack experience, they are definately a big body we can put on the floor to bang cause problems.

Roundtree intrigues me.... I am hoping he can provide some athleticism from the wing and some presence in the post (rebounding) - a bit like Craion. Craion will also have a full year of experience and could be more prodcuctive.

We will need Nassare, Morton and Angsomwine to contribute quality minutes to back up Craion and Bell-Holter. This is uncertain given the fact that these three players are relatively untested. They are an important part of the upcoming season.