• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUalum

• theeagleman5

• Former SID

• TrueBlue82

Signee Aaron Kurcz went in the 10th to the Cubs...

gotta think playing w/bryce harper didn't hurt getting noticed...

alex gonzalez taken in the 11th to baltimore

brandon king taken in the 16th by baltimore

boone whiting (centenary) taken in the 18th by st. louis

Just because they are drafted, doesn't mean they are 100% gone, does it?

No... but think back to 2008 when we had five players (two juniors and three signees) drafted after the 20th round. All five signed. If none of them sign, we might make a serious run at Omaha last year.

You are exactly right Chris..... That draft did a lot of damage...... our program is still recovering from that draft.

But we have an ace in the hole....Rob Walton.

Irish

Hopefully, a few of the drafted ORU signees won't sign....kids with a college scholarship in their back pocket have leverage against the ball clubs.....they can get the $$$ they want or just threaten to go to college for 3 years which in most cases is the best thing for them anyway.....anybody know if Saladino will stay at ORU for his Sr. year or is he likely to sign with the White Sox?.... :sweat:

Day two brings more calls for locals

Boca Raton's Alexander Gonzalez among Broward, Palm Beach County players selected during second day of MLB Draft

As the second day of the Major League Baseball first-year player draft got underway, Alexander Gonzalez's phone really started ringing.

A few hours in, the Boca Raton standout got the call he really wanted.

But in the 11th round when the Baltimore Orioles used the 328th overall pick to select Gonzalez, the pitcher could barely hear his own name on the computer speakers.

"My family all just started screaming," Gonzalez said. "I got kisses and slaps on the back. It was a really intense moment for all of them. My parents went crazy."

Gonzalez, an Oral Roberts signee, was the first high school player from either Broward or Palm Beach County selected Tuesday.

Now, Castellanos, Jackson and Gonzalez — like so many high school players across the country — will be forced to decide whether to sign a professional contract or play in college.

Gonzalez went 4-6 with a 2.48 ERA this season. But he struck out 69 batters in 65 innings pitched and performed well during summer ball, earning the attention of Orioles scouts who came to watch one of his teammates — highly touted Miami Brito shortstop and FIU signee Manny Machado.

Machado was selected by the Orioles with the third overall pick.

"The Orioles had their whole staff come to watch him and I pitched that game and they saw me," Gonzalez said. "I'm happy and I knew something good was going to come out of the draft."

full story: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/high ... 4425.story

I'm always reminded this time of year how Darryl Strawberry was signed to an LOI by Oklahoma State before being drafted by the Mets.

Anybody higher profile than that who slipped through the cracks for a local team? Seems like we've had a couple of signees ourselves who never made it to campus, and instead ended up in the bigs...

Hard to believe that a 41st rounder would get much of a signing bonus....Beeler would be better off coming back and having a good year and prove he's fully recovered from the arm surgery....plus, the Cubs stink.... ;)

Hard to believe that a 41st rounder would get much of a signing bonus....Beeler would be better off coming back and having a good year and prove he's fully recovered from the arm surgery....plus, the Cubs stink

Is is possible for me to block theeagleman from seeing any of his future posts? After that Cubs comment, I no longer have any interest in his outlook on anything. :devil: