MLB Draft

ORUalum

Well, Donkey....all I can retort is 1908.....need TheEagleman elaborate?..... :devil:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUalum

• theeagleman5

• Former SID

• TrueBlue82

Found this blog on Alex Gonzalez...

Boca Raton right-handed pitcher Alex Gonzalez was selected by the Baltimore Orioles in the 11th round (No. 328 overall) of the Major League Baseball draft on Tuesday. Gonzalez pitched in 14 games this season and eight were complete games. He finished the season with a 2.48 ERA and a 4-6 record but had 69 strikeouts. He had nine strikeouts against Jupiter and 10 strikeouts against Santaluces. He also played third base for the Bobcats and has a 70 percent scholarship to Oral Roberts.

Gonzalez said the Orioles called him before the 10th round but ended up taking him in the 11th, which is about where he was hoping to go. He added that he would take the summer to weigh his options before making a decision on whether to sign or go to college.

I would think that his decision to "wait out the summer" bodes well for ORU in the fall. If he were committed in his heart to the O's and thought this was the best move, wouldn't he sign immediately to get started in his quest for "the show", and not miss out on a minor league summer season?

Sounds like this Gonzalez kid could use a bit more seasoning....3-4 yrs at ORU wouldn't hurt him and it's unlikely he would get a large signing bonus as an 11th round pick....no sense in going to very low A ball and spending many years languishing in the minor leagues competing with dozens of other young pitchers....might as well see if he can improve his status at a solid D-1 program like ORU and get a college education....if he's THAT good....maybe he improves his worth in the draft to a top 4-5 round pick by 2013 or so...lots more money and he could also have a college degree in his back pocket....makes sense to me to go to college unless you are picked in the first 5 rounds or you just hate going to school.... ;)

Well, Donkey....all I can retort is 1908.....need TheEagleman elaborate?..... :devil:

Cubs are the only team that have a banner in the outfield stands that says Luke 23:34 (look it up)

more draft odd and ends...

Draft Report: Tyler Saladino

Scouting reports on Saladino are also strong. He's slightly undersized at 6'0" 185 lbs, but he is considered a very good defensive shortstop, with plus range, good hands and an above average arm. Saladino's offensive potential is not considered as promising as his defensive potential, but he does still have a solid swing. He hits the ball to all fields and displays good doubles power, although he may not be a big home run threat. He also has good speed and is capable of swiping his fair share of bases.

The White Sox system desperately needed a good middle infield prospect or two as the offensively deficient Eduardo Escobar currently ranks as the teams top SS prospect. Tyler Saladino has the potential to become a starting shortstop at the Major League level with a plus glove and an average to above above average bat. In order to reach his potential Tyler will need to start putting the ball into play more consistently, but even if he can't do this, his defensive ability could be enough to carry him to the Major Leagues as a utility infielder.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future- ... adino.html

Boone Whiting: Gents Pitching Ace Signs with Cardinals

http://arklatexhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=110845

The Royals also signed undrafted first baseman Seth Furmanek from Oral Roberts.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

• 2 weeks later...
Signee Aaron Kurcz went in the 10th to the Cubs...

Baseball America has Aaron signing with the Cubs - If true... he's gone. The other ORU signees taken in the draft have NOT signed with a pro team... yet.

• 4 weeks later...
brandon king taken in the 16th by baltimore

good news hopefully...

Brandon King Leaving Chucks After All-Star Break

by Jayson Geiser

WAUSAU (WAOW) - Wisconsin Woodchucks all-star Brandon King will not return to Wausau after the Northwoods League All-Star Game in Eau Claire on Tuesday. King is leaving summer ball to enroll at his new college, Oral Roberts University. He played at Fresno City College the past 2 seasons. It's a big loss for the Chucks. At the break, King owns or shares the team lead in batting average, hits, homeruns, RBI, and doubles.

http://www.waow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12836382

• 3 weeks later...

ramsey signs w/royals

The Royals signed their 18th-round Draft pick, outfielder Brian Fletcher from Auburn University, and he'll report to the Rookie club at Burlington, N.C. Also signed were three undrafted pitchers -- Chase Boruff from Carson-Newman College, Edwin Carl from the University of New Mexico and Jake Ramsey from Oral Roberts University. ...

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/a ... sp&c_id=kc

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that the deadline for MLB teams to sign their June draftees is Monday. So I guess we can just hold our breath over the next few days that we don't lose any more players.

I think the MLB should move this deadline 2-weeks earlier to the beginning of August to give NCAA coaches a chance to recruit replacements for any players they lose prior to classes actually starting. Of course I doubt that the MLB teams really care about the plight of NCAA coaches.

looks like both king and gonzalez did not sign w/the orioles...

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/team/d ... p?c_id=bal

Baltimore Orioles 2010 Draft Selections

A listing of the Baltimore Orioles's 2010 draft picks

Name Pos B/T Ht Wt DOB Round Pick # Signed

Alexander Gonzalez RHP R / R 6' 2" 190 01/15/1992 11 328 Unsigned

Brandon King OF L / L 5' 11" 190 03/30/1990 16 478 Unsigned

An interesting thing as you look at that list is that, with one or two exceptions, the earlier draft picks signed late (I assume they were jockeying for a better deal) while the later picks signed early - I guess eager for the chance to play at the next level.

The later round draft picks usually get a take it or leave it offer. If you want to continue your career, sign, if you don't,

find a real job. These offers get pulled off the table as other draftees sign, the MLB teams don't need all 50 or so players

they draft, so once the pantry is full....the deal is off the table. Early round picks are trying to leaverage their deal against other

deals being signed. You don't want to be the 1st to sign, unless the offer is pretty special.

TheEagleman is glad that Gonzalez and King decided to come to ORU...both of those guys have a chance to be very special players.... :)

TheEagleman is glad that Gonzalez and King decided to come to ORU...both of those guys have a chance to be very special players.... :)

Does anyone know if they are actually enrolled and/or on campus?

Yep...they are signed, sealed and delivered. Mike Carter spoke at the Alumni luncheon today and he talked about the coaches trying to keep track of Gonzalez (probably King, too) yesterday to keep from what happened to us with Petralli. The coaches couldn't get a response from them on their cell phones late last night - either by text or voice mail. Came to find out that they were in Hall meeting and not allowed to use their cells. Just one of the benefits of attending ORU!! :D

Gonzalez probably left a lot of money on the table to be tutored by Rob Walton. I would guess that Rob has some pressure to get Gonzalez a higher paycheck in three years. We're going to have Alex, Smolen and Bowen ready to go next season on the mound with Pickar as a batterymate. We also have Martony, Schlehuber, Guest as relievers and mid-week starters back with Sean Johnson as closer. King, Baligod, Elder and Winiecki in the Outfield; Sowers and a bevy of junior college players (plus Schlehuber at 1B) are ready to take the infield. If the injury bug stays away, we should be fun to watch.

Here is a good video on Rob Walton talking about the importance of keeping the kids in our program and the success we're having with getting players to go to school versus signing in the draft.

Good news for Walton and crew.... nice to see this class work out given the travails of past recruiting classes. I am looking forward to seeing these guys play.