Norman Regional has Sunny Golloway feeling nostalgic

vcboy2000

Norman Regional has Sunny Golloway feeling nostalgic

By John Hesley

June 2, 2010

The Oklahoman

Sunny Golloway clearly recalls the last time he was involved in an Oklahoma-Oral Roberts postseason matchup. "I was wearing the other uniform," said the Sooners coach. "It seems like a long time ago".

Read more: http://newsok.com/regional-has-sunny-go ... z0pj019xKw

Favorite quote by Sunny:

"I don't want too much to be made out of Rob Walton and I,” Golloway said. "I love him like a brother, I do. I'm going to recruit Donnie, his son, whether he likes it or not."

Very good article by The Oklahoman... but what's all this talk about "nationally recognized" and "national prominence"? :P

Favorite quote by Sunny:

"I don't want too much to be made out of Rob Walton and I,” Golloway said."

Hilarious. This could be the first time in history that Sunny has actually requested to be out of the spotlight. Too bad it's not true. He's loving this because he's enjoying the best of both worlds right now. Getting to talk about how he "built" the ORU program at the same time talking about OU. I've never wanted a win more in my life.

Hilarious. This could be the first time in history that Sunny has actually requested to be out of the spotlight. Too bad it's not true. He's loving this because he's enjoying the best of both worlds right now. Getting to talk about how he "built" the ORU program at the same time talking about OU. I've never wanted a win more in my life.

Did you play for Sunny, donkeylarry?

No. Done in the nick of time. Several friends did though. I could post more stuff on here than anyone would like to hear, but it's not worth it. Everything worked out the way it did and we're lucky to have Rob as the face of our program.

The only guy in college baseball that rubs me the wrong way more than Sunny is that egomaniac in Austin. I'm still working on my top 5 irritating personalities in FCS Football.

I'm still working on my top 5 irritating personalities in FCS Football.

LOL - still needing four more names to round out your list, eh?? :rofl:

No. Done in the nick of time. Several friends did though. I could post more stuff on here than anyone would like to hear, but it's not worth it. Everything worked out the way it did and we're lucky to have Rob as the face of our program.

I heard more of the story about the last time Sunny was at JLJ during the tournament last weekend. I was aware that Sunny didn't get the warm welcome he was expecting that day, and that he received a lot of heckling from the students. But what I heard this weekend, from a guy who was there, that I didn't know before, was that the students were actually his ex-players, camped out over the third base dugout and giving Sunny what for.

Had to be a little hard on the ego . . . :?:

i suspect his not scheduling ORU has less to do w/being taunted by former players and more about not wanting to lose to ORU. i'm sure he heard much worse in big 12 ballparks after the thing w/his daughter and playboy than he ever heard in JLJ.

Sonny = tool..... |(

I heard more of the story about the last time Sunny was at JLJ during the tournament last weekend. I was aware that Sunny didn't get the warm welcome he was expecting that day, and that he received a lot of heckling from the students. But what I heard this weekend, from a guy who was there, that I didn't know before, was that the students were actually his ex-players, camped out over the third base dugout and giving Sunny what for.

Had to be a little hard on the ego . . .

That's what's so amazing. Aboslutely NO former players of his like him, noone related to the former program can hardly stand him and I've talked to players at OU during my time and they all feel the same way, saying that he has all but ruined alumni relations over there. YET, he has never been in more love with himself. I don't understand it, but probably glad I don't.

That's what's so amazing. Aboslutely NO former players of his like him, noone related to the former program can hardly stand him and I've talked to players at OU during my time and they all feel the same way, saying that he has all but ruined alumni relations over there. YET, he has never been in more love with himself. I don't understand it, but probably glad I don't.

Regardless of whether Sunny is liked or not, he's getting talented players that keep his team ranked and is successful in getting to host regionals from the NCAA. When baseball players come to play under Sunny's tutelage, they are performing - whether it's by intimidation or teaching. I personally don't like the manner in which Sunny coaches, but you can't deny that he gets results, even if there are casualties along the way.

Hard to believe Sonny lasted so long at ORU with those kinds of bully tactics....then again, maybe he got some pointers and backing from RR who apparently used the same methods with the ORU faculty.... :P

For those of you that can't get enough of Sunny, enjoy this... You'll also enjoy the old uni's, P-Rob and you see the slide at the plate that stopped the OSU series. OSU took great exception to Chad Rothford taking out the catcher's legs. It was really a good baseball play, but it's all a matter of perspective.

The Sunny Disposition

Nicely done video. I love the retro uni's; Chad made a great play at home plate. That OSU coach is a big bag of wind, throwing his clipboard and acting like a complete fool. Was that the first baseball game he'd seen, or what?

There - did I leave anything out? Oh, yeah - glad sunny Sunny works for the greatest institution on earth - but who was blessed the most - him or us?

Looked like a good slide to me....if the catcher is going to stand on the plate, he should expect to get hit....that's baseball, my friends....this isn't Little League..... ;).....OSU stopped playing us over that?....geez..... |(

Looked like a good slide to me....if the catcher is going to stand on the plate, he should expect to get hit....that's baseball, my friends....this isn't Little League..... ;).....OSU stopped playing us over that?....geez..... |(

The catcher sustained some sort of knee injury in the play - I think he was replaced for the rest of that game, if I remember right, but was playing again by the weekend.

That play cleared both benches - maybe the only time I've seen that since following ORU baseball - at least the only time I remember. A little bit of shoving and pushing, a lot of yelling, and little else. Nobody wanted to get ejected!! Next time to the plate Chad got plunked and the pitcher was booted. Chad trotted to first like he'd just been walked.

I just watched that play again - ran through it several times - that catcher really didn't leave chad anyplace else to go! What was Anderson expecting Chad to do? Stop and wait for the throw to come in? The reaction to that play was TOTALLY out of sync with what happened. I guess performing for the crowd is a big part of coaching baseball . . . |(