Trever Vermeulen

tmh8286

I wouldn't be surprised, because I looked it up and the answer is 6. Was surprised to see that Adam Vinatieri was a Jackrabbit. I don't care about kids getting sent to NFL camps. I could go try out at an NFL camp if I wanted to, but what's the point?

It's surrently six, but overall it's many more. USD has also had alot, though not as many. You couldn't go try out at in NFL camp. These kids were all called and invited to many camps right after the draft. One guy was drafted.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SDSUJacks

• theeagleman5

• Old Titan

• TrueBlue82

Sorry for the error, Jacks....so you were with the entire family for the Memorial Day holiday?....that's nice....must have been a lot of cases of Old Milwaukee slammed down at that party...... :P:rofl::P:rofl:

Yes...we had a great weekend....took the covered wagon through the snow covered plains to a cross burning. |(

Had a sales call with an NAIA athletic department administrator today who, while discussing ORU's tournament championship win this past weekend, was stunned to learn SDSU's baseball field had no lights, no power, no bathrooms, and no press box.

"Wow," he said, shaking his head as he looked out the window at his own baseball field. "I can't believe a Division One school would host games in a facility like that. We wouldn't."

We couldn't believe it either, sir... :shake:

I just remembered, we were kind of talking about this last night. A guy was telling me how SuFu needs to build a baseball stadium downtown. I said it will never happen. The current baseball stadium "The Birdcage" was renovated like 10 years ago and featured in a half page story in the USAToday. Mike Veeck (son of Bill) is still the owner I believe of our minor league team.

Jacks,

I admire your passion about SDSU and FCS Football (capitalized to show respect). However, here is where your argument breaks down:

1. You equate game attendance with national significance. (I bolded the main points in my post with the main points in your rebuttal to illustrate that point)

2. You continue to argue college baseball in general, when I specifically made a case for the College World Series. (Also noted in bold in my original post and your first response)

3. When you discuss FCS Football Playoffs presence in the mainstream national media like ESPN (which is what I mean by national significance and not local attendance), you concede that Omaha (The College World Series) also does well. Which is closer to the point I was making in my argument.

Even if ORU had an FCS Football program, I would hold the ability to compete for a NCAA D-1 National Title in Baseball over the ability to compete for a FCS Football Championship not because I like baseball more than football, but because winning a NCAA National Title means you competed at the highest level for that sport and won. If ORU had a NCAA D-1 Hockey program, but competed in NCAA D-2 or D-3 Baseball, I would say the opportunity to win the D-1 Hockey title holds more weight than the D-3 baseball title because we did it against the best college hockey programs in the country.

All good points. I would just say we'll agree to disagree simply b/c you don't have a top 15 FCS football program and we don't have a historically strong baseball program making the postseason for the 13th straight time. Would the shoe be on the other foot if it were switched? No question.

College baseball has zero national significance save for the games played for 8 days in Omaha, agreed. Your average fan couldn't tell you much about any aspect of college baseball or even where most MLB players attended college.

Having a successful FCS program is vital b/c it gives you a better chance to move up to FBS one day. Montana, who beat us in the first round playoff last year is crazy successful. Talking 25,000+ at every home game and the atmosphere is unreal. They are currently strongly considering moving to FBS, as is NDSU. Western Kentucky, who wasn't even dominant in FCS, just made the move. FCS football is very much bigtime football and full of great players who will play for pay.

I disagree, though, with your assertion on the SDSU board the the tournament needs to be removed from Tulsa. Weather, facilities - and LIGHTS - make J. L. Johnson Stadium the best venue for the tournament in the conference. They've tried moving it, first to Centenary, then to Western Illinois, but both times it's ended up back in Tulsa.

Of course, you guys have next year to prove me wrong! ;)

I don't think it's fair that it's played on your home field. Same rule that applies for Summit Basketball should apply for baseball. I would feel much better if it were played at the Tulsa Triple-A team (used to be the Drillers, not sure now) stadium. ORU, while maybe not the best team in the Summit this year, had a HUGE advantage having it played on the field where they play and practice.

Somone was also asking me about why it was at the LJL this year. I said I imagine the Summit is nearly as concerned about money for the baseball tourney like they are the basketball tournies. Weather is a big issue as well as the fact that ORU has, by far, the best facility. But I know other Summit cities have good minor league facilities. Sufu has a real nice smalled minor league field and I guarantee SuFu would do a great job with it. We've had a minor league team very successful in attendance the last 15+ years.

Both Trevor and Blake, Jacks two best pitchers, are juniors. So, barring a good draft choice or injury, they'll be back. Much of the offensive firepower will be back for the Jacks baseball next year.

Good success at the Regionals ORU, represent the Summit well. Better luck than the last Summit team tasked to knock off OU in Norman.

My bad... I thought he was a junior, but checked the SDSU website first to make sure, and it had him listed on the roster as a senior. What I didn't realize is that they had already updated their roster for the 2011 season! I guess the Jacks want to forget about 2010 pretty quickly! :lol:

In any case, I hope Trever gets drafted high enough to have to think about moving on before this senior year. He's got talent - and I wouldn't mind at all not seeing him in a STATE uni next season.

All good points. I would just say we'll agree to disagree simply b/c you don't have a top 15 FCS football program and we don't have a historically strong baseball program making the postseason for the 13th straight time. Would the shoe be on the other foot if it were switched? No question.

College baseball has zero national significance save for the games played for 8 days in Omaha, agreed. Your average fan couldn't tell you much about any aspect of college baseball or even where most MLB players attended college.

Having a successful FCS program is vital b/c it gives you a better chance to move up to FBS one day. Montana, who beat us in the first round playoff last year is crazy successful. Talking 25,000+ at every home game and the atmosphere is unreal. They are currently strongly considering moving to FBS, as is NDSU. Western Kentucky, who wasn't even dominant in FCS, just made the move. FCS football is very much bigtime football and full of great players who will play for pay.

Jacks - I can't speak for everyone... but I'll try, because I don't believe ANYONE on this board, besides SDSU fans, cares a single bit about your football team. And, although you may not believe it, it's not out of envy for you having something that we don't.

It's because the only reason we care AT ALL about ANYTHING related to SDSU is because you are conference members with us in the Summit League. We really don't care about your South Dakota history, your weather, your cities, your economy, your geography, your model citizens, Mount Rushmore, your rival school USD, your feud with Kansas or Missouri or North Dakota or Minnesota, or ANYTHING about South Dakota UNLESS it relates to our connection with you in the Summit League.

In other words, if we're playing baseball against you in Brookings in March, we DO care about your weather. If you choose to host the baseball tournament next year, we WILL care about the Sioux Falls minor league facility, because hosting it in Brookings would be a joke... but other than that, we couldn't care less about the Sioux Falls facility.

We really only care about you because ORU is committed to play you in certain sports.... and when we're done playing you, we lose interest until we are matched up again. Call us shallow, self-centered, single-minded... but guess what... this is a message board dedicated to ORU Sports!!!

Now, here's the news flash...the Summit League DOES NOT SPONSOR FOOTBALL. Until the conference and ORU both choose to sponsor football (not happening), you can pound your chest about your acclaimed football program until the cows come home, and the response here will always be the same. |-)|-)|-) Why??? Because there is ZERO connection with the purpose of this message board - ORU Sports.

This thread can now be returned to its original upright position. Go Eagles!

Is this the only guy on the board who actually answers himself?.... |( ......totally bizarro.....it's like an episode of Seinfeld or something....and hey pal....cross-burning went out in Oklahoma at least 60-70 years ago....you are way over the line on that one.... |(|(|(

Jacks - I can't speak for everyone... but I'll try, because I don't believe ANYONE on this board, besides SDSU fans, cares a single bit about your football team. And, although you may not believe it, it's not out of envy for you having something that we don't.

It's because the only reason we care AT ALL about ANYTHING related to SDSU is because you are conference members with us in the Summit League. We really don't care about your South Dakota history, your weather, your cities, your economy, your geography, your model citizens, Mount Rushmore, your rival school USD, your feud with Kansas or Missouri or North Dakota or Minnesota, or ANYTHING about South Dakota UNLESS it relates to our connection with you in the Summit League.

In other words, if we're playing baseball against you in Brookings in March, we DO care about your weather. If you choose to host the baseball tournament next year, we WILL care about the Sioux Falls minor league facility, because hosting it in Brookings would be a joke... but other than that, we couldn't care less about the Sioux Falls facility.

We really only care about you because ORU is committed to play you in certain sports.... and when we're done playing you, we lose interest until we are matched up again. Call us shallow, self-centered, single-minded... but guess what... this is a message board dedicated to ORU Sports!!!

Now, here's the news flash...the Summit League DOES NOT SPONSOR FOOTBALL. Until the conference and ORU both choose to sponsor football (not happening), you can pound your chest about your acclaimed football program until the cows come home, and the response here will always be the same. |-) |-) |-) Why??? Because there is ZERO connection with the purpose of this message board - ORU Sports.

+ 1

Thanks for taking the time say that, JB. I couldn't have said it better and it is most appropriate and accurate.

Let's talk about baseball here and the Summit League on another part of the board. Those that want to talk about SDSU football, can go the the NCAA and Summit League part of the board and talk about that.

I look forward to our continued competition in baseball with SDSU when the time comes.

Now, here's the news flash...the Summit League DOES NOT SPONSOR FOOTBALL. Until the conference and ORU both choose to sponsor football (not happening), you can pound your chest about your acclaimed football program until the cows come home, and the response here will always be the same. |-)|-)|-) Why??? Because there is ZERO connection with the purpose of this message board - ORU Sports.

The Summit will never sponsor fball.

I think ORU is probably better than the OKC Thunder

Yes. Agreeing to disagree is best in this scenario. Out of the millions that love and follow college football every year, I bet 90% would have no idea who won the FCS Championship last year or even be able to name the top 5 programs. I didn't even know what FCS Football was until I heard you talk about it. I do wish SDSU all the best as spring football gears up this year and hope you make a deep run in the playoffs.

What an incredible post! :up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

But what a waste for it to be directed at easily the most frustrating poster in ORU message board history.

Still, I for one appreciated it nonetheless - "What he said!!" :!:

Yes....great job of summarizing what many of us think, TrueBlue..... :clap::clap::clap:

In response to TrueBlue82's post I would say we too didn't know who you were or what you were about before joining this conference. Many still don't. You think, nationally, anybody cares about either of us? But I care and b/c of that it drives you nuts? You guys are in a state where you are small potatoes at best. And you're upset w/ me for giving you attention? Who is your rival? And do they consider you their main rival? The Summit will not sponsor fball. That's big boy stuff. That would be a good way to lose the Dakota schools who are fball powers. But of course that would be cool, right? Nope.

In response to TrueBlue82's post I would say we too didn't know who you were or what you were about before joining this conference. Many still don't. You think, nationally, anybody cares about either of us? But I care and b/c of that it drives you nuts? You guys are in a state where you are small potatoes at best. And you're upset w/ me for giving you attention? Who is your rival? And do they consider you their main rival? The Summit will not sponsor fball. That's big boy stuff. That would be a good way to lose the Dakota schools who are fball powers. But of course that would be cool, right? Nope.

You're in a state that's smaller than metro Tulsa...

You're in a state that's smaller than metro Tulsa...

Actually, he's in a state of denial.

And delusion.

He should have his own state flag.

I can see it now: a rabbit, with its head in the sand.