Trever Vermeulen

tmh8286

Here's a nice article about SDSU's ace closer, Trever Vermeulen:

King of the hill

At the time of the writing of the article, May 21, Trever had an ERA of 0.63!! From the article:

"Vermeulen's ERA of 0.63 leads all Division I pitchers with at least 50 innings of work. University of Texas junior Chance Ruffin is second at 0.87 and nobody else is under 1.00. In fact, nobody has been under 1.00 since 1990."

The article goes on to say that the last time anyone had an ERA this low was 1981, when Jeff Keener of Kentucky finished at 0.51. Trever is on the watch list for National Pitcher of the Year.

"After the fall of his sophomore year, the reality was he didn't have the stuff to make an impact on the team - he was always going to be buried on the bench and never play," SDSU coach Ritchie Price said. "As a last-ditch effort, we dropped him down to sidearm to see if it works, and we caught lighting in a bottle."

Vermeulen seems to be humble enough about it: "It's just good defense behind me," he says with a shrug. "I pitch to contact and let them do the work."

I'm posting all this first of all to give credit to a truly outstanding young man, and secondly to say that Trever has feet of clay like the rest of us after all. WIU found a chink in his nearly impenetrable armor this weekend, scattering six hits and plating four runs in the final game of the series, and raising his ERA to 1.15.

If ORU faces Vermeulen this weekend, which they almost certainly will, they need to keep last weekend in mind . . .

(Interestingly, Vermeulen, who has been stellar as a closer all year, was brought in in the sixth, and lifted in the eighth on Saturday.)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SDSUJacks

• theeagleman5

• Old Titan

• TrueBlue82

Here's a nice article about SDSU's ace closer, Trever Vermeulen:

King of the hill

At the time of the writing of the article, May 21, Trever had an ERA of 0.63!! From the article:

"Vermeulen's ERA of 0.63 leads all Division I pitchers with at least 50 innings of work. University of Texas junior Chance Ruffin is second at 0.87 and nobody else is under 1.00. In fact, nobody has been under 1.00 since 1990."

The article goes on to say that the last time anyone had an ERA this low was 1981, when Jeff Keener of Kentucky finished at 0.51. Trever is on the watch list for National Pitcher of the Year.

"After the fall of his sophomore year, the reality was he didn't have the stuff to make an impact on the team - he was always going to be buried on the bench and never play," SDSU coach Ritchie Price said. "As a last-ditch effort, we dropped him down to sidearm to see if it works, and we caught lighting in a bottle."

Vermeulen seems to be humble enough about it: "It's just good defense behind me," he says with a shrug. "I pitch to contact and let them do the work."

I'm posting all this first of all to give credit to a truly outstanding young man, and secondly to say that Trever has feet of clay like the rest of us after all. WIU found a chink in his nearly impenetrable armor this weekend, scattering six hits and plating four runs in the final game of the series, and raising his ERA to 1.15.

If ORU faces Vermeulen this weekend, which they almost certainly will, they need to keep last weekend in mind . . .

(Interestingly, Vermeulen, who has been stellar as a closer all year, was brought in in the sixth, and lifted in the eighth on Saturday.)

Western solved Trevor for 4 earned runs in the 7th, including the only HR he gave up all season. Pitched the 6th & 7th innings only, and was replaced at the start of 8th, in a game with no downside consequences. (ORU/NDSU results known)

I can't help but think that Trevor's Saturday results were impacted by pitching 3-2/3 innings in Friday's nightcap. That length of stint can be a challenge for any closer, especially when your services are called upon again the following day.

If Oakland can hang with the Jacks on Thursday, SDSU may need to pull out their ace earlier in the weekend than they would like!

I don't know about this Vermeulen dude, but I would guess the Treinen guy should see his ERA go up a little after giving up 14 in 4 innings today.

Bring this guy on tomorrow....we will kick his A$$..... ;)

Bring this guy on tomorrow....we will kick his A$$..... ;)

Hey, Eagleman... no need to spout off... let the scoreboard do the talking... ;)

Hey, Eagleman... no need to spout off... let the scoreboard do the talking... ;)

My scoreboard says we are 3-2 against ORU this year.

SDSU Baseball - Big Ten Champions

Can't wait to beat this guy around tomorrow....SDSU is dead meat....TheEagleman is sick of being Mr. Nice Guy....it's all over, baby.....these Dakota schools are pathetic....maybe they can beat us in the cow chip toss....but not tomorrow at JLJ......True Blue ORU!.... ;)

My scoreboard says ORU has 13 consecutive conference championships.

Really?

Impressive...no doubt. The only Mid Con/Summit school who should feel bad is Centenary. Of course you guys will freak that I dare take exception to your streak, but, beating up on a bunch of northern schools who could give two craps less about baseball (we have a very large beast called FOOTBALL) is like bragging about being the coolest kid in Boy Scouts. You guys puffing out your chest about the baseball thing is like Manitoba bragging they are better in hockey than Mexico.

Back to my scoreboard...you've been, at the very least, pushed big time by a northern school who couldn't care less about baseball b/c we are a FCS football power. Get happy about college baseball.....congrats. But noone cares. You could add up 5 years of ORU baseall attendance and it wouldn't trump 1 DAY of SDSU football attendance. I'm going to go check out that thread where the ORU fans posted mythical football uni pics when they dream about having a football program.

Tell me how horrible I am.... |(;)|(;)

Really?

Impressive...no doubt. The only Mid Con/Summit school who should feel bad is Centenary. Of course you guys will freak that I dare take exception to your streak, but, beating up on a bunch of northern schools who could give two craps less about baseball (we have a very large beast called FOOTBALL) is like bragging about being the coolest kid in Boy Scouts. You guys puffing out your chest about the baseball thing is like Manitoba bragging they are better in hockey than Mexico.

Back to my scoreboard...you've been, at the very least, pushed big time by a northern school who couldn't care less about baseball b/c we are a FCS football power. Get happy about college baseball.....congrats. But noone cares. You could add up 5 years of ORU baseall attendance and it wouldn't trump 1 DAY of SDSU football attendance. I'm going to go check out that thread where the ORU fans posted mythical football uni pics when they dream about having a football program.

Tell me how horrible I am.... |(;)|(;)

Valparaiso and Southern Utah, along with Centenary, fielded several better teams during ORU's streak than this particular SDSU squad, not that I would expect you to know anything that matters regarding conference history before 2008.

Just hope everyone remembers this silly rant once he falls back into passive-aggressive mode and returns to playing the "Christianity" card whenever it suits him. What a freaking joke... :fubar:

Jacks, you would have a point if ORU got slaughtered in the regionals/super regionals every one of those years they won the conference tournament. On the contrary. ORU competes and wins against the big boys too. So it's not like all we can do is beat a bunch of scrubs in our conference. Not only that, Jacks. Your football argument really doesn't hold any weight until you guys do it at the D1 level. The college world series has more national significance than the fcs football championship. That's just being honest, dude.

I don't know about this Vermeulen dude, but I would guess the Treinen guy should see his ERA go up a little after giving up 14 in 4 innings today.

Isn't that an ERA of about 30?

Really?

Attendance??? We're talking about Attendance??? I'm talking about conference championships. Baseball, basketball anything else you want to talk about. I don't see any "FCS" championships for SDSU football. For that matter, I don't even know what FCS football is. I know you guys are probably still reeling from your 9-0-1 season in 1950, but until you play and beat a team anyone has heard of it doesn't really mean anything. Our "high school" powers of Jenks and Union could probably hang with you guys. And I KNOW they have sent more kids to professional football than SDSU. I had never heard of SDSU until we joined this crappy conference.

After today, you can start planning your tailgate party for the FCS Delaware game, while we head to another NCAA D-1 baseball regional for the 13th time in a row.

PLEASE.... Don't feed the troll!!!

Ditto that, Blue.

Will we be seeing you at the game today?

PLEASE.... Don't feed the troll!!!

Word! I thought we agreed. (true colors showing, btw)

This is clearly a down year for ORU baseball....that being said, we have still beaten #2 Texas, and Top 25 schools Baylor and Wichita State....on any given day, we can compete and win with the best....TheEagleman doesn't expect us to win a regional this year but ORU can certainly win a game or two and compete favorably.....the results of the past two days does show that this team has some heart....we should win game 1 today....SDSU will be on the bus by dinner time....enjoy the ride home!.... ;)