Centenary

ManiacAlum

Very big weekend to say the least... can't remember ever saying that for a conference series. Centenary's website has a splash screen calling it "The Battle of the Best", or something like that.

Im guessing there's probably rain expected in Shreveport this weekend? Any chance we lose a game due to weather?

Because of the tragic passing of the Western Illinois player, Centenary will turn around and host WIU on Monday and play a DH on Tues.

Let's hope our pitching staff holds things together and our bats continue to be hot. It still will come down to the tournament at JL Johnson, but a top seed would be very helpful.

After the weekend series, where is Centenary going to find pitchers? That could be an interesting series.

As was pointed out in other threads, pitching in critical spots is going to be important. ORU outscored it's last 2 weekend opponents 109-63 and still split the eight games. Even if you take away the 34-run HR derby game against IPFW, it's still a +22 run margin for ORU, but then they have a losing 3-4 record over those 7 games. Weird, weird stuff.

Well....not a great start in Game 1....ORU getting hammered 8-1 in the 5th.....the bats need to come alive but we might need about 15 to win this one with our pitching.....not good.... :sweat:

Pretty embarrassing to get ten runned in Game one of the series...11-1.....hopefully, the boys have some pride and bounce back tomorrow....no excuse for coming out that flat in a big series opener against the first place team....Burleson came up small giving up four in the first....it went downhill from there....TheEagleman will hold his tongue until after tomorrow's DH...... :worried::sweat::worried:

Pretty embarrassing to get ten runned in Game one of the series...11-1.....hopefully, the boys have some pride and bounce back tomorrow....no excuse for coming out that flat in a big series opener against the first place team....Burleson came up small giving up four in the first....it went downhill from there....TheEagleman will hold his tongue until after tomorrow's DH...... :worried::sweat::worried:

Only a true Philly fan could blast a team's performance/character for five straight sentences - and then announce that he is "holding his tongue"! :rofl:

While disappointed in the outcome and hopeful of a turnaround in the remainder of the series, this season's success or failure will ultimately come down to Memorial Day weekend in Tulsa. In the past, the Summit League tournament has served as nothing more than a coronation - this year it will be a battle for pride/history, etc. I'm making my plans to be in Tulsa at JLJ two weeks from today to cheer my heart out for a team that desperately needs "something good to happen" to it. I hope you'll join me there!

:D ....yes, TheEagleman is a true Philly fan and still euphoric over the Flyers win vs. the Bruins last night becoming only the 3rd NHL team in history to come back from a 0-3 deficeit and win 4 straight.... :clap::clap::clap: ...talk about character... ;) .....however, I don't know if it's a lack of character on this ORU baseball team....more likely just a lack of pitching talent....hopefully the bats awake today and we go out there and get a pair....TheEagleman isn't giving up hope just yet!.... :)...I agree that it will all come down to the Summit Tournament in two weeks....as long as ORU gets in, the seed doesn't really matter..... :geek:

Ten runned again in game one today.....17-7 after coming back from 5 runs down early and tying the game at 6-6....ouch!....what more can TheEagleman say?..... :worried::(:worried::(

Just got back home from a week in Tulsa - The Golden Eagles would have to be on an extended road trip!

Can't win for losing: with ORU still batting in the top of the fifth with a 4-1 lead, the first stoppage of play all year long due to rain washes out the nightcap until Sunday.

If it's too wet in Shreveport to play tomorrow, the game is a complete washout and we leave Shreveport with an 0-2 record this weekend.

FINALLY, some good news for the Eagles. The rain holds off and ORU completes the 7-inning game with a 13-5 victory. The second game is ALL Golden Eagles - 15-0 after four. Looks like we might have four 7-inning games this weekend - and a 2-2 split.

19-1 final. Nice ending to Summit road games for the season. Back to JLJ for the Bison and then the Summit tourney!

Thanks for the update, Blue...that IS great news!...the good guys truly showed a lot of character after getting pounded the first two games..... :clap::clap::clap: ....they could have folded but the bats come alive and ORU gets 32 runs in the last two games and some decent pitching giving up only 6....that has to send a message to the Gents that we won't be a pushover in two weeks at the Summit Tournament....TheEagleman will enjoy a cold lager tonight and lift a toast to the Golden Eagles as I am watching Flyers-Montreal game 1.... ;)

How can we lose one day 17-7, and then turn around and beat the same team 19-1 the next? I don't get it.

How can we lose one day 17-7, and then turn around and beat the same team 19-1 the next? I don't get it.

It's the nature of baseball. With different pitchers, weather, lineups and umpires (at least behind the plate), the variables of baseball are more extreme than any other major sport. It was truly odd, however, that each game this weekend ended in seven innings, and the teams split the four game series evenly. I would not want to play Centenary in the first round of the tourney, as it seems that their starting pitching drops off dramatically after their first two starters.

It's the nature of baseball. With different pitchers, weather, lineups and umpires (at least behind the plate), the variables of baseball are more extreme than any other major sport. It was truly odd, however, that each game this weekend ended in seven innings, and the teams split the four game series evenly. I would not want to play Centenary in the first round of the tourney, as it seems that their starting pitching drops off dramatically after their first two starters.

It will be interesting to see, if SDSU and ORU remain in the #2/#3 seeds, whether Centenary will start Whiting against SUU in the first game. I, for one, am glad that we're off the road now for the remainder of the season. I just hope that we are all gathered around the TVs in the Grand Slam Room come Memorial Day morning when the NCAA Tournament brackets are announced.