ORU Coaches' Luncheon - May 25th

ORUTerry

MARK YOUR CALENDAR: ORU COACHES' LUNCHEON MAY 25TH!

Join us at First Watch Cafe on May 25th for the 2010 ORU Coaches Luncheon, featuring ORU men's and women's basketball coaches Scott Sutton and Jerry Finkbeiner.

The luncheon runs from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., on Tuesday, May 25th, with the coaches program beginning at noon. First Watch Cafe is located at 81st & Lewis in The Plaza Shopping Center. The all-inclusive price for lunch is just $10.

Coach Sutton and Coach Finkbeiner will be covering a wide range of topics, including a recap of this past season, prospects for the coming school year, fall and spring recruiting, scheduling for this coming season, and the like. They will also take questions from the audience.

Schedule permitting, a coach from the ORU baseball team will also be on hand to discuss their season and the upcoming Summit League baseball tournament in Tulsa.

Reservations are not required, but please let us know (e-mail: terryblain@cox.net) if you plan to attend so that First Watch can plan accordingly for the estimate.

We look forward to seeing you on May 25th - GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

• 2 weeks later...

Baseball Coach Rob Walton has confirmed that he will be speaking at Tuesday's luncheon - you'll want to be there to hear him, along with Coach Fink and Coach Sutton.

Baseball Coach Rob Walton has confirmed that he will be speaking at Tuesday's luncheon - you'll want to be there to hear him, along with Coach Fink and Coach Sutton.

Wait just a minute - we TIED for the regular season championship - and only lost the #1 seed based upon a tie-breaker system. Does the #1 seed host the following year - or the regular season champion? If it's the latter, I certainly hope that the League office will break the tie based upon the ability to host the tournament at a location with adequate facilities.

I don't know the specifics of the rule, Blue, so I don't know how the tiebreaker situation works. Hopefully more information about this will be forthcoming. There's a high probability that some of the good folks from SDSU will let us know. ;)

Keep in mind that for something like a conference tournament, SDSU may choose to play the games at the minor league facility located in Sioux Falls. When SDSU was looking to join the conference, this is the field that was always pictured. It's very nice:

Sioux Falls Stadium 360 degree view

Sioux Falls Stadium

Hasn't the tournament been played in Shreveport and Macomb a couple of times in the past? How did that happen?

The other schools in the league complained and the conference moved it to accomodate the other schools. The fact is that no one else in the league come close to touching the accomodations of JL Johnson Stadium and the tournament has quickly come back to Tulsa.

Just another reason for ORU to get out of this conference...bad enough we have to play the Summit basketball tourney up there in the frozen tundra but at least that's indoors....playing the baseball tournament in their 3rd rate facility wouldn't be pretty....guess Sioux Falls would be a decent alternative....TheEagleman isn't against moving the tournament around....that's a reasonable thing to do.....but a school with no decent facility can't host the tourney... |(

If we'd taken care of business - even as recently as the day before yesterday - we wouldn't be in this position. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but we have no one but ourselves to blame.

Right now, it doesn't show that we need to get out of this conference because we have lost nine (count 'em) games in this conference. It's time to stop having things handed to us and go out and earn the Tournament.

Ouch...I guess Bogus has taken TheEagleman to task...... :P

If we'd taken care of business - even as recently as the day before yesterday - we wouldn't be in this position. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but we have no one but ourselves to blame.

Right now, it doesn't show that we need to get out of this conference because we have lost nine (count 'em) games in this conference. It's time to stop having things handed to us and go out and earn the Tournament.

Hard words from a hardnosed man - you tell 'em, Bogus!! :geek:

Hard words from a hardnosed man - you tell 'em, Bogus!! :geek:

Yeah...sorry about that...just frustrated, I guess. Our team is better than they have played and I'm not seeing their focus and intensity. I'll go back to my corner now!!!! :doh:

Just a few comments on the rule that may, and I stress may, move the baseball tourney out of Tulsa next year. About six months ago, the Summit presidents decided to give the conference champion in some sports the first option to host the tourney the following year. The rationale being that the champion typically has the strongest program and the largest fan base(meaning better ticket sales). Also, in most cases, the dominant Summit program also has one the best facilities in that particular sport. You guys have one of the two best baseball facilities in the Summit; we(NDSU) have one of the best volleyball facilities, etc. This rule doesn't apply to all sports, either. Obviously, the basketballs are exempt, as are T&F, golf and S&D(I think). I'm not 100% certain exactly which sports fall under the rule(don't know if tennis does or not), but baseball is one of them. This current season is the first where the champion will get the option to host.

But it's not automatic. Just because the champion gets first crack doesn't mean that school will accept the opportunity. Unless SDSU chooses to host it in Sioux Falls, I doubt they will take it. They're trying to improve their facility in small steps, but it's just not ready for a conference tournament and won't be for quite a while with all the other pressing needs in their athletic department. Now if NDSU wins the crown in the near future(by some huge miracle), we'll definitely host the tourney the following year. But then again, we've got the the other top-two facility in the Summit. (I won't argue which one is better, just that JLJ and Newman are both very good.) I also don't know if the tourney champion gets second dibs if the regular season champ declines(assuming they are different schools). That would seem to be logical, but who knows without seeing the wording of the actual rule.

If all champions accept the offers, these will be the likely locations of next year's championships:

Volleyball: NDSU

W Soccer: SDSU

M Soccer: Oakland

Softball: WIU

Baseball: ???

I think the rest are still assigned the old way.

Why wouldn't SDSU host the tournament in Brookings. I would be willing to bet money that they would...and they should, they've earned it. I think its safe to say that they tournament will be headed North next year.

The only obstacle would be if the minor league team has games scheduled during that weekend. Otherwise, I expect the tournament to be played in Brookings next year. I also suspect that they will try to coordinate schedules so that there is no conflict.

Ugh....get the snow shoes ready.... |(

The facility in Brookings is inadequate to host a conference tournament. First off, it has no lights. The same scenario presented itself in Macomb in 2007 and nearly caused lots of problems with a series of rain delays. We don't need to go that route again.

Secondly, the field in Brookings has no electricity. The electrical needs are powered by a Honda generator. There is no press facility to speak of. The fan seating is minimal and there isn't a lot of room for more metal bleachers. There are no restroom facilities.

The minor league stadium in Sioux Falls, however, is pretty nice. It's in a great location and would be a preferable option.

Say what you want about SDSU's fans, but their athletics people are pretty bright. I'm certain that if they choose to host the baseball tournament next year, they'll do everything they can to play it in Sioux Falls.

Oops.... I meant Souix Falls (not Brookings) in my post above.

Thats where it was last year too and it was in the 50's and it was the warmest womens soccer tournament in the past 3 years...but we wouldn't know because twe weren't there. Let's face it SDSU has earned the right to host the Baseball tournament and its up to them whether or not they host it in Brookings or Sioux Falls...if nothing else maybe it will motivate our boys to win it back next year. Heck maybe it will motivate soccer and volleyball to win the right to host it in Tulsa too.