GREAT OFFICIATING

ANDROO

Mickey was obviously inspired by my new avatar to (1) push people down and (2) score over them. 5 fouls and 12 points in 15 minutes.

This from Ken Pomeroy yesterday:

"Did you see the night LeBron had? No, not that LeBron. I?m talking about Hofstra?s Jorge Lebron, and his five fouls in one official minute of action against UNC Wilmington. The NCAA lists the record for quickest to foul out at 1:11. King Maims used up his five fouls in a 46 second span, but it?s unclear exactly how long he was on the floor. "

Mickey's shove of Ayuba was ill-advised but undoubtedly deserved. It drew a double- T, which hurt us a whole lot more than it hurt UMKC, because it happened with a dead ball (as I remember) and accounted for Mickey's fifth foul. Two fouls back to back, with no play time between them. That was tough luck for Big Mickey.

Voice.... what really happened there? It looked like Hankins was furious and was jawing a bit with Coach Z. Was Coach Z yelling at one of our players? I stood up and cheered Hankins for not taking any guff. When Sutton saw what was going on, he went over and took Hankins' place by the scorer's table.

Zvosec jumped up and was yelling that Mickey "shoved him". Hankins jumped up and said, "he was shoved, first." It was VERY heated. Each time Zvosec spouted off, Hankins fired right back. It was great!

The overall demeanor of our staff is more laid back than most coaches in our conference. We've got a classy bunch of guys, but sometimes I think our guys could be A LOT more vocal with the refs. Hankins emotion last night was REFRESHING! I was cheering inside!

I think Tom could take Zvosec and I could take the little bald UMKC assistant coach! Tag team title, here we come!

Was just wondering, Are you trying to say that coach Zvosec isnt a classy coach and our staff is a bunch of babies? and you have a very classy staff.....

I think most of the staffs in the mid-con are pretty classy with VALPO being the class of the Mid-con. The only 3 staffs I would have a problem with are Chicago State, WIU, and Centenary.......

Coach Z has been nothing but a classy guy since he took over 5 years ago. I am not saying anything about the ORU staff....Dont know enough about them except they are very underachieving for thier talent.... Except last year, 25 wins was a damn good year.

I don't know enough about Zvosec to say yes or no, about his level of "class".

However, from what I observe of him (up, very close) and the words that come out of his mouth, I have some doubts.

I will give him this...he is a COPMPETITOR and FIGHTS for 40 minutes to get the most out of his guys. He never gave up and neither did your team. That much is obvious.

Guest EagleBackr
Was just wondering, Are you trying to say that coach Zvosec isnt a classy coach and our staff is a bunch of babies? and you have a very classy staff.....

I think most of the staffs in the mid-con are pretty classy with VALPO being the class of the Mid-con. The only 3 staffs I would have a problem with are Chicago State, WIU, and Centenary.......

Coach Z has been nothing but a classy guy since he took over 5 years ago. I am not saying anything about the ORU staff....Dont know enough about them except they are very underachieving for thier talent.... Except last year, 25 wins was a damn good year.

Teams tend to take on the personalities of their head coach. That's why ORU seems to laid back at times. Whenever our guys do lose their tempers, our coaches are the first one's there to try and stop it. UMKC's squads under Zvosec have typically TRIED to be very physical, even confrontational, with ORU. Watson, English, Ayuba, Day, Stephens - each have had a "lowlight" moment against the Golden Eagles. Zvosec seems to allow, even encourage, the behavior. He certainly does nothing to discourage it. When Michael Watson was taunting the ORU student section during timeouts, and then came back out on the floor after the game and basically challenged an entire section to fight, Zvosec was neither seen nor heard....

From an objective observer, I had a chance to talk to Coach Z on the elevator during last years tournament. Just him and me. I congratulated him on being named "Coach of the Year". He seemed genuinely humble about it and was very friendly. He is a competitor however. Seeing him on the sidelines is like night and day from seeing him off the floor. My normal color man on our internet games, Paul Curtis, used to work with him at the Purdue summer basketball camp, and says he's a very funny friendly person off the floor. During the game he'll cut your heart out....Not the worst thing that you can be as a coach.

Some coaches can be the most laid back guys off the courts and the most intense on it. Yelling at officials and players doesn't make a coach a jerk, just intense. I'm sure that Zvosec is a great guy, just intense. I know that if I were coaching ORU I'd be freakin' out all over the refs. And I know this because that's what I do in the stands. If I were sure the refs could hear me, I'd yell a lot more, or at least complain to them more.

Until I had some direct contact with him during last year's Mid-Con Tournament, I thought Greg Kampe was a JERK! The way he stomps, yells, marches up and down the sidelines, bugs his eyes out, I've yelled at him to SIT DOWN from the stands many times.

But once I'd met him, all of a sudden the wild man on the side lines is a very nice and affable person that I'm happy to have met. Now his sideline antics seem much more acceptable, or tolerable, to me.

It would probably be the same with Zvosec. One on one he's probably a good guy, and once you knew that, you wouldn't mind his behavior on court. But right now I don't know him, and his behavior DOES bug me.

rlh,

You could not have explained Coach Z any better. I have had the chance to talk with him many times over the past 5 years at radio shows, games, and occasional ROO lunches.... He is a very humble person, that cares about his players on and off the court...

With that being said, those 40 minutes on the court, he will do anything to give his team an advantage... He realizes his talent this year is not what is has been the last 2 years, so he fights his butt off to keep his team in games.... I really do enjoy him and see the program going in the right direction under him.....

When UMKC plays ORU its basically a brawl... We dont like them, they dont like us......On the court that is....... I have no problem with ORU off the court.....