ORU on ESPN Pride of the Program on Thursday...

Guest Blevins

Great, right in the middle of an ORU game. I guess I'll tape it.

My guess for the moment has to be the elite eight year. If our moment is the Oakland game from last year I'm going to freak out. Then I will get on this board and post about how I am freaking out.

Our "Pride of the Program" is going to be on during a game between two programs that we've played fairly recently. Can't beat that!

Except that it's on WHEN WE ARE GOING TO BE AT A HOME GAME! Oh, well, we've all got VCR's.

As far as which game, I'll pick the 86-82 OT win against Syracuse in the NCAA Tournament, March 9, 1974, if it's a win; if it's a loss, then the Kansas game where ORU lost 93-90 at the Mabee Center, March 16, 1974.

We'll be featured during the Georgetown-Marquette game at 8 p.m. on ESPN.

Any guesses as to what our Big Moment is?

My arrival on campus in August of 1989?

If it is not one of the NCAA tournament games, then it might be the night Anthony Roberts set the scoring record (63?) for most points in a post-season tournament game (NIT).

If it is not one of the NCAA tournament games, then it might be the night Anthony Roberts set the scoring record (63?) for most points in a post-season tournament game (NIT).

Anthony Roberts, 65 points against the University of Oregon in an 89-90 loss in the first round of the NIT, March 9, 1977.

Guest EagleBackr

...it's got to be something where there is existing VIDEO - can't imagine them gushing over Anthony's NIT performance while showing still shots. My money is on the 1974 NCAA Elite Eight run - but just wonder how they can avoid mentioning Ken Trickey's DUI charge that weekend. Call it "Pride & Prejudice of the Program"!

I'm curious, voice - how long have you been announcing the games?

Off and on, since 1989. Actually, 89-91, I did the color commentary on the radio broadcasts for basketball and baseball. One year on KXOJ and the other on AM1550 (I think).

But, as the FULL TIME PA guy for basketball, my first year was Scott Sutton's first year. Before that, I did PA full time for baseball, soccer, etc. and ran the scoreboard for men's and women's hoops(93-97).

ORUvoice doing color - now THAT'S something I'd like to hear again.

Think Haxton could use a partner during baseball?

Sounds like you dove right in as soon as you arrived in town - maybe you ARE the PRIDE of the Program!

well voice, you got a great voice.

Can't tell you how many times I've been at other basketball games and thought to myself, I sure do miss the voice.

I even miss the patented: one, two, three!!!!; when I'm at other games.

So many announcers are over the top with their duties, especially when announcing players at the beginning of the game. I think Mike does a perfect job.

(You can pay me in $20's or $50's, voice.)

I just happened to see Oakland's pride of the program last night.

And yes you guessed it - it was all highlights from last year's mid-con final.

Would anyone be able to record it and post it here? Or is that a copyright violation? I know a lot of us would like to see it and may miss it because of the UMKC game tonight.

Speaking of the game TONIGHT ... the board has sure been quiet about it up to now!!!

Let's get fired up! GO EAGLES!!!

A 30-second vignette will focus on one of three historic moments in ORU's basketball history -- Anthony Roberts' 65 points against Oregon in the 1977 NIT (still the Division I postseason record); ORU's Elite Eight team coached by Ken Trickey in 1974; or the opening of the Mabee Center in 1972.

Of those three I believe it will be Roberts vs. Oregon.

I was a student at the University of Oregon when that game was played, and I remember the DAY well, but not the game. I wasn't really a basketball fan then.

I was in Chemistry class the morning after and talk of the win was all the buzz.