TU Hypocrisy

oruvoice

TU announced a crowd of over 5,000 for yesterday's exhibition game against UCO. I was there and there MAY have been 2,000. It's funny how they accuse us of padding attendance numbers! HA!

Also, we all need to be thankful for so many things in regards to what we have at the Mabee Center BESIDES the product on the floor. In every aspect...Arena, Band, PA Sound, Promotions, Excitement, Etc., we are FAR ahead of TU.

You take a neutral observer to both venues this weekend and I can 100% guarantee that in every way we are light years ahead of TU.

Voice,

We were down three rows from the court and could not understand what was being said over the sound system. Was that because of our location or is it that way everywhere? Hard to believe that sponsors would put up with the poor acoustics....

It bad everywhere in that place. I feel bad for their PA guy.

The Ren Cen is defecient in SOOOOO many areas. Other than their TREASURED video scoreboard, that arena is far inferior to Mabee Center. It really makes me wonder what the TU admin. was thinking when building it?

And one other thing...I enjoy walking, but the parking situation over there is ATROCIOUS! Ren Cen...1/2 filled parking lot...1/4 filled parking lot...empty lot...empty lot...empty lot...empty lot...all for "Reserved Parking"! I mean, there is one lot about a half mile away that is "Reserved Parking". HA!

That new AD has a TON of work to do.

Guest EagleBackr

...all you have to do is go on their message board to see all those complaints - and more. The game day experience over there has never been the same since Rob Marshall (ex-ORU guy) left. By the way, how about those TU season ticket TV spots for men's and women's basketball? Oh, that's right - there aren't any! Guess they're pretty satisfied with where they're at, charging outrageous prices for bad parking and worse basketball. And I think we would still be outhustling them off the court - and on it - even if we were selling out every game. We're the Avis of college basketball in this town - We Try Harder!!

You know, as much fun as I have with them on their message board, part of me is sad for TU. They do have some good fans and I've met a lot of friends and they are in for another LOOOONG season. About 10-11 wins for TU this year, maybe.

Couple the bad product on the floor, with the aforementioned poor aocustics, band, in game promotions, etc. and it just makes for a painful college b-ball experience.

The only qustion left is will it be uglier on Dec. 3rd or Feb. 1st?

Guest EagleBackr
The only qustion left is will it be uglier on Dec. 3rd or Feb. 1st?

...I assume Feb. 1 is when Mr. Calipari and the Memphis Tigers will be in town?

I took a stand over on our board for EB today. And I addressed the "Hypocracy you speak of. But I come over here and see almost the same stuff. At least you all don't sttop to the Usuall diatribe of name callilng. Thank God for that.

In Defense of the Don Rey, What do you expect from an 8 year old Sound system? Especially after 3 years of declining attendance and season ticket sales. Can you tell me that you all maintained the quality of videos that you now produce? Would you have been able to go "outside the school for that type of production had you not started winning and draawing more fans to your games.

ORU is on an upswing, TU is in a downswing. Your going to enjoy the benefits of that upswing and we're going to have to bear the defeciencies until we can start our own resurgence.

I also disagree with your assesment of the Don Rey as a whole, but this is due to personal preference. Just as I am sure your oppinion of your facitilty is based on personal opinion. I just prefer the layout of the DonRey to that of the MabeeCenter. That doesn't necessarily mean that one is better than the other. IMO your facility is really dated and needs several upgrades. Heck, for that matter I'd love to see you guys continue to improve the program and begin to raise the funds to completly redesign the inside of the arena. Floor, Video system, Lighting, seating, etc. But, that is going to take a while, but it isn't out of the realm of expectation.

Right now, about the only thing that the DonRey needs is a new Sound system. The other things you speak of are marketing things. And any TU fan will agree with you that TU is far INFERIOR to what ORU is currently doing. Hopefull, though, Bubba will change that. And change it Quickly.

I know what I said on my board won't sit well, I don't care. I Strongly believe that two universities with Quality programs will benefit both programs, as well as the city. That is what we should be concentrating on.

I'm proud to say that we have two good universities in our town that over quality athletic programs for the citizens to enjoy. We should be joining forces to pull those lazy citizens off their couches to support us. Not fighting amonst ourselves.

BasPlayr, I appreciate your posts both here and on the TU board. I really hate all the name calling and comparisons and trash talk, from fans on both sides of town.

For some reason some people on the TU board feel that you can only have interest or allegiance to one team. I've been a TU fan for years, and that doesn't lessen my passion for the Golden Eagles one bit. The fact is, people in the Tulsa area have an opportunity to follow two great D1 teams, and to not take advantage of that fact reflects on your passion for college basketball. The reason I visit the TU board is because I'm interested in TU basketball, and I'm interested in reading about it. What I don't like are the insults and garbage I read directed at me because I ALSO happen to be an ORU fan.

The comparisons and all that come up are natural, I guess, but in the long run are meaningless, because it all comes down to playing the game. The petty arguments that arise on these boards only serve to inflame hostilities, but they don't prove anything. I think we just need to talk basketball.

Guest Rob Marshall

My wife, Kelly, who by her own admission is NOT a sports fan, has experienced both ORU and TU basketball games with me over the last two seasons. She is definitely what you can call an unbiased observer and she much prefers the ORU game experience to TU's production. PLUS, the Mabee Center is less than a ten minute drive from our South Tulsa home.

Although quite different than the traditional college basketball pep band, Kendall Johnson and ORU's version of the "Tonight Show Band" are musically excellent. ORU's cheerleaders are amazingly improved, and the "Maniacs" are a fresh, enthusiastic boost to the arena's atmosphere. The facility's new lighting system is fantastic and is utilized nicely during the "ORU Spirit Sprint." On-court promotions are still well done by ORU's sports marketing crew.

TU offers the more traditional basketball "pep band" (the numbers and quality of which screams small private school) but does have the typical BCS-type spirit squads (featuring three squads: co-ed cheer, all-girl cheer, and a dance team and again the product is indicative of a small private school). Does TU do on-court promotions anymore? And I've said for years TU needs to build a small parking garage immediately across Harvard Avenue from the Don Rey for event parking (they own the property and could charge $5 to park and generate a lot of revenue).

Student attendance and passion is solely driven by the success and expectations of the program. When TU was winning big, the Don Rey student section was completely full and quite wild although there were no organized cheer blocks like the ORU Maniacs (TU did have a "Self Defense" section once upon a time which later made its way to Champaign, IL and now can be found in Lawrence, KS).

ORU has always had excellent television/video (commercial) production, but CW & Co. certainly did a superb job on this year's spots. TU has typically had very well done ESPN quality video production as well compliments of WinnerComm (and Diamond Mike's a pro too). The Don Rey has a definite advantage over the Mabee Center from a scoreboard standpoint. A major "raise the roof" campaign will have to be undertaken to give the Mabee Center a similar video scoreboard due to the limitations of a 40' trim height above the court ... not happenin'!

Agreed, the Mabee Center is due a face lift ... updated colors, seating, carpet, concessions, restrooms, needs to lose the metal railing and gates around the court, oh and speaking of the court how about some new hardwood, and the list can go on and on ... BUT even with all its deficiencies, the Mabee Center is still a GREAT place to watch games and has plenty of excellent parking immediately available outside the arena and it's FREE!

Yeah, parking (or lack thereof) was the thing I disliked the most about the Don Rey. Granted, the only game I've ever attended there was last year's TU / ORU game. I ended up having to park near a frat house (I think) and walk about 3 blocks.

Adder & Rob.

I think it's safe to say that we share a lot of the same ideas about both schools.

There are aspects of the ORU product that I definatly wish we had going on at TU. Namely the Band, the Maniacs, & maybe Voice.....

Well, that might be a stretch (JK buddy) :D

I have not gone to any of the games at ORU that I have not enjoyed.

I think TU fans are blind to the fact that ORU has a storied history in Basketball. That's either because they are to young to remember like us old codgers, HehHeh, or the can't get past their religious prejudice issues.

I have about had it with some of their childish smack and hope I have made myself clear on our board. Some can see it, but others never will.

I think that the whole aspect of message boards is great for sports fans to come and discuss things. Smack is expected, but it can be done without the childish stuff that seems to be the norm with some of the TU posters.

Hopefully, in a couple of years, TU & ORU will be making Tulsa a known

commodity in the sports entertainment field. With both of us taking our respective conferences titles on a regular basis, meeting each other in the NCAA's and one of us hopefully making a strong run at that elite status.

And hopefully we can learn to do it as civil, mature individuals.

God bless, and see you 12/03.

I thought for a long time the ORU production is better.

From the maniacs, to the halftime shows, and promotions all around the Mabee Center.

The ORU facility is nice, it just needs to be updated.

The parking is what, 3-4 blocks out on each side?

What is the difference in walking 3-4 blocks through a parking lot and walking 3-4 blocks down a street? 3 block is 3 blocks.

In your defense, I still have no idea why 1/4 of the largest parking lot for the Reynolds Center is blocked off each game and is rarely more than 1/3 full.

The Reynolds Center has a much more modern feel and I have not heard the sound system sound as bad as 5 or 6 people have said it did. Maybe I'm losing my hearing, who knows. They do have someone different working it at times and that effects quality.

TU's production and halftime entertainment are geared towards 65-80 year old crowd where ORU's is geared toward young families. It's hard to guess which is more entertaining.

I find it strange that despite ORU "tendency" to be more conservative, it is TU that is the conservative one. Maybe TU has too many lawyers, who knows.

TU thinks big but acts small.

Until that changes, the production and atmosphere for games will not change.

The DonRey is still a nice place to watch a basketball game.... and as bad as the sound system is for listening to the PA announcer - the noise level when the fans start yelling is a nice home atmosphere. (It bounces off the concrete and metal nicely.) Wish the Mabee Center could generate that kind of noise, but the padded seats tends to 'soak up' the decibels.

I am one of the few TU fans that loves the Mabee Center... it is like an old diner filled with character but is it "better" than the Don Rey? I dunno, it is different, not better. TU promotions are terrible, worse than Union/Jenks and yes, the sound system blows but dont let that define the facility any more than I would let some broken chairs define the Mabee. Promotions can be upgraded, as well as sound....

ash =o)

I disagree about crowd noise inside Mabee Center, WHOLEHEARTEDLY!

I remember a couple of occasions in the Self days when we played Arky and others, when TU played two home games at our place in the mid 90's, and I GUARANTEE that when you put 6,000 & up in that place, and they are on their feet into it, the Mabee Center is as loud or louder than the RenCen.

Because of the "bowl" shape and the low ceiling, the Mabee Center CAN be one of the loudest arenas in the country. Unfortunately, we can't put 10,000 Mike Canada's in the joint. If we did, I guarantee you it'd be the LOUDEST ARENA in the WORLD!!!

I remember running out as Eli during the Spirit Sprint during homecoming a couple years back. I got a foot out of the tunnel and I thought "WOW! It is LOOOOUD in here!"

It doesn't get loud as it should be as often as it should, but make no mistake, when you're on the court for the TU or homecoming game - you can sense the true potential that it has if people would just get in there and rock it every week.

I'm really jealous that I couldn't be at the UMAC for the electricity this past March. Its exhilerating to be on the court when there are that many fans all putting their energy into one team.

Sorry but the Mabee with its warmth will never ever be as loud as the newer more "cool" arenas. Just the seats alone absorb a lot. The loudest crowd in the last several years was the 5400 at the Don Rey for the WAC champ in Phillips 2nd year. I was at that Ark. Self game and it wasnt near even the 5400 as referenced above.

ash =o)