Chris Riouse should be starting

tmh8286

Isbig has been shouting this from his megaphone for some time, I'm beginning to hear it from a number of others, and I agree: Chris Riouse should be starting.

I think that Chris hasn't always been healthy, and that has kept him out of the starting lineup in the past; however, it looks like those problems are behind him, and here is the case that can be made for him starting:

1. He's a senior, with only five regular season games left in his college career.
  2. He is one of the best, if not the best, defender amongst our guards.
  3. His scoring potential has grown with each game he's played, with last night's game the apex.
  4. The guy can flat out play.
  5. He's one of my favorite players, and I'd like to see his career at ORU honored.
  6. Broken Arrow all the way!

Okay, you can leave the last one off, but the others are all ligit reasons for Chris to start.

What do you think?

I couldn?t agree more. At least while Tutt is out. After last nights performance I think he has earned it. We should scare IUPUI with the outside threat early on.

Riouse is very good and probably should start while KT is out. Just wanted to point out an underlying line from last nights game...where did Larry all the sudden learn how to shoot 3's. I know he has been hitting them here and there all season, and last night 4 of them out of 5 thats grrrrrrrreat. Heres to wishing we had him for more than just 2 seasons :(

While I do not think that Chris being a senior should factor in to his starting he should definitely be starting. He should be starting in place of Yemi, and I would also like to see Vealy as our first sub off the bench, at least until Ken is back to 100%

I think Chris should start & KT should come off the bench when he comes back. Our chemistry has been established while KT has been on the DA list. Let Ken start again next year when he's a senior and let our current senior Chris Riouse start for the rest of the season. Chris' stats are better than Ken's this year, so he has earned the starting position.

Look back at the threads and see how disapointed some of us were with KT this year. He is good, but he has another year to start.

The fact that he's a senior should have nothing to do with it. What's next, Meloy starting over Caleb.

While I do not think that Chris being a senior should factor in to his starting he should definitely be starting. He should be starting in place of Yemi, and I would also like to see Vealy as our first sub off the bench, at least until Ken is back to 100%

Man, fenix, we've been around and around about this on the board in the past, and I for the most part find myself defending my position, but it has been a trademark characteristic of Scott Sutton to honor his seniors, who have paid thier dues, by starting them. Not only him, but coaches across the country, including those in our own conference, do the same thing. All things being equal, seniors start. Nobody is saying Maloy is equal to Chris, or even Yemi. But Chris and Yemi are for the most part interchangeable (each has his won strengths), and in that situation, Chris should start.

But even if it's not for that reason, the fact that he has improved his game to the point that he's at is evidence that he's earned a starting spot.

I agree Chris should be starting, but I also believe to let the best players play. Right now Chris Riouse is our best shooter and one of our best defenders, so he should start, but not because he is a senior.

Last year was Meloy?s official senior year. He had a fairly mediocre career, and last year Coach started putting him in a little more during the very end the season. It was at this time that we noticed how good of a player he actually was. We were all surprised at how well he did. He even got some decent playing time during the tournament. I remember thinking to myself where has he been the last 3 years?

These are special privileges for seniors. What?s the big deal? Start Riouse and if he doesn?t perform take him out after a few minuets.

Fowlkes should also definitely start especially since his entire 92-member family will be in attendance. I can just hear the crowd roar as he is announced in the starting line up.

Basketball 101...

If you have a guy who is an offensive spark, who has been coming off the bench and providing that spark...don't screw with it.

Keep him coming off the bench with that offensive punch!

Now, if you want to argue for a few more minutes, then fine.

So a guy can't work his way into a spot in the starting lineup on your team, voice? If a player starts playing really well, you keep him on the bench for a "spark"?

Once a reserve, always a reserve, huh?

Not what I said, but at this time of the year if something is working...like CR playing well as a reserve, you don't jack with it.

November or December, play around with him starting. Not mid-February when he is playing well in his role...

I'll buy that to some degree, but don't see it set in stone. To date we haven't really had a stable starting lineup, mostly due to injuries and the like.

I still say start him . . .

Freshman or Senior, Chris Riose should start. Best shooter on the team. If we have Mickey, Caleb, and Larry to clean up the boards we dont have a dire need for Yemi in there. I would much rather have a guy hittin 3's on a regular basis than one that can, well do what ever Yemi does. From another perspective, he's kinda out secret weapon. When Oakland was talking about who to key in on, do you think Riouses name came up? He got in from the bench and really hit them in the jaw. Either way- starting or not starting- Chris is doing a superb job for us, and i hope he has his charm in the game tommorow.

Thanks tim for taking my topic!!

I have been saying all along. While ken is hurt, chris should be starting. If he had been starting he wouldn't be "coming off the bench" to provide a spark he would have been "sparking" from the opening tip. Ehambe should be providing the spark, which he can do. There is no reason to have a one guard line up in the starting rotation. Starting is just an honors thing anyway, you can sub in any time you want.

Believe me, Sutton knows my thoughts on it!

I am also with Mom on this one, when Ken comes back, till he gets his legs, off the bench and Chris starts.

It always tends to bother me when people talk about a certain player getting to start. Isn't the most important thing how much playing time a player gets. I haven't looked at the ORU stats, how much playing time is Chris Riouse getting? I know fans tend to put a lot of stock in whether a player starts a game/half or not but the true determination of a players value to a team is his playing time.

Well, the issue is settled, at least for this game. From today's World:

"Sutton said he prefers Riouse coming off the bench, and who can blame him. Riouse has averaged 12.3 off the bench in his last eight games.

Sutton will alter his starting lineup slightly, with 6-foot-4 Eric Fowlkes replacing 6-foot-10 Mickey Michalec to counter the smaller, quicker Jaguars."