A few nuggets...

oruvoice

In the final minute, Kevin Ford comes to the scorer's table to check in. He smiles at me and I gave him a quick wink. He winks bak and says "Are you ready?". That dude is hilarious. He is always talking it up to the other team, his teammates, and even the scorer's table. At one point, as he's checking in with a Missouri player, he smiles at him and says "we're gonna beat you guys."

Late in the second half, Mike Anderson pulls one of the refs aside and says, "look at the fouls, it's 9-4". To which the ref replies, "they aren't playing any defense." Anderson shrugs his shoulders and returns to the bench.

Agree with OT in other threads...not the best win by far. But, maybe the "guttiest" ORU win I've seen in 20 years. In the second half, we played basically just 5 guys. Don't know the minutes, but Niles and Bell-Holter didn't get many minutes. Sheer will by the Golden Eagles.

The crowd was really good in the final 2 minutes, but lackluster the previous 38. That said, when the Mabee Center gets to rocking, it is one of the loudest arenas I've ever been in...even with only 6,000 people last night.

60-59...same score we beat TU by in 1999. It was my first thought when Craion's basket went through. Eerily similiar to that game a decade ago in many regards. Final shot also seemed to hang on the rim before going thru.

Finally, I don't mean to be a killjoy, but this is one game. While I will enjoy it, we still have a LONG season ahead with a BUNCH of young guys and a VERY short bench...

Late in the second half, Mike Anderson pulls one of the refs aside and says, "look at the fouls, it's 9-4". To which the ref replies, "they aren't playing any defense." Anderson shrugs his shoulders and returns to the bench.

The crowd was really good in the final 2 minutes, but lackluster the previous 38. That said, when the Mabee Center gets to rocking, it is one of the loudest arenas I've ever been in...even with only 6,000 people last night.

60-59...same score we beat TU by in 1999. It was my first thought when Craion's basket went through. Eerily similiar to that game a decade ago in many regards. Final shot also seemed to hang on the rim before going thru.

Which ref, voice? Got to be Collins. Ended up only a three foul difference in the game, thirteen against us, sixteen against them. Didn't think our defense was that bad, though, especially in the first half.

Hard to tell up where I was sitting how loud the crowd is in comparison to other places. It SEEMED loud, but difficult to get a sense of that from the seats. Scott was very complimentary of the crowd last night in the post-game interview - he's truly a great guy. I know I'd yelled myself hoarse long before the final two minutes.

I was thinking the same thing about the ball bouncing high in the air and hanging on the rim being reminiscent of Binum's shot against TU. I'd love to see the two shots together in one video . . .

I think the crowd really started to get into the flow when Ford started to pump them up and motion for everybody to stand up. When the players do that the crowd seems to respond.

It wasn't Collins. It was Thibodeaux.

Also, good to see Pearson and McClintock there and enjoying the celebration and seeing the Mabee rocking. Should give them some warm feelings and excitement about working thru their injuries and being excited about next year...

In the final minute, Kevin Ford comes to the scorer's table to check in. He smiles at me and I gave him a quick wink. He winks bak and says "Are you ready?". That dude is hilarious. He is always talking it up to the other team, his teammates, and even the scorer's table. At one point, as he's checking in with a Missouri player, he smiles at him and says "we're gonna beat you guys."

Agree with OT in other threads...not the best win by far. But, maybe the "guttiest" ORU win I've seen in 20 years. In the second half, we played basically just 5 guys. Don't know the minutes, but Niles and Bell-Holter didn't get many minutes. Sheer will by the Golden Eagles.

Finally, I don't mean to be a killjoy, but this is one game. While I will enjoy it, we still have a LONG season ahead with a BUNCH of young guys and a VERY short bench...

Way to bring it, Big Daddy!! :clap:

But you didn't have to be such a killjoy at the end. I still say this team will be like the OU football team this season: pretty shaky on the road, but a force to be reckoned with at home.

Voice,

You may have had one of the best intangible plays of the game - and you were sitting on the sidelines!

When you beckoned in hurriedly after THE SHOT to not have anyone throw anything on the floor!

Elsewise, technical foul free throws could have ensued and dashed our would-be come from behind win!

GREAT CALL AND HEADS UP "PLAY"! :clap::clap::clap:

Voice,

You may have had one of the best intangible plays of the game - and you were sitting on the sidelines!

When you beckoned in hurriedly after THE SHOT to not have anyone throw anything on the floor!

Elsewise, technical foul free throws could have ensued and dashed our would-be come from behind win!

GREAT CALL AND HEADS UP "PLAY"! :clap::clap::clap:

With so many Missouri fans in the stands, how could the refs hold ORU responsible for something being thrown on the floor?

Would seem that frustrated Tiger fans who don't value a souvenir ORU mini-basketball might rank as prime suspects in that situation...

I saw two mini-balls thrown onto the floor and even though I feel confident that they were launched by frustrated Mizzou fans, it needed to be stemmed immediately. A technical foul in that spot would have been tragic.

Great post Voice. Interesting to hear that stuff. I thought the officiating all-in-all was fair. And I usually don't say that. I thought Thibodeaux made a few bad calls at critical times mainly because he can't run. He hobbled back and forth within 20 years of the center court line and made several calls out of position and most importantly, missed some. It just makes the win even sweeter.

I can't comment much about the crowd noise. It can always be better, but the last few minutes were golden. We don't win that game on the road. All I know is I was yelling before the game started and about lost my voice at the end of the first half.

I love Kevin's confidence. And it's alot easier to like when you back it up, play smart and work your tail off. I think alot of credit should go to Ken Holdman last night. I think he had one turnover?!? For a guy who recently got thrust into the point guard role, I thought he handled the pressure and "anticipation of pressure" tremendously. Niles showed a few freshman moments on some 3-point attempts. Had he pump faked on a couple of those that got thrown into the stands, he would easily had 6 more free throws last night.

Holdman has made REMARKABLE progress since the PG job fell in his lap. Why is this? More trust from the coaches, sense of destiny, shouldering the responsibility? I don't have the answer, but I know that since he's gone from role player to starter he's become a major contributor in a way that he wasn't before.

Thanks Voice for sharing the bits on K-Ford. He played big roles last night - some key rebounds, a great slam at a key moment at the end (having been on the receiving end of a great pass) and the leadership/confidence factor you mentioned. He is a great person on top of that. How many players have EVER come up into the stands for a high-five and said thanks for the support? K-Ford came over to our section after the game and did both of those things. Never experienced that before - and never took any offense. IMHO, those moments on the floor are mostly for the players and the students ... but Kevin took time to come over and thank some of us geezers in the stands. Very classy kid.

Holdman has made REMARKABLE progress since the PG job fell in his lap. Why is this? More trust from the coaches, sense of destiny, shouldering the responsibility? I don't have the answer, but I know that since he's gone from role player to starter he's become a major contributor in a way that he wasn't before.

We talkn' 'bout PRACTICE... that's why!

How about the play where the ball is poked away and the Missouri players looks like he will grab it and get an easy breakaway - and before you can blink, Holdman is to the ball. It had to be one of the most impressive displays of speed I have ever seen on a basketball court. He is simply blazing.

How about the play where the ball is poked away and the Missouri players looks like he will grab it and get an easy breakaway - and before you can blink, Holdman is to the ball. It had to be one of the most impressive displays of speed I have ever seen on a basketball court. He is simply blazing.

"Cat" quick perhaps? Time will tell, but Holdman brings back some early memories of my then favorite player.

I still say this team will be like the OU football team this season: pretty shaky on the road, but a force to be reckoned with at home.

Uh-huh.