2010 Schedule

Bogus Smith

Whatever the reason, it's a crying shame that the three baseball-playing state schools don't all play each other, especially when all three programs are consistently national powers.

Do Florida, Florida State and Miami (Fla.) all avoid each other like that? What about USC, Cal-Fullerton, and Long Beach State? Or, Houston, Rice, and Texas A&M?

In these economic times, it just seems like there should be some way to schedule 4-6 games a year between ORU and the two state schools, instead of flying 20-25 guys all over the country for games against similar competition.

Absolutely!...it's totally absurd that ORU, OU, OSU and Arkansas are not playing each other EVERY year......please guys, give the fans and players what they want....exciting baseball and a chance to compete vs. regional rivals!..... :fubar:

It seems that baseball coaches are a prickly bunch. They seems to think that they can't afford a loss to 'lowly' ORU. Nevermind that it seems we don't recruit a lot of the same kids. You would think the coaches (or at least AD's) would see the benefit to their programs (and fans) of playing a nearby school in a fairly large market (Tulsa). It doesn't make any sense - economic or otherwise.

There's a lot more chest-thumping and egos in baseball than most any other sport. Just like the game, there is a lot of analysis and "behind-the-scenes" strategy that goes on that makes the game unique - and scheduling is just part of the mystique. Sometimes things that make logical sense are not found in baseball. I do think that the in-state schools are reluctant to take a loss from ORU than the other regional players, like WSU, UA and MSU. I think that those outside of Oklahoma respect our program and are willing to play a quality opponent regardless of the consequences internally and in recruiting. I do think that with our facilities now, our prospects of getting OSU (and more UoA) on the schedule are more remote as I think we'll get more quality recruits coming through the ORU program in the next couple of years.

BTW, I have never heard of baseball coaches being "prickly". I'll need to dwell on that image a while... :?::lol:

I was thinking of Golloway or other regional coaches who are 'troublesome or irritable'.... I can understand being intense, but to be disagreeable or nasty is ultimately counterproductive for them and their teams.

I agree, Terry and think that it is reflected in their team's play when they eventually do play ORU.

Sometime in the not to distant future, getting to Omaha will have to go through ORU instead of around it.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated the schedule with the remaining Summit League opponents. We're still missing the opening weekend opponent and a few mid-week games, but the schedule above is about 85% - 90% complete. We definitely will miss some baseball in May as we're on the road from April 25 - May 20. Wish we could do a better job of being in town one weekend and out the next like we do in basketball. :^):!:

The schedule has finally been posted here at orugoldeneagles.com. Looks like we have a weekend series with the University of North Dakota that was missing.

The home schedule doesn't look all that good with home games with TCU, Wichita State, Western Michigan and Missouri State. Maybe we can find a few other mid-week games that can be scheduled on the fly. :wasntme:

Only one game with Texas and Arkansas?.....what's the deal with that?..why not at least play a DH if we are going to make the road trip?..... :!:

Only one game with Texas and Arkansas?.....what's the deal with that?..why not at least play a DH if we are going to make the road trip?..... :!:

Usually pitching is saved for the weekend/conference series and mid-week games are intended to get work for those outside of the normal pitching rotation. That being said, there is usually not enough good pitching available on most college rosters and they can't take a chance of going too deep and losing a game to a mid-major team which may hurt their RPI. Although our RPI isn't that low, a loss to any mid-major is not looked upon favorably by the baseball gods. :o