Indoor facility will help Golden Eagles soar - Tulsa World (7-6-09)

ORUTerry

Indoor facility will help Golden Eagles soar 

20090706_oruindoor0706.jpg

ORU baseball head coach Rob Walton stands inside the steel structure of the Golden Eagles' new indoor practice facility north of the school's baseball field. STEPHEN HOLMAN / Tulsa World

(excerpt)

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

7/6/2009

Last Modified: 7/6/2009  3:48 AM

Oral Roberts University's new indoor practice facility helped track and field coach Joe Dial land a big-name recruit — and the structure isn't even finished.

Norman North pole vaulter Jack Whitt, a three-time high school state champion and recent winner at the USTAF junior championships in Eugene, Ore., has signed with the Golden Eagles.

Whitt has cleared 18 feet, 1/4-inch — less than three inches shy of the national high school record......

Link to Tulsa World

This facility will pay lots of dividends to the basebal program - as well as track and soccer. Good job by the Athletic Department.

I'd love to have a SHOP just about that big - think of all the tools I could fit in there . . .

Cool seeing the prayer tower lined up in the doorway or whatever in the bottom left corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like prgress is being made on the major projects of the athletic department.  It's great to see the improvements being made to JLJ in addition to the indoor practice facility. 

Thanks for keeping us informed of the progress of this project. I think that this facility will be a major factor in our baseball team's ongoing success. I can't wait to see the finished building.

I'm still learning how to upload pictures into these messages (after all of these years!!), but the link below are some pictures that I took with my iPhone when I was on campus the last two weekends.  Some of these pictures don't show some of the more glamorous parts of the renovation, but it also shows a side of the facilities as they are going up that will allow us to appreciate the finished product later this summer.  I hope that you enjoy these.

ORU Sports Complex and Baseball Upgrade - 7/10/09 & 7/18/09

Thanks, Bogus, for the pics. You don't even know how good it is for someone who has only been to ORU once since graduating in 1981 to see pictures of the place that I have so many fond memories of. You made my day!

TheEagleman has also not been back to ORU since the year after graduation in 1977....good to see things being improved....so, the old HRC where we played basketball prior to Mabee has been torn down?... :-P

TheEagleman has also not been back to ORU since the year after graduation in 1977....good to see things being improved....so, the old HRC where we played basketball prior to Mabee has been torn down?... :-P

You old geezer, you!  8-):-D

Yep, the building was imploded back in 2002 when the University was attempting to building a new Student Center on that site.  There was an article written a couple of weeks before Richard's resignation in November 2007 about the $8.8M raised for the new building and the project being stalled (the article is linked here).  Since the building was razed and cleared, it has been an open area ready for the next phase.

Look at the bottom left of this picture - where the Prayer Tower is. If the old classroom center/gym was standing, it would be in the line of site.

20090706_oruindoor0706_package.jpg

I am just cluing in to where this practice facility is going! It's hard for me to imagine the campus without the old Classroom Center. I understand the uproar with its removal, but that is nostalgia for you!

Wow, the practice facility is right in the center of the campus! It's hard to imagine how it might fit with the rest of the architecture round about. On another note, the placement of the facility sure puts athletics generally more front and center. Athletes were usually on the outer fringes of the campus (Mabee, stadium, or AC), but no more. Big changes!

Look at the bottom left of this picture - where the Prayer Tower is. If the old classroom center/gym was standing, it would be in the line of site.

20090706_oruindoor0706_package.jpg

Thanks, Terry. It is hard to picture it just from the photographs. I went to the campus map to get a better picture. Hopefully, when it is finished, we can get a new aerial photograph to really put things in perspective. I imagine that with all the new sparkle on campus, there will probably be a plethora of new pics, official and unofficial, to document the new sheen.

http://www.oru.edu/virtual_tour/

I am trying to insert the link to the campus virtual tour map. Hopefully it works. Maybe it will assist other out-of-towners. I imagine the building sitting where those parallel lines are in the middle of campus. What direction does the entrance face?