ORU vs. UT-Arlington tonight!

tmh8286

yes, but we got to listen to Haxton call the 9th and 10th which is almost as good as being there.  :-D

You're absolutely right there, MrsSmith - that's why I always take my radio to the games - you get the best of both worlds!!

I have to admit, I enjoy listening to the games so much that, if I've got a lot of stuff to do, I have a hard time getting myself to go to the games! 

I don't post this to rag on the Tulsa World - just as a point of interest.  It was a big news day.  Blake Griffin got two pages.  TU football got about a third of a page.  The Cardinals, about a quarter page.  Even Union baseball got nearly a half a page, with a picture.  Here's the write-up from last night's game:

"ORU edges UT-Arlington: Juan Martinez blasted a two-run homer in the bottom of the 10th inning Tuesday as ORU edged UT-Arlington 9-7 at J.L. Johnson Stadium. The Golden Eagles improved to 13-9 overall, while the Mavericks fell to 16-15 on the season. Martinez went 2-for-5 with four RBIs."

Three sentences.  Even Courtney Paris not paying back her schollie received more attention.

I guess we should be grateful for three sentences - Monday's loss to DBU rated only one.  Probably because yesterday was a home game.

On orugoldeneagles.com the first 3 sentences of the media release is as such:

TULSA – Juan Martinez blasted a two-run homer to center field in the bottom of the tenth inning as ORU edged UT-Arlington by a score of 9-7 on Tuesday night at J.L. Johnson Stadium. The Golden Eagles improved to 13-9 overall, while the Mavericks fell to 16-15 on the season.

Martinez went 2-for-5 on the night with four RBI, while Tyler Garewal (Bakersfield, Calif.), Seth Furmanek (Gilbert, Ariz.), PJ Sequeira (Petaluma, Calif.) and Johnny Roberts (Pryor, Okla.) also added two hits apiece.

The paper stopped before the 3rd sentence was over. 

I noticed this when reading about Friday's 19-0 win the story just stopped suddenly.  Again from the press release on orugoldeneagles.com and reported in the paper.  The first 3 sentences,

TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts University baseball team opened Summit League play on Friday night with a 19-0 blanking of IPFW at J.L. Johnson Stadium. The Golden Eagles improved to 9-8 overall, while the Mastodons dropped to 7-15 on the season.

The Golden Eagles scored three runs in the bottom of the second on four walks, two hit batters and one error.

I guess Union-BA represent enough newsworthy comments than D-1 baseball.

The TW and those who run the Sports section despise all things college baseball. The coverage has changed dramatically in the last five years, and it hasn't changed to the better.

If I'm not mistaken, the TW has yet to send a writer to a single college baseball game in the state this spring. I don't expect to see one anytime soon, either.

The TW and those who run the Sports section despise all things college baseball. The coverage has changed dramatically in the last five years, and it hasn't changed to the better.

If I'm not mistaken, the TW has yet to send a writer to a single college baseball game in the state this spring. I don't expect to see one anytime soon, either.

Agreed...about the only people that seem to be interested in baseball at the TW are Barry Lewis and John Hoover.  Hoover used to do some extensive coverage on all four college baseball programs, but when he became the beat writer for Sooners football a couple of years back, there was no one at the World to take over for him on the college baseball front.  If more than a thousand people came out for a game other than Bedlam, they might be more apt to cover the game.

Agreed...about the only people that seem to be interested in baseball at the TW are Barry Lewis and John Hoover.  Hoover used to do some extensive coverage on all four college baseball programs, but when he became the beat writer for Sooners football a couple of years back, there was no one at the World to take over for him on the college baseball front.  If more than a thousand people came out for a game other than Bedlam, they might be more apt to cover the game.

Maybe I'm losing it but "all four"?

OU, OSU, ORU.....?

Arkansas?

That makes sense. I read it incorrectly and thought you said 4 in state schools. I didn't know if TU used to have a team or not...

Yes, Arkansas is what I meant.  Hoover used to cover all four schools in a weekly capsule since all of the schools were primarily Top 40 schools.

TU did have a baseball team at one time - even went to the College World Series - but closed it down in the early 80's due to financial constraints.  They never had a home to call their own and used to play in the Legion Field at LaFortune Park.

John Klein was a frequent visitor in the press box at JLJ "back in the day", and had a passion for college baseball.  Perhaps his interest has waned over the years.