ORU vs. UT-Arlington tonight!

tmh8286

Last night's effort at "pitching by committee" didn't work out too well, although we ALMOST came back and tied it up late.  I'm assuming tonight being a Tuesday game it will be Mark Serrano on the mound.

I doubt that we'll see Serrano tonight except for maybe spot duty.  He threw too many pitches on Sunday to warrant putting him on the mound for any length of time.  I'd expect to see Jerry Sullivan tonight and probably some of the others that threw yesterday. 

Some of that ptiching yesterday was pretty impressive.  We throw out five guys to the mound that face 3 - 4 batters in an inning and they really weren't threatened.  It wasn't until the sixth inning that things started to blow up on us.  It just goes to show you what bases on balls will do to a game if you don't pitch well.

Agreed, Bogus.  To throw the "staff" at a team the caliber of DBU on the road, and come out with a 5-4 deficit may be an "L" on the record, but provides hope for the future.  I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a similar approach tonight, with Sully working off of two days rest, and another conference series looming this weekend.

...another thing to expect tonight.  Don't be surprised to see Jeff Burleson and Spencer Roberts on the mound in relief against UT-A.  Rob has a history of putting pitchers on the mound the next opportunity he gets after they have had a bad outing.  He won't do it every time, but he'll provide enough rope for a pitcher to hang himself.

ORUBlue82 may recall if differently, but my personal experience with "O.R. Wholestaf" on the mound (as the late, great Jim Brewer called it) was that it was something of a distraction, and for some reason was accompanied a lot of times by lower offensive output for us.

It appeared our batters would take a more cavalier approach to the details, such as not taking pitches, not moving runners over, base running mistakes, etc.  There would be the occasional man reach base, but it seemed like those games were always surprisingly low-scoring struggles.

Perhaps it was because our hitters felt confident that we would have at least one or two effective pitchers on the bump that day to keep the opposition score down, as opposed to us making the most of every offensive opportunity in a back-to-the-wall situation (like an elimination game) for a second-line guy they knew we had to have throw several innings.

Or, maybe just the novelty of the thing was more distracting than playing defense behind one of the regular starters for the first several innings.

I wonder if it might be the fact that "pitching the staff" is typically the result of having played several games over a short period of time, which means you have not only a tired pitching staff, but a tired team all-around.

Whatever the reason, I remember we always had a hard time scoring runs in those multi-pitcher games, and yesterday (current offensive struggles aside) seemed like another case in point:  sporadic base runners all game long, but just didn't/couldn't get them across, while on the other hand the supposed gamble of "pitching by committee" really worked out pretty well...  :|

Good guys up 6-2 in the 6th according to Live Stats....looks like another bullpen game....Walton just called TheEagleman to see if I wanted to come in and pitch the 7th..... :-D

ORU's T.J. Kelly, in to close it out in the ninth, instead gives up three runs, including a 2-out, 2-run homer.

All tied 7-7, headed to the bottom of the ninth...  :|

Translation:  Juan Martinez with a 2-run dong in the bottom of the tenth wins it for the good guys, 9-7.

Never a doubt!  :wink:

Funny thing about the game was, Kelly ALMOST gave it away, but with Martinez' HR, he ends up with the win!! 

Talk about a sinking feeling as the game-tying HR for UTA goes over the fence - Geoff expressed my sentiments exactly!!

As a closer in the bullpen, you are striving for a save and not a win for your record.  The "anti-record" that you avoid with a passion is a blown save - a pitcher that comes into the game with a save opportunity and loses the chance at the save and a win for the predecessor pitcher.  In this case, Kelly gets the blown save and (fortunately) the win - better than a loss, which was a possibility.

Thought I'd recap the last couple of innings, just because they were so exciting!

After the devastating top of the ninth, and a scoreless bottom, TJ managed to hold UTA scoreless in the top of the tenth.  The bottom of ten was really a thing of beauty - a baseball clinic!

Colby Price got a lead-off hit over the head of the second baseman.  The UTA pitcher threw over to first a couple times to hold him close, but you really got the sense in that situation that he wasn't going to risk a steal.  Tyler Garewal was next up, and laid down a perfect slow rolling bunt right down the first base line which was fielded by the pitcher, but his only option was the play at first, and Price moved easily to scoring position at second.

Then Juan Martinez steps up to the plate.  The first pitch was low.  Juan steps away from the plate, adjusts the glove on his right hand, and steps back into the box.  Juan must have been counting the stitches on the next pitch, because you knew it was gone from the moment it left the bat.  Juan touches 'em all - ball game!!  Juan is really on a tear right now, with six hits and three home runs in the past two games.  His batting average is highest on the team, at .323 (after last night).

We didn't NEED Juan's HR to win - just about any hit would have probably done the trick - but it added an exclamation point to what had otherwise been a pretty entertaining game.  Very fun to watch.

Thought I'd recap the last couple of innings, just because they were so exciting!

After the devastating top of the ninth, and a scoreless bottom, TJ managed to hold UTA scoreless in the top of the tenth.  The bottom of ten was really a thing of beauty - a baseball clinic!

Colby Price got a lead-off hit over the head of the second baseman.  The UTA pitcher threw over to first a couple times to hold him close, but you really got the sense in that situation that he wasn't going to risk a steal.  Tyler Garewal was next up, and laid down a perfect slow rolling bunt right down the first base line which was fielded by the pitcher, but his only option was the play at first, and Price moved easily to scoring position at second.

Then Juan Martinez steps up to the plate.  The first pitch was low.  Juan steps away from the plate, adjusts the glove on his right hand, and steps back into the box.  Juan must have been counting the stitches on the next pitch, because you knew it was gone from the moment it left the bat.  Juan touches 'em all - ball game!!  Juan is really on a tear right now, with six hits and three home runs in the past two games.  His batting average is highest on the team, at .323 (after last night).

We didn't NEED Juan's HR to win - just about any hit would have probably done the trick - but it added an exclamation point to what had otherwise been a pretty entertaining game.  Very fun to watch.

A nice treat for those who stayed to see it through - Mr. and Mrs. Bogus must be kicking themselves!  :lol:

We really need a win - and we needed the game to end - and Juan's walk-off homer covered "all the bases".  As the 7th game in six days, the LAST thing we needed was extra innings - but it was all worth it in the end!

A nice treat for those who stayed to see it through - Mr. and Mrs. Bogus must be kicking themselves!  :lol:

yes, but we got to listen to Haxton call the 9th and 10th which is almost as good as being there.  :-D