Next up - Texas!

tmh8286

wohoo, I'm telling you, AAA will come out and put the wheels back on your team regardless of location. Only $4.99/month.

Jameson Dunn balked with a runner on third.  Balked in the run to end the game.

What a way to lose the game. The pressure got to his head. Those are the kind of things we could avoid had we played 6 or 7 more games. Can we put on the stats, "Unearned Loss"

ORU had 2 outs with nobody on in the bottom of the ninth.

Jameson Dunn walks a batter, then that guy gets all the way to 3rd on two wild pitches (but was officially scored with stealing 2nd), and Dunn throws away a pitch on an intentional walk to move the runner to 3rd.

He balked when checking the runner on 1st...my question is, why was he even concerned with the guy on 1st base??  :?

That guy wasn't going to 2nd, just get the pinch batter and lets go hit!

What a depressing way to end the game!

I thought Walton signaled in when to make a move to first.  Guess I was wrong about that.

Reminded me of Seve Ballesteros describing once how he lost a tournament on a four-putt: 

"I miss, I miss, I miss, I make."

We walk, we wild pitch, we balk, we lose.  :|

I wasn't able to listen to the bottom of the ninth, but it sounds (from everyone's comments here on the board) that there was no dispute that it truly was a balk.  I know we've received some home cooking before in Austin, and just wanted to make sure that this was legit.

I wouldn't know a balk if one hit me in the face, but Geoff immediately said, "That's a balk, ball game." 

After bemoaning the fact that we balked in the winning run he went on to explain what happened, and he left no doubt that it was a balk.  He said something about not stepping off the rubber, making a move to first but Notaro wasn't holding the runner on, so Dunn held onto the ball.  That's the best I can tell you.

Why was he pitching from the stretch? If he's going from the windup he never even looks to first.

You know how relievers (or guys in a relief role) are:  some just always like to operate from the stretch - even when they don't need to.

You know how relievers (or guys in a relief role) are:  some just always like to operate from the stretch - even when they don't need to.

TJ Kelly is that way, too...he only pitches from the stretch.

From my recollection of the game, there were runners on first and third (after a WP during the intentional walk).  JD was probably "obsessed" with maintaining the runner at first to ensure a force out situation at second and didn't check the catcher or first baseman to see if there was a "throw over" on.  I'm sure that once he saw that Notarro wasn't holding the runner on, he just ate the ball be instinct, but it would have been heady to throw the ball to Notarro anyway and see if he could get the guy at third to take the bait.  Those things happen so quickly that you just do what you have practiced for ten year or more.

This will go down as another one of the games that got away from us....Notre Dame, UTSA and this game are three that I can think of that we should have won.  I still like our chances in May/June though if these guys won't give up on each other.

No question it was a balk btw.  It was the definition of a balk.  Clear as day.

Runners at the corners and some switch flipped in his mind.  Notaro was playing off the left hip of the baserunner so he was actually hidden from JD. 

He picked so violently he just ate the ball when he saw nobody was home.  Ball Game.

The guys were ok that I talked to afterwards.  They just know they let a big opportunity slip.

TheEagleman is an umpire and when the pitcher goes to make the move to first from stretch position, he must complete the throw or it's a balk....you can step off the rubber and fake the throw....but not once you move the leg towards the first base bag....tough way to lose in the bottom of the 9th....TheEagleman has seen just about everything in 25 yrs of umpiring but not that.... :-P