ORU # 30 in first RPI

ORUTex

Boyd's World typically waits until most teams have played 10 D-1 games to compile an RPI listing, and the first one is now out.  ORU is #30.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

Two of the polls are out, and ORU is not in either.  I'm kind of surprised we're not in Collegiate Baseball - they've usually been pretty good to us, and the first ones to recognize us during a good season.  We're not in the Rivals.com poll either.  I submitted a question to their live chat, and will post if I get a response.

Well, he did reply:

[Comment From Tex]

Kendall, great site and I appreciate all your effort. I agree that Rice had "another good weekend with wins over Washington State and Notre Dame," but what about the team that spoiled their perfect weekend? Oral Roberts is 7-2 with a series win over UT San Antonio and a win over Rice at their place. They also have four very solid pitchers. What do you think they need to do to move into the rankings (or at least the "others considered" column)? 

2:26 Tex -- Take care of Dallas Baptist this week and surprise Cal State Fullerton. A road series win over Cal State Fullerton would be more than enough to be ranked. Not surprisd at all that coach Rob Walton has another very solid team. He's an A+ coach.....

Nice comment about Rob, and he at least knows our schedule.  I think it's a little demanding to say we need to not only "take care of business" against a good DBU team, but also win the series at the #4 team in the country to get ranked.

Here's the poll, with a link to the live chat (going on right now): http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1169&CID=627294

I appreciate him answering you back, but his response is a tad bit patronizing.... take care of DBU and Cal-State Fullerton to get ranked? Is that all?

Incredible. Those ranking committees are so biased. If OSU had beat the same teams as us with the same record they would be #10. These rankings are a joke. They need to give credit where credit is due.

Rivals in particular seems reluctant to move teams around.  Several of his chat responses talk about things that have to happen to move teams (even from their pre-season rankings), rather than reevaluating them now that everyone has played).  If we keep winning, though, the polls will fall into line.  I also think we should fare better this week in the coaches poll, assuming they're paying any attention.

RPI's and records for our opponents so far:

16    Rice (8-4)

48    UTSA (8-4)

70    Washington State (3-8)

74    Notre Dame (5-4)

175  Western Michigan (2-9)

I agree, how is OSU ranked so high already? They lost a lot from last year.

And why is OU ranked at all. After last year, what have they proven this year to get in the polls? RPI isn't too important this early, but they sit at #165 so far.

Kendall Rogers does a weekly College Baseball only show on XM-143 (don't know the Sirius channel) on Rivals Radio Network from 9-10 am live, archived on the internet.  If someone can, I'll try, give him a call or email.  They mostly talk about schools more to the south  and east of us but that is where a lot of their ranked teams live, but some pub never hurts. 

Some entrepreneur-type needs to start pumping out the "Take Care of Business" T-shirts.

Geez, Kendall, no problem - would you like fries with that?

If we "take care of DBU and surprise Fullerton", we shouldn't just be ranked.

We should be in the freaking top 10.  :x

Incredible. Those ranking committees are so biased. If OSU had beat the same teams as us with the same record they would be #10. These rankings are a joke. They need to give credit where credit is due.

You've found one of the flaws in the RPI. Who decides where a team starts at the beginning of the season?

Kendall used to work for a website called Rosenblatt Report, which was a Big 12-heavy site before it was bought by Rivals, so he's obviously partial to those schools.

While I agree sweeping DBU and winning a series at CSF is a bit much to do just to get ranked, that stuff will take care of itself. Just keep on winning, and people will take notice.

Kendall used to work for a website called Rosenblatt Report, which was a Big 12-heavy site before it was bought by Rivals, so he's obviously partial to those schools.

While I agree sweeping DBU and winning a series at CSF is a bit much to do just to get ranked, that stuff will take care of itself. Just keep on winning, and people will take notice.

That post was definitely worthy of a cheer, ORUBB.

Just win and the rest will take care of itself.

Dallas Baptist at 202 in the RPI....Let's go down there Thursday and kick some Baptist A$$.... :-D :-D :-D.....and that's coming from TheEagleman who was born and raised Baptist..... :wink:

The expectations by the pollsters/'experts' for a mid-major like ORU seem a little unbalanced versus what a 'power conference' school is allowed. But like BB said - just keep winning and it will take care of itself.

The expectations by the pollsters/'experts' for a mid-major like ORU seem a little unbalanced versus what a 'power conference' school is allowed. But like BB said - just keep winning and it will take care of itself.

Exactly...if we're 10-2 after this weekend and 12-3 or 13-2 after Spring Break, we'll see a lot more votes.  When we start breaking into the polls, it will be hard to get us out of them.

Exactly...if we're 10-2 after this weekend and 12-3 or 13-2 after Spring Break, we'll see a lot more votes.  When we start breaking into the polls, it will be hard to get us out of them.

I think that pollsters know that our conference schedule is incredibly weak - and therefore want to be assured that we are a truly strong team (with an exemplary OOC record after 15-20 games, not just 9) before they'll place us in the poll.  Once April comes, we won't lose much after that, and it would be hard to drop us out of the rankings.  It may be an unfair bias, but then again, being ranked early in the season is over-rated anyway!

The thing that bothers me about this poll is that, in the past week, most of the Top 25 got free passes in his mind; whether they got fat playing pasty-skinned Northern schools (Arizona State-Holy Cross?  Pepperdine-Evansville?  Florida-Duquesne?  Arkansas-Valpo?), or even if they just plain laid an egg (LSU, UC-Irvine, Florida State, etc. among those with sub .500 records last week - at home).

Meanwhile, a team like ORU is told to hop on one leg and bark like a dog while going 5-0 next week, just to get noticed.

Nice double standard.  Either recognize achievement - and penalize mediocrity - or simply admit that your so-called "poll" is nothing more than a private beauty pageant for so-called "traditional" schools that ORU is not allowed to crash.

Meanwhile, a team like ORU is told to hop on one leg and bark like a dog while going 5-0 next week, just to get noticed.

lol, so true.

After Rob's run with Team USA and ORU's 11 consecutive NCAA appearances you would think we wouldn't have to prove a thing.

There is either a lot of ignorance going on in these polls, or a committee made up of angry liberal secularists.