UTSA - Sunday

Bogus Smith

Game starts tough...UTSA starts with a three spot in the top of the first with a walk, triple, passed ball and HR.  Elder runs into the wall in RF and will probably be out several weeks.

Garewal walks and Furmanek HR (his 3rd).  End of 1st...3-2.

Yes, very cold and windy !!

We're still trailing 6-2 now.  We're able to hit them, but they are hitting Jameson more.  Changed pitchers in 4th and stopped the bleeding.  Bottom of the 4th, still 6-2.

Are you at the game, Bogus?  I'm home, listening to the UTSA announcer.  PLEASE call me a wimp - I deserve it!

Do you have any idea of the nature of Elder's injury?

Going into the top of the fifth, score still 6-3, Roadrunners.  ORU left two runners on in scoring position in the bottom of the fourth.

First batter for UTSA in the top of the fifth doubles.

Are you at the game, Bogus?  I'm home, listening to the UTSA announcer.  PLEASE call me a wimp - I deserve it!

Do you have any idea of the nature of Elder's injury?

I feel the same way!

Top of the fifth, no outs, runner on second, 7-3, ORU brings in Mark Serrano in to pitch.

I don't think anyone is reading this - if anyone wants, I'll continue, otherwise I'll stop at this point.

I'd like to get Bogus' opinion, but from listening it sounds like UTSA is really exploiting the inexperience of our catcher, and possibly our pitching staff.

Finally gave up from freezing my fingers off and came home with the score at 10-3.  There are about 5 - 10 games in a season that you're just not going to win regardless of the circumstances and this was one of those games.

The pitching struggled all day and, once Elder hit the wall and came out of the game, there just seemed to be a lack of "pizzaz" to the team - even with Seth's third HR of the season.  Jameson started and he was not "on".  He was leaving his pitches up and UTSA was capitalizing on it.  Spencer Roberts did a respectable job, but still gave up a run which is not what we needed.  Serrano was also having difficulty getting his pitches to go to the correct spot and UTSA (which is a good team) took advantage of our errors.

We are 5-1 to start off the season and that's a great start to any season!!  We play Notre Dame and Washington State next weekend before we get Rice, which means we'll probably get Rice's #3 pitcher or a "pitcher by committee" arrangement.  Hopefully we'll settle on a #3 pitcher during the Rice Tournament as well.  The worse that we end up next weekend is 5-4 and probably go to 7-2 going into the Dallas Baptist series in Dallas.

In the bottom of the eighth the Eagles regained a little life, scored a run; the Roadrunners brought in their closer, who immediately loaded the bases with a walk, but the next batter grounded out, and got UTSA out of the inning with three left on base.

Score 10-4

Yes, the score is now 10-4 with 1 out in the top of the 9th.  If we left three on base in the bottom of the 8th, that just adds to the number of runners left throughout the game.  I remember at least two innings where we left two runners in scoring position in each of those innings.  That doesn't bode well for getting more runs plated against a talented team that will probably make it to the NCAA regionals this spring.