5 cool things i saw today

ORUIsbig

Oral sat with Ken Trickey on the front row of Section E.  A lot of people made their way to the railing and shook hands with them.

Anyone have any pictures or videos of all this?

Once in a lifetime event for ORU folks!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• Mike Minyard

• Bogus Smith

• oruvoice

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, I heard about Moses Ehambe proposal at halftime.

Saw it on Facebook.

Fun game to be a part of!!!

Yeah, the Jim Belushi guy is Tom O'Neill, Jr.  He has done a total of six - count them, six - NCAA games in his career; two of them at ORU (he did the HOF game with SUU in January).  The other games have either been IUPUI (3 in Indianapolis) or IPFW (at Ft. Wayne). 

In both ORU games he called in excess of 40 fouls.  In the three IUPUI games in Indianapolis, he called no more than 26 fouls.  Do you think that the pace of play and depth perception causes this official a little problem??  At least Wegenke and Spencer have 200 and 343 games, respectively between them at this level. 

I hate having to train new officials at this level!!

A little more background on these fellows:  Tom O'Neill Jr. did indeed officiate in the SUU game a couple weeks ago.  I thought THAT night that he was incompetent, and he gave me nothing to think he'd improved since then last night.

Bart Wegenke - we saw his brother, Brett, in the game against Western on Thursday night.  He does a ton of Summit League games.  Actually, the Wegenke brothers ref quite a few games together around the league, although I don't remember ever seeing them at Mabee together.  I could check, but don't want to.

Frank Spencer - or should I say, the infamous Frank Spencer - he's officiated a ton of ORU games going way back - he officiated a bunch of games during the conference tournaments - I think he was here ever year.  He officiated the championship game in 2006.  Have never liked his officiating.

BUT - here's the best part - Spencer and Bart Wegenke were two of the crew that officiated the infamous baseline flop at Oakland a couple years back.  I'm going from memory, but I'm pretty sure that it was Bart Wegenke that called the flop. 

So it was a stellar group we had at Mabee last night :roll: . . .

Anyone have any pictures or videos of all this?

Once in a lifetime event for ORU folks!

I tried to get a pic with my phone (no camera) during the President's Dinner, when Oral and Trickey were sitting together visiting, but it said the memory was full, even after I tried deleting a few pics.  Don't know why - and the opportunity passed, so I didn't continue.  There were a lot of people with cameras snapping pictures of everything, including Trickey with Oral, so hopefully some of those will be made public somewhere, so we can all savor that moment.  It certainly was magical to me, and I pointed it out to all that I could.

BUT - here's the best part - Spencer and Bart Wegenke were two of the crew that officiated the infamous baseline flop at Oakland a couple years back.  I'm going from memory, but I'm pretty sure that it was Bart Wegenke that called the flop. 

So it was a stellar group we had at Mabee last night :roll: . . .

Great memory, TMH.  It was the dynamic duo, along with Dan Nowakowski, that flopped their way into Golden Eagles' hearts on that ill-fated night in Rochester, MI in 2007.  You would think that experience would make a person better in their vocation, but I guess that isn't always the case (just look at our Democratic Congress).  :-D

In both ORU games he called in excess of 40 fouls.  In the three IUPUI games in Indianapolis, he called no more than 26 fouls.

I think that "number of fouls" stat is the total number called in the game for both teams, by all three officials. 

Think about it:  if each guy called between 25-40 fouls a game (not just violations, but fouls), we would have 75-120 fouls a game total, which would effectively foul out the entire rosters of both teams, plus a couple of managers and the team mascots.

What that stat does show, if it's high, is that the guy is prone to fall in love with his whistle, especially if he's calling the game along with someone he's trying to "one-up" each time down the floor.

Spencer is one of the worst - he seems like he makes calls not just trying to show the players and coaches who's boss, but the other two refs as well.

That's what he did last year in that game where Scott got the "T" from Malham - those two guys seemed intent on "showing each other up" all night.

From StatSheet.com:

Disclaimer about Referee Stats

Referees are a much maligned group. Part of the problem is they have a very subjective job. It isn't made any better by the fact that good hard stats aren't collected about referee performance. A standard boxscore lists only the three officials that called the game. While referees have a direct impact on game flow, called turnovers, deadballs, jumpballs, etc. the only thing in the boxscore we can directly attribute to a ref are fouls (and ejections).

At StatSheet.com you can find information about the number of games refs have called and how many personal fouls, technical fouls, and ejections they are responsible for. If you think a group of refs called a game particularly close, you can see if that matches their average fouls per game over the season. However, there are some caveats to be aware of:

Boxscores list three officials per game. I have no way of associating specific foul calls to specific refs. As a result, I associate the number of fouls called in a game with each ref. It is entirely possible that one ref out of the three was particularly bad, which won't be accounted for. However, many refs officiate numerous games so their average over a large number of games should be fairly representative.

Since I only have the first and last name of each ref that called a game, it is possible that two refs with the same will be treated as one person on StatSheet.com. If this becomes a problem over time, I'll come up with an algorithm to distinguish two refs with the same name.

A bigger problem is the fact that referee names are horribly inconsistent in boxscores. Just browse a few and you'll see what I mean. I'll need to fix this on my end some way (probably manually), but until then expect anomalies in the data.

There are two morals to this story:

1.  Always read the fine print, and

2.  Referees are guilty by association

:-D  :-D  :-D

Amen, bro.

Was President Roberts at the game?....if so, bring him back for NDSU!... :-D

By far the loudest I have heard the Mabee Center this season was when Oral was announced at the game and the ovation was well deserved.  If the fans would just cheer half that loud for the team, it would really have an impact.

OR in town,playing the old fight song(make it permanent!) nice win wish id been at home coming this year

Adding to the 5 cool things list -

I thought seeing Sterns and co. do the Titans cheer and then the maniacs replicating it was pretty cool.

I loved it too.  I think I was by myself in Section C doing it along with them.

Thought it was really neat to see former IUPUI George Hill (off from the S.A. Spurs during the NBA all-star break) at game and on their bench Saturday night. Shows his appreciation for Ron Hunter who really is a class act. Saw him and Moses greet each other and chat prior to start of game Maybe George was helping Moses on his "Will you marry me speech.

I thought seeing Sterns and co. do the Titans cheer and then the maniacs replicating it was pretty cool.

The "Titan Train" cheer was cool, and done at an appropriate point in the game (during a time-out).

In contrast, "The Wave" was stupid, and was done at a terrible time:  during two important free throws by Dominique Morrison, one of which the normally sure-handed freshman missed.

Didn't "The Wave" go out with rainbow-afro wigs and "Another One Bites The Dust"?

Act like we've had a capacity crowd before, people...  :wink:

Timing or not stopping the wave during the free throws was not smart, but I personally LOVE the wave.

Although, I know for a 40-something guy, with a few extra lbs. on his frame, getting up & down out of your seat several times in a short span, could be a bit of a problem! :-o:lol:

Timing or not stopping the wave during the free throws was not smart, but I personally LOVE the wave.

Although, I know for a 40-something guy, with a few extra lbs. on his frame, getting up & down out of your seat several times in a short span, could be a bit of a problem! :-o:lol:

Yeah, but I never saw you get up!

True, but you can ask McCutchen about my confrontation with the IUPUI trainer druing the game.

We were mere moments away from fistacuffs at the scorer's table! That would have been a memorable Mabee Center moment!