#1!

Goldeneagles09

This the time that someone should call the Animal to talk about this play. They're giving away tickets and just finished talking really well about our Golden Eagles.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Cornelius

• bballmangc

• tmh8286

• Goldeneagles09

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job OT!!

If you go to YouTube you can click "watch in high quality."

what is it found under on youtube.  I couldn't find that one by just doing a search

You can just double click the video on the board and it will take you to YouTube.

My question is who at ESPN looks for the top 10 plays?  I guess what I'm asking is there someone who is maybe a fan of ORU or Coach Sutton that keeps looking out for plays that we make that are top 10 caliber?  I understand that these dunks by Ford have been fun to watch, but three in the last two weeks.  It just seems that maybe someone at ESPN is looking out for us.  I don't know.  I do think this brings HUGE exposure to the program.  We have some athletes!

I don't see Missouri Valley or C-USA teams EVER EVER making Top Ten plays outside of March or an end of game buzzer beater. I'm not saying we're better than they are but we are certainly getting a lot more airtime. Something a recruit would have to think about.

Ever?  I think if you watched the top ten every day you would see Missouri Valley and C-USA teams on there.  They all have good athletes.  I know I have seen plays from both conferences for highlights in the top plays that weren't just buzzer beaters or during the tournament. 

My question is who at ESPN looks for the top 10 plays?  I guess what I'm asking is there someone who is maybe a fan of ORU or Coach Sutton that keeps looking out for plays that we make that are top 10 caliber?  I understand that these dunks by Ford have been fun to watch, but three in the last two weeks.  It just seems that maybe someone at ESPN is looking out for us.  I don't know.  I do think this brings HUGE exposure to the program.  We have some athletes!

Actually my ORU roommate now works at ESPN in Bristol.  They have someone watching every game for highlights and big plays.  They put together little summaries and clips for Sports Center.  If someone catches a big play it’s sent to their superior who then get’s it onto Sports Center.  I called him today, he did not cover the ORU game but was pleasantly surprised to see it make the number one play.  He was told that there was one other ORU guy at ESPN but he hasn’t met him yet.  I think our recent success has more to do with Ford's big plays than anything else.  Athletic guys like him and Larry Owens are fun to watch.

Actually my ORU roommate now works at ESPN in Bristol.  They have someone watching every game for highlights and big plays.  They put together little summaries and clips for Sports Center.  If someone catches a big play it’s sent to their superior who then get’s it onto Sports Center.  I called him today, he did not cover the ORU game but was pleasantly surprised to see it make the number one play.  He was told that there was one other ORU guy at ESPN but he hasn’t met him yet.  I think our recent success has more to do with Ford's big plays than anything else.  Athletic guys like him and Larry Owens are fun to watch.

I said this on another thread, but I think what may have separated Kevin's dunk from all the rest was the Metro Sports color guy saying "Wow, that's a Top Ten play" right after the dunk.  They segued right from that to the girl at the desk saying, "Lucky for him, we agree."

Now, if we can just get our guys to dunk, look into the camera, and scream, "SPORTSCENTER IS COMING UP NEXT!!" we're a lock for coverage every time we play.

Ever?  I think if you watched the top ten every day you would see Missouri Valley and C-USA teams on there.  They all have good athletes.  I know I have seen plays from both conferences for highlights in the top plays that weren't just buzzer beaters or during the tournament. 

"Ever" might have been a bit much but I hardly ever see UAB or Illinois State highlights pop up. For instance the recent SMU/Marshall game ended on a 75 foot buzzer beater... no Top Ten appearance. It certainly warranted one.

I think it's all about what Bristol is able aggregate, digest, and then chop up into bite sized pieces.

I am shocked that the 75 foot shot did not make Sportscenter.... Doc is right - something else is at work. And it appears that our broadcast package has something to do with our higher profile. That and Kevin Ford's dunking ability. Could it also be that they are now 'looking' for him since he has been on multiple times?

Sometimes also the top ten is edited throughout the night from episode to episode.  There have been times I've seen a play be at #8, then the next hour not shown at all.  (Obviously I watch too much sportscenter!) I think it mainly depends on the night and what other plays happened too.  The 75 foot shot must have been on a night when (In their opinion) was not one of the top 10...(hard to believe...)

All that to say I don't think ORU is getting any out of the ordinary treatment as far as putting top plays in over others...

I am shocked that the 75 foot shot did not make Sportscenter.... Doc is right - something else is at work. And it appears that our broadcast package has something to do with our higher profile. That and Kevin Ford's dunking ability. Could it also be that they are now 'looking' for him since he has been on multiple times?

I think it is all about the broadcast package (and Ford's thunder dunks).  If ESPN doesn't have easy access to high quality footage that will look good on Sportscenter, it's not going to make it.  Just another reason for big kudos to Mike for working that out!

Getting on SC also has something to do with the fact that most power conferences play a Monday - Wednesday - Saturday schedule and there aren't as many Thursday basketball games to compete against (somewhat like the same argument about the Thursday referee pool). 

I would think that it is tougher for us to get in the Top Ten on a Saturday schedule when almost EVERY D-1 team is playing.  Regardless, last night's dunk (which was great to see live, by the way) would have made the Top Ten on any night.

Getting on SC also has something to do with the fact that most power conferences play a Monday - Wednesday - Saturday schedule and there aren't as many Thursday basketball games to compete against (somewhat like the same argument about the Thursday referee pool). 

I would think that it is tougher for us to get in the Top Ten on a Saturday schedule when almost EVERY D-1 team is playing.  Regardless, last night's dunk (which was great to see live, by the way) would have made the Top Ten on any night.

Amen, bro.

However he got on there, he looked great, and has done ORU proud! While on Youtube, I saw the 2007-2008 pregame video.  Is the same one used this year, or is there a new one for 2008-9 shown on the new scoreboard?