Who would you like to see added to the Hall of Fame?

orumom

ORU Hall of Fame

ORIGINAL MEMBERS

Dave Barr, Golf, 1970-73

Madeline Manning-Mims, Track, 1979-81

Alvin Scott, Basketball, 1973-77

George Bjorkman, Baseball, 1976-78

Ron Meridith, Baseball, 1976-78

Bill Springman, Baseball, 1976-78

Greg Davis, Baseball and Basketball, 1969-73

Rhonda Penquite, Women's Basketball, 1977-78

Bob Volk, Baseball, 1976-78

Richard Fuqua, Basketball, 1969-73

Anthony Roberts, Basketball, 1973-77

Peter Van Lingen, Tennis, 1967-71

Haywood Hill, Basketball, 1969-71

Pekka Saila, Tennis, 1968-70

Mike Hairston, Cross Country, 1978-81

2002 INDUCTEES

Mike Moore, Baseball, 1979-81

Vivian Herron, Women's Basketball, 1985-89

Bill Glasson, Golf, 1978-82

2003 INDUCTEES

Mark Acres, Men's Basketball, 1981-85

Haywoode Workman, Men's Basketball, 1986-89

Sheera Sirola, Volleyball, 1994-95

2004 INDUCTEES

Kisa Bradley, Women's Basketball, 1995-97

Todd Burns, Baseball, 1982-84

QUALIFICATIONS

Candidates for induction into the ORU Athletic Hall of Fame must meet three of the following qualifications: 1) graduated from ORU; 2) graduated or left the school at least five years prior to nomination; 3) obtained national recognition as a leading competitor in his/her sport while attending ORU; 4) obtained national recognition on a professional or amateur level after leaving ORU; 5) contributed signicantly to the outreach of ORU either before or after leaving the school

Guest EagleBackr

...not quite sure why your list cut off at 2004. Here are the rest:

2005 Inductees

Arnold Dugger, Men's Basketball

Joe Rassett, Men's Golf

Keith Lockhart, Baseball

Juliana Moser, Volleyball

2006 Inductees

Jim Kane, Men's Golf

Bryan Norton, Men's Golf

Tom Nieto, Baseball

Krista Ragan, Women's Basketball

how about keith miller a hustling infielder/outfielder for the mets and royals and the finnish guys who led oru cross country to a national ranking in 1982

Guest Rob Marshall

Steve Bontrager, Greg Sutton, and Tim Gill as well as three former head coaches including Ken Trickey, Larry Cochell, and Bill Self.

I hadn't actually thought about coaches, but after reading the requirements, RM I would agree. We just need to campaign for who we would like to see be in the Hall of Fame!

Guest Rob Marshall

Trickey and Cochell are both "retired" and would be available for a regular season basketball game half-time introduction but obviously Coach Self would most likely have a conflict for an unforeseen number of years to come.

Guest Rob Marshall

Add "Broggy" to the list of coaches; bad oversight on my part (I tend to think of him as "TU's golf coach" but he's the guy who put together and lead the boys who ALMOST won the men's golf national championships). All the players are in, why not their coach too? 8)

Steve Bontrager, Greg Sutton, and Tim Gill as well as three former head coaches including Ken Trickey, Larry Cochell, and Bill Self.

I wonder if Trickey and RR have ever buried the hatchet?

One of the more interesting things I've ever heard on 1430 was a number of years ago, when they had a program on - been too long ago for my feeble brain to remember the name of the show or the host - that was something like "Local Legends of Sports". That wasn't the title, but you get the drift. Anyway, for two or three weeks they featured the career of Ken Trickey. They interviewed him, and he talked about his time at ORU, particular games and players, the opening of Mabee Center, and all kinds of good stuff. I was amazed at how interesting it all was.

I've often thought that I'd love to have a copy of that to listen to again. I don't know it there was a recording of that show, but if so, it would be a pleasure for all true ORU basketball fans to hear. Wish we could find out if that recording was still around.

As I've been thinking about it, the host MAY have been Barry Trammell . . .

Guest Rob Marshall

I wonder if Trickey and RR have ever buried the hatchet?

One of the more interesting things I've ever heard on 1430 was a number of years ago, when they had a program on - been too long ago for my feeble brain to remember the name of the show or the host - that was something like "Local Legends of Sports". That wasn't the title, but you get the drift. Anyway, for two or three weeks they featured the career of Ken Trickey. They interviewed him, and he talked about his time at ORU, particular games and players, the opening of Mabee Center, and all kinds of good stuff. I was amazed at how interesting it all was.

I've often thought that I'd love to have a copy of that to listen to again. I don't know it there was a recording of that show, but if so, it would be a pleasure for all true ORU basketball fans to hear. Wish we could find out if that recording was still around.

As I've been thinking about it, the host MAY have been Barry Trammell . . .

It was Wayne McCombs on Sports Radio AM 1430 back in the 1990's. Wayne's a big TU guy but probably has a tape of those shows Tim. I'll ask him at the TU/Memphis game for you (remind me though because that's ten days from now!). :wink:

One of the interesting stories he told was about the opening of Mabee Center. OR had gone after Notre Dame for the opening game there, and had a handshake agreement with the pres. of the school and Digger Phelps to play. According to Trickey, he told OR, "They'll never follow through with this," and they didn't. Some time later they received a phone call canceling the deal.

Instead, the first game was played on December 4, 1972 in a 90-76 win over Wisconsin.

For a long time I've thought it would be very interesting to have a book highlighting the history of ORU basketball, particularly the glory years of the 70's. Probably wouldn't be a bestseller . . .

It was Wayne McCombs on Sports Radio AM 1430 back in the 1990's. Wayne's a big TU guy but probably has a tape of those shows Tim. I'll ask him at the TU/Memphis game for you (remind me though because that's ten days from now!). :wink:

That's right - Wayne McCombs!! That was a great show. I looked forward to it every week.

I would LOVE for you to see if you could get a copy of that. Like I say, it really deserves circulation among ORU fans. It truly highlighted some of ORU's best years.

I personally would not vote for Bill Self. Am I crazy or are there others who agree?

Rob

Guest EagleBackr
I personally would not vote for Bill Self. Am I crazy or are there others who agree?

Rob

...I would have to say all seven names listed by RM have varying degrees of baggage that may prevent them from getting in anytime in the near future: Bontrager and Trickey for ticking off the brass on "The Hill", Gill for trying to transfer his senior year, Sutton for affiliation with Trickey and the NAIA years, Self and Brogden for abandoning ship and going over to TU, and Cochell for recent comments that cost him his job. But every one of them is deserving - Gill has the best chance of them all to get in first...

Guest Rob Marshall

...I would have to say all seven names listed by RM have varying degrees of baggage that may prevent them from getting in anytime in the near future: Bontrager and Trickey for ticking off the brass on "The Hill", Gill for trying to transfer his senior year, Sutton for affiliation with Trickey and the NAIA years, Self and Brogden for abandoning ship and going over to TU, and Cochell for recent comments that cost him his job. But every one of them is deserving - Gill has the best chance of them all to get in first...

Guess I have a bigger than average valentine for the "prodigals" of the world with perceived "baggage problems" ... something about walking a mile in another man's moccasins who lives in a glass house with a little twig in his eye.

ORU is a Christian university ... Christian is defined as "follower of Christ; one who believes in Jesus" ... so as the fad braclets screamed once upon a time ... WWJD?

A good coach but I don't think he should be in the ORU Hall of Fame. He wasn't even at ORU long before he split for TU...

I'm pretty sure that it's in the fine print somewhere that you can't be in the ORU Hall if you punted ORU for TU!

C'mon Rob, just because you've been in the locker room at halftime with him, and he's your boy, doesn't make him HOF material.

Bill has about as much business in the Hall as Barry Hinson.

I was under the impression that "Bill" did what he did for Bill, not for ORU. BTW, Was he a true follower of Christ? Not being sarcastic, I'm just asking.

Rob C.

For whatever it's worth, while Bill Self was at ORU I went with a friend of mine to a men's prayer breakfast at his church where Bill was the guest speaker. He gave a very uplifting testimony in which he stated that while at ORU he had rededicated his heart to the Lord.

While I've often wondered if he's continued to live the Christian lifestyle, I can vouch for the fact that at one point he was.

Guest Rob Marshall
I was under the impression that "Bill" did what he did for Bill, not for ORU. BTW, Was he a true follower of Christ? Not being sarcastic, I'm just asking.

Rob C.

Let me answer you as directly as possible. Bill Self is a Christian. While man looks at the outward (with anticipation of an opportunity to judge), God looks at the heart (out of His great love). It's not what we do (or don't do) that makes us righteous, thank God He is a merciful God and full of AMAZING GRACE (that we ALL need).

How about thinking about the following rather than wondering whether Bill Self, Barry Hinson, Scott Sutton, Mike Carter, Richard Roberts, ORUTerry, EagleBackr, orumom, Rob Marshall and whoever else are "true followers of Christ" ...

I Corinthians 13:1-2 ... "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become as sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I AM NOTHING."