Over rated huh!

ORUBlue

As I remember Watching the Valpo vs ORU game and hearding the Valpo student section chant over rated...................well back at you Valpo.

No excuses. We got our butts kicked. But here are some facts to consider:

1. No Kone

2. No Huff

3. No Miles

Where would your team be if Green, Tutt, and Owens were injured or otherwise unable to play? Let's face the facts. Without certain players on a team that otherwise would start or make a huge contribution, a particular team is not the same team.

The team we had on the floor last night played lousy and there are no excuses. And if we had the same team on the floor when you guys came to Valpo, you would have beaten us by 20. Heck, just take Caleb out for a few games and see if that doesn't change the whole ball game. These facts have to be taken into consideration and are valid reasons(not excuses) for why a team lost a game.

Guest Rob Marshall

Rick,

So you're saying Oppland isn't one of your TOP THREE players? Apparently not, since you suggested we sit out Green, Owens, and Tutt clearly ORU's top three scoring threats. IF Kone, Huff, and Miles are your top three scorers then your point holds water otherwise you're guilty of the proverbial loser's limp!

Everyone has key injuries (Tutt for ORU, DJ White for the Hoosiers, Dora at Texas Tech in December, etc.) that may eliminate a key players from a team for a period of time. You do your best without them and some do better than others. ORU is 2-1 w.o Tutt, IU is 1-1 w.o White, Tech was 1-2 w.o Dora ... stuff happens, and good teams overcome that type of thing, especially if they are lead by a Mid Con POY candidate like Danny Oppland.

Rick,

So you're saying Oppland isn't one of your TOP THREE players? Apparently not, since you suggested we sit out Green, Owens, and Tutt clearly ORU's top three scoring threats. IF Kone, Huff, and Miles are your top three scorers then your point holds water otherwise you're guilty of the proverbial loser's limp!

Everyone has key injuries (Tutt for ORU, DJ White for the Hoosiers, Dora at Texas Tech in December, etc.) that may eliminate a key players from a team for a period of time. You do your best without them and some do better than others. ORU is 2-1 w.o Tutt, IU is 1-1 w.o White, Tech was 1-2 w.o Dora ... stuff happens, and good teams overcome that type of thing, especially if they are lead by a Mid Con POY candidate like Danny Oppland.

Fair enough. Not a valid comparison to your best three. But to think that our team would be near the top in the conference without those three players is not realistic. Good teams can only rise to the level of their own competence and talent. You take out a few very important players and you just can't play as well -EVER- as you would have otherwise. I don't buy this "good teams can overcome that type of thing"...blah,blah,blah.

Just take two guys, Green and Tutt out of your lineup and tell me you should be able to overcome that type of thing because the rest of the players are part of a "good" team. Not anymore. They are no longer a "good" team without those guys. A "fair" team, but not a "good" team.

I think it's safe to say that, at this point in the season, ANY injury or ineligible player is a loss. We've all talked quite a bit about being without Maloy, who has played limited minutes and made little impact so far this season. But he provides valuable minutes that allow other players a break, which makes his ability to play important.

Regardless of whether or not they are your impact players, having three on the bench and unable to play is a serious problem for most teams.

Rob,

The whole valpo family only thought we were missing our second leading scorer (Tutt). They had no idea that we were also missing our top 6th man and great defender (Riouse) as well as our off the bench spark (Meloy). They didn't take into account that we were coming off a (how does P-Rob say it) "frickin" arduous road trip, and only had 24 hrs to prepare to play without KT. Let's choose to let them think that we are "OVERRATED", and that a healthy Valpo squad is really 20 pts better than a healthy ORU squad. If the pieces keep falling into place like they are now, their eyes will be opened to the truth when they visit the Mabee.

Fair enough. Not a valid comparison to your best three. But to think that our team would be near the top in the conference without those three players is not realistic. Good teams can only rise to the level of their own competence and talent. You take out a few very important players and you just can't play as well -EVER- as you would have otherwise. I don't buy this "good teams can overcome that type of thing"...blah,blah,blah.

Just take two guys, Green and Tutt out of your lineup and tell me you should be able to overcome that type of thing because the rest of the players are part of a "good" team. Not anymore. They are no longer a "good" team without those guys. A "fair" team, but not a "good" team.

Against Chicago State YES

Guest EagleBackr

...Valpo losing Miles, Huff and Kone for a game is the equivalent of ORU losing Tutt, Riouse and Michalec (couple of 3-point-shooting guards, one not a starter, and the defensive stopper in the middle). Both teams still have their power forward studs (Oppland and Green). The difference down the stretch in dealing with these injuries, suspensions and such may be Larry Owens - I don't know if ANYONE in the conference has a player like L.O. who can play ALL FIVE POSITIONS if needed. The guy is simply a FREAK...

As I remember Watching the Valpo vs ORU game and hearding the Valpo student section chant over rated...................well back at you Valpo.

touche

all I ask is that someone else play Chic. state in the opening round of the mid-con and put them back on a plane. They make me nervous...and their midget-y point guard (5'5"!) might as well have played blindfolded. His "shots" found the mark somehow...didn't matter if he had 2 hands in his face and the body of a certain #42 threatening to step on him. UGH.

And missing Huff/Jimmie/Kone hurts too.

How is Tutt doing? any "will be back in time to play ____" rumors?

It's funny how on some nights players can just get in a 'zone' where anything they shoot goes in the basket. We saw Michael Watson do that in the Mabee Center several times.

Tutt is progressing better than expected according to Coach Sutton and someone else I spoke to. He might be back in four weeks or so. That is good news, but I don't want him to hurry too fast and not fully recuperate or re-injure his foot.

How is Tutt doing? any "will be back in time to play ____" rumors?

Scotty says he could be back the last week of the regular season. That's the last 3 or 4 games before Mid-Con. Plenty of time to shake off the rust and get back to his old form.

Guest Rob Marshall
Larry Owens - I don't know if ANYONE in the conference has a player like L.O. who can play ALL FIVE POSITIONS if needed. The guy is simply a FREAK...

Wait a second ... those words sound all too familiar ... I sent a friend of mine (Steve Bontrager) a text message recently describing "LO" as a "freak" (in a good athletic sort of way) ... EB, either you "intercepted" my text message OR you talked to Stevo and he fed you those words OR you and I both refer to Owens as "LO" and as being a "freak" ... that's a little too ironic, hmmmmm ...

I'll be the first to say it. I was wrong. I really didn't believe Valpo would get stunned by a lowly Mid-Con bottom dweller.....BUT THE CRUSADERS SIMPLY BLEW IT!!

There are no excuses. Valpo is a good team without Kone, Huff and Miles. They had Oppland, Colclasure, Howard and Lloyd who have won games for them before. They had a good bench in Igbavboa, McPherson, Diebler...etc. No excuses the Crusaders simply LOST!!!

Oh yeah....I said this on the Valpo board....Lawrence North AND North Central, two Indy high school teams that played on ESPN2 that night could have beaten both Valpo (University) and Chicago State that night.

I'll be the first to say it. I was wrong. I really didn't believe Valpo would get stunned by a lowly Mid-Con bottom dweller.....BUT THE CRUSADERS SIMPLY BLEW IT!!

There are no excuses. Valpo is a good team without Kone, Huff and Miles. They had Oppland, Colclasure, Howard and Lloyd who have won games for them before. They had a good bench in Igbavboa, McPherson, Diebler...etc. No excuses the Crusaders simply LOST!!!

Valpo's team without Kone was the same Valpo team that for the first time in over a decade had a losing season. One person can and does make a big difference. We are NOT the same team and not nearly as good without Kone, period! When you rely on Ali for leadership in the pinch or when you are behind, bad things happen. The whole ball of wax gets discombobulated. Without Kone, we are a 4th place team in the Mid-Con. No good, athletic big man=no win for Valpo.

Confucious say: Mind like parachute, only function when open.

ValpoRick say: Open mind too far, brains fall out.

Well i don't think i know the dynamics of your team well enough to know if you guys will be ok without him, but i do hope for your sake, the sake of our reputation, and for the sake of a competitive Mid-Con, that he does come back.

Your sake: Your guys have worked hard and shouldn't see their hard work faltered by the mistake of whoever the guilty party would be if there was a violation.

Our Sake: I don't want to hear you guys crying for years to come about how you where robbed by the NCAA in 2006, and that if Kone had been allowed to play you would have won the Mid Con. I want him and the rest of your team healed up and ready to go by the time you guys come to the Mabee so we can really get an accurate read of how the teams match up.

Mid-Con's Sake: A competitive conference feeds rivalries, produces stronger teams in post season play, and helps with recruiting and the overall grogress of all the programs involved. If Kone makes you guys more competitive, then I want to see him on the floor.

Well i don't think i know the dynamics of your team well enough to know if you guys will be ok without him, but i do hope for your sake, the sake of our reputation, and for the sake of a competitive Mid-Con, that he does come back.

Your sake: Your guys have worked hard and shouldn't see their hard work faltered by the mistake of whoever the guilty party would be if there was a violation.

Our Sake: I don't want to hear you guys crying for years to come about how you where robbed by the NCAA in 2006, and that if Kone had been allowed to play you would have won the Mid Con. I want him and the rest of your team healed up and ready to go by the time you guys come to the Mabee so we can really get an accurate read of how the teams match up.

Mid-Con's Sake: A competitive conference feeds rivalries, produces stronger teams in post season play, and helps with recruiting and the overall grogress of all the programs involved. If Kone makes you guys more competitive, then I want to see him on the floor.

Extremely well put.