Re: Help Break a 25 Year Old School Record on Monday at Noon

Mike Minyard

Fans,

Help break a school record that has stood for nearly 25 years by going to the Mabee Center on Monday at noon!

ORU is attempting to break its school record for attendance at a single women's basketball home game.  The current record of 5,151 was set back on December 10, 1983 against the University of Arkansas.

ORU women's basketball is playing against Central Arkansas on Monday, November 24, at noon.  Over 3,000 kids from local schools will be taking a field trip to the campus of ORU to participate in the "Best Field Trip Ever" promotion.

Seating for the event is general admission (first come first serve).  Admission is free to everyone.

Please come by the Mabee Center even if it's just a brief stay!  Be a part of ORU history!

Game starts at noon - Arena doors open at 11 a.m. - FREE Admission!

Thank you for the support!

ORU Athletics

We didn't break the record, but it was the second largest crowd in school history with 4,243.  It's the largest crowd since hosting Oklahoma State on December 4, 2004.

Here are some pictures from today...

Sure we won, Bogus!  Central Arkansas didn't stand a chance against the Lady Golden Eagles and about 4,000 screaming kids!

Mart Green was in attendance?!

That's good stuff. Does he go to many of the athletic events?

He makes it to quite a few.  I'm pretty sure he makes just about all the big games.  He usually just blends into the crowd, and doesn't make a scene at all.  Today he was sitting in about row 17 of section E.  He was sitting on the isle closest to D, and was surrounded by kids from various schools.  He didn't stay the entire game, but he was there for over half the game.

TheEagleman congratulates the ladies for a nice win today and a fine 3-1 start to the season....big game vs. Missouri State tomorrow nite...that crowd today was probably larger than the 3 home games played by the men this season..... :-P

It was really fun having that many kids at the game. We sat at the top and found ourselves more entertained by their enthusiasm than by the game.  I never dreamed that many students could be so well behaved.

When t-shirts and ice cream bars were thrown into the stands and when the blimp was flying around, they were all on their feet.

During the media time out that Eli invites all of the kids onto the floor to dance to YMCA, I thought we had issued an invitation for disaster. But, all is well that ends well. The floor was full of excited kids, and except for a moment when ELI got knocked to the ground and the kids were body slamming him, it went better than expected.

All in all, I would say this was one of the best events (second to the white outs at the men's games) that we have had for ORU basketball. Channel 8 did a nice job of covering it too.

Not to make a blatant attempt to kiss MM's rear end....but, the "field trip" promotion was AWESOME!

During the National Anthem, many of the kids actually sang along, they were actually into the game. The knew when to cheer, when to chant "Defense" and "O-R-U". As much as it pains me to say it, the elementary kids were a more "basketball savvy" crowd than MOST of our season ticket holders/regular crowd.

And during a couple of the promotions, the sound inside the Mabee Center was literally DEAFENING!

Again, great job by MM, McCutchen, Higgins, & staff! I am really excited about this promotion for next year and beyond. Not only for the actual event, but for the fact that 4,000 or so kids and teachers left the ORU campus after a WONDERFUL experience!!!

Voice,

My daughter was at the event and marveled at how attentive the students (even the younger ones) were to the game. She is a teacher and thought the event was amazing. She also was impressed at how the crowd of kids followed your lead - and how well you interacted with the kids.

Not to make a blatant attempt to kiss MM's rear end....but, the "field trip" promotion was AWESOME!

During the National Anthem, many of the kids actually sang along, they were actually into the game. The knew when to cheer, when to chant "Defense" and "O-R-U". As much as it pains me to say it, the elementary kids were a more "basketball savvy" crowd than MOST of our season ticket holders/regular crowd.

And during a couple of the promotions, the sound inside the Mabee Center was literally DEAFENING!

Again, great job by MM, McCutchen, Higgins, & staff! I am really excited about this promotion for next year and beyond. Not only for the actual event, but for the fact that 4,000 or so kids and teachers left the ORU campus after a WONDERFUL experience!!!

I could not agree more. I caught the first half of this game and these kids were into the game and LOUD! Like voice pointed out earlier, the kids quickly picked up the "DEFENSE" and "O-R-U" chants. They really put our regular home crowds to shame.

We need to do this as often as logistically possible.

This follows the McDonald's mode of marketing....get the kids and the parents will follow.  If we continue to do this over the next 3 - 5 years (or more), this is the one thing that will get butts in the seats.  Sodexho should be all over this (but then I digress).