Mid-Continent Notebook: (Tulsa World) - Jan 18, 2006

ORUTerry

Mid-Continent Notebook

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

1/18/2006

State Ties:

Junior forward Dee Ayuba of Edmond is Missouri-Kansas City's top rebounder (7.0) and second-leading scorer (14.2). He is one of three Oklahomans playing key roles for the Kangaroos.

Jeremiah Hartsock of Bartlesville and Brent Stephens of Jay, both sophomores, are the first players off the bench for head coach Rich Zvosec.

All three are helping the Kangaroos overcome the loss of Carlton Aaron and Mike English, their all-conference senior inside duo from last season.

The 6-foot-9 Hartsock left UMKC after his freshman year to do his Mormon mission in Russia, but cited personal reasons for ending the planned two-year program after a month and returned to school late last fall, the Kansas City Star reported.

Zvosec considered redshirting Hartsock "until we went on our road trip to Southern Utah and Chicago State and realized we needed another post guy with experience."

Hartsock had played in all four games since, before Tuesday's nonconference visit to North Dakota State.

"He has a calmness on the court that some of our younger players don't have. He's really been a help," Zvosec said.

Well-traveled:

The 6-foot-6 Stephens, who led Jay to the Class 4A semifinals in 2003, played a year at Monmouth University in New Jersey, transferred to Northeastern A&M and signed with UMKC, where he has three years of eligibility.

He's already had a string of five straight double-figures scoring games this season, including a career-high 17 in an 80-75 win at Chicago State on Jan. 4.

Scoring threat:

Ayuba, who led Seminole Junior College to the NJCAA Region II title, leads UMKC in field goal percentage (83-of-166, .500) and has 10 treys.

Ayuba's 14.2 scoring average is higher than the 12 points per game he averaged at Seminole, or at Edmond Memorial High School.

"We've gotten a little more scoring than we expected from him. He's probably been our second-most consistent player (behind guard Quinton Day). He's been a real find," Zvosec said.

Ayuba hit the winning shot with six seconds left in Saturday's 93-91 win over Oakland (Mich.) and finished with 20 points and six rebounds.

UMKC was the only team to beat Oral Roberts University twice last year and is 6-1 against the Eagles over the past three years.

The teams meet in Kansas City on Jan. 30 and in Tulsa on Feb. 16.

Getting better:

Oakland seems to be rounding into form, just in time for Thursday's visit to ORU, the Grizzlies' first return to Tulsa since upsetting the Eagles in last year's conference tournament.

The Grizzlies scored 60 points in the second half of Saturday's loss at UMKC and shot 68 per cent in the second half of Monday's 76-64 win at Western Illinois, only their second in eight games.

"We're starting to play good," said head coach Greg Kampe. "We're a young team, with no seniors, but we're starting to figure it out a little."

Calvin Wooten, who flashed star potential at Rutgers before requiring knee surgery in 2004, is second in the league in scoring (20.9) and steals (2.3).

Junior center Shawn Hopes is second in blocked shots.

Make a deal:

Kampe said he has completed a five-game contract with Michigan State, with two of the games to be hosted by Oakland at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

Kampe said the deal means $250,000 to the school, plus television fees for the games hosted by Oakland.

Outside, looking in:

Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne wants to join the Mid-Con or Metro Conference, according to the Northwest (Ind.) Times.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State have also expressed interest in joining the Mid-Con, leading to talk of a 12-team league, the newspaper reported.

IPFW has been independent since leaving the Great Lakes Conference when it made the move from NCAA Division II to Division I in 2001.

IPFW athletic director Mark Pope has discussed the matter several times with Valpo AD Mark LaBarbera, who said he would support IPFW's admittance.

"(Pope) makes a lot of good arguments," LaBarbera said. "There's a lot of compelling reasons why they would be a good fit for the Mid-Con."

Fast breaks: Quinton Day just missed a triple double in UMKC's 68-62 loss to IUPUI -- 13 points, nine rebounds, eight assists. . . . Valparaiso's Dan Oppland scored a career-high 35 points in Saturday's 82-68 win at Western Illinois. . . . Centenary's 67-65 win over Southern Utah broke a nine-game conference losing streak dating back to Feb. 10, 2005.

Guest EagleBackr
Mid-Continent Notebook

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

1/18/2006

Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne wants to join the Mid-Con....IPFW athletic director Mark Pope has discussed the matter several times with Valpo AD Mark LaBarbera, who said he would support IPFW's admittance.

Gee, that's funny - it would seem like he would need to discuss the matter with the Mid-Con commissioner. Oh, wait; I forgot - Valpo calls all the shots in the Mid-Con conference! My bad... :wink:

Gee, that's funny - it would seem like he would need to discuss the matter with the Mid-Con commissioner. Oh, wait; I forgot - Valpo calls all the shots in the Mid-Con conference! My bad... :wink:

If that were true we sure as he## wouldn't have the conference tourney in Tulsa!

Guest EagleBackr

If that were true we sure as he## wouldn't have the conference tourney in Tulsa!

Yeah, it's paid such dividends for ORU so far!! Seriously, when it comes to expansion, I'm refering to the fact Homer didn't want Belmont, then Belmont doesn't get in. Homer doesn't want North Dakota State or South Dakota State, either, so you wonder if they have a chance or not. Now, Valpo's AD is promoting IPFW membership, mainly because it's an easy trip for Valpo. It does seem to resemble political gerrymandering. Maybe we should call it Homermandering!

Actually you guys would be better off in a conference where you would have a better chance of winning the conference tournament. :cry:

We were getting along SO well until you had to go and say THAT!!!

Not only that, but you were wrong, Rick. We had a GREAT chance of winning the conference tournament - we just didn't!

Not only that, but you were wrong, Rick. We had a GREAT chance of winning the conference tournament - we just didn't!

We had a great chance of getting Michael Jordan at Valpo. We just didn't.

For those who are intellectually challenged (you know who you are)....Homer DID want Belmont in the conference and DOES want IPFW in the conference....not sure about North Dakota and South Dakota....The problem with expansion might well be that the new commissioner is from Southern Utah. I would hope that that isn't important, but I would think he would keep them in mind when thinking about expansion and what's good for the conference....Besides, the University Presidents are the ONLY body that has a say in expansion when it comes to a vote....someone has to convince them....

It would be interesting to know what the vote was for extending Centenary a membership in the league..... and who voted in the affirmative. Can we have a "do-over"?

North Dakota State and South Dakota State have also expressed interest in joining the Mid-Con, leading to talk of a 12-team league, the newspaper reported.

It seems like NDSU is getting more and more interested in joining the Mid-Con and I think it would be great if NDSU could get into the conference. NDSU may be a ways away from some of the other Mid-Con schools but NDSU has good facilities, fan support, and a basketball team that is young and looks to have a bright future. Here is a few pictures of NDSU's facilites.

EYZEXATPNLQUWGB.20050303194523.gif

This is the Fargodome and it is mainly used for football games but for games that could draw over 7,000 the Dome can be used for basketball as well. The Dome holds 14,000 for basketball

20050520ndsu-gym.jpg

Bison Sports Arena(6,500) This is a what the BSA will look like after renovation.

IBWCURZLUWXZTTT.20050303200417.gif

Newman Outdoor Field(4,059)

Also if you want to know more about NDSU here are a few links for you.

NDSU athletics

http://www.gobison.com/

NDSU message board

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Guest EagleBackr
For those who are intellectually challenged (you know who you are)...

..always love...how rlh...calls me out...under his breath...hey big man...I'M RIGHT HERE!!...intellectually stout...and ready to rumble...can't wait to hear...next "unbiased" Mid-Con broadcast...always tickled how...Valpo players constantly identified...by first names only...as if everyone tuning in...is just one big ol'...happy Crusader family... :roll:

Guest EagleBackr

It seems like NDSU is getting more and more interested in joining the Mid-Con and I think it would be great if NDSU could get into the conference. NDSU may be a ways away from some of the other Mid-Con schools but NDSU has good facilities, fan support, and a basketball team that is young and looks to have a bright future. Here is a few pictures of NDSU's facilites.

Jeez, nice digs! No wonder Valpo doesn't want you guys - your facilities put their's (and practically everyone else's in the Mid-Con's) to shame!

Guest EagleBackr
Then don't pop off about things you have no knowledge of...I'll be in Tulsa twice this year for a total of 7 days....want to have lunch....

Gee, I'm flattered, but I must respectfully decline. I'm married. Besides, I've seen you on TV - frankly, you're not my type. :shock:

I didn't think you wanted to face me and discuss our differences....As long as you can keep your identity a secret you talk big....From the e-mails I've gotten from others who post here, that's about normal for you....Oh, well....I offered the olive branch...now it's up to you...