ORU's New Logo

vcboy2000

thanks orumom. Well, I'm actually a little sad to see it go. It was our most precious tradition...

edit: but I think it's the right move and I'm happy for the kids that are there now.

Wow I wish I would have been at ORU when those changes took place, but that's really exciting that they're being progressive. I never thought a guy in flip flops would be acceptable in class. I'm actually MORE excited to see that they relaxed the cafeteria dress code...I used to get so frustrated on days I didn't have class that I'd have to get dressed up just to go eat - it seemed like the rules were there just for the sake of having rules. So I'm very proud of my university for getting to the heart of the issue.

Considering I never thought I'd see those types of drastic changes...I wonder in the next 5 years if I'll see any type of change on the curfew...talk about recruiting students - that would help but P-Rob probably still interprets that as deviating from the university's original purpose.

To be techinical this is not a 'new' logo in that ORU has never really had an official logo except the seal. In the past there has been a myriad of 'logos' or symbols.... in fact the Eli picture created by the Athletic Department was used extensively across campus. Now, everyone - but Athletics - will use the modified Prayer Tower design. I like it....

I never had a problem with the curfew.... I was at ORU from 1980-83. My freshman year was spent at a college in Arkansas where the curfew was 10:45 for men and 10:30 for women - that gave the men 15 minutes to walk the women back to their dorms. My mom (who is right most of the time) said nothing good happens after midnight. That said, it is hard to tell a young adult who is spending (borrowing?) $20,000 per year without help from their parents that they must be in the dorms by midnight.... especially if they never had a curfew in high school.

oru_home_a_03.gif

They got some new policies to go with the new look too. If you get a chance check out the website. http://www.oru.edu It's still a work in progress, but it's looking good so far.

I like it, too...but I miss the eternal flame in the letters...

Seismic Changes at ORU

President alters dress code

By Ginger Shepherd

Speaking in chapel on Jan. 11, ORU president Richard Roberts called it ?a historic day? in ORU history, and indeed it was.

ORU has had a dress code since opening its doors in 1965; minor modifications have been made in recent years.

In chapel that day, following a big build-up, Roberts announced the biggest changes yet: year-round, male students could go tie-less and wear sweatshirts and ?neat? jeans at will, while female students could also wear jeans--and capris. Footwear options expanded to include athletic shoes and flip-flops.

The faculty and staff also benefited from these less-restrictive rules: no ties required for men, and women would be allowed to wear pants (not jeans) year-round.

Before making the announcement--which was met with joyous cheering, yelling, and clapping--Roberts talked about ?rules at ORU and why we have them.?

Rather than rules-for-rules?-sake, he said, ORU rules are in place to help students ?develop character, dependability, self-control, and honesty.? He lauded alumni who learned such lessons well at ORU and have gone on to serve in the federal government, with the United Nations, and in numerous other well-respected professions. He also patted students on the back for their community outreach work and for the many awards they have won at academic competitions such as the Psychology Bowl, Tri-Beta, and Oklahoma Intercollegiate Legislature.

?Since October,? he said, ?I?ve been meeting with students in the dorms, on the wings,? and in other campus venues. What he learned in their talks, Roberts said, is that he and the administration ?have not always done a good job of explaining the reasons behind the rules at ORU. Some are based on the Bible. Some have nothing to do with the Bible. The Bible doesn?t say, ?Thou shalt have a curfew.? Some rules are based on common sense and judgment.?

Curfew, he said, ?is a matter of safety and security. We want you to get your rest and keep your GPA and graduate.? The honor code is a matter of ?integrity and credibility.?

One student asked him why ORU needs a class attendance policy. ?So you can get an education!? Roberts told him.

And why chapel? ?To build up your spirit man, and (give you) a complete education.?

It was at this point that Roberts made the dress code announcement, stressing that there would be one code for classrooms, chapel, and the library, and another for the cafeteria. The aforementioned rules would apply in the first three venues. In the cafeteria, the code would be even more relaxed, allowing for T-shirts, sweatpants, and hats. As Roberts said, ?When you?re coming back from the Aerobics Center, and you?re hot and sweaty, you don?t want to take the time to go back to the dorm and shower and get into dress code so you can go to dinner.? It was time, he added, that local fast-food restaurants stopped getting all the students? business.

In the past, dress code enforcement was the job of the resident advisers. This responsibility has now shifted to the faculty.

?We need to honor God and this university,? Roberts explained. ?We want you to make God proud, yourself proud, and your family proud. ORU is a place for you to develop a lifestyle and a worldview that will serve you for the rest of your life. It?s a molding place, and sometimes that?s hot, and uncomfortable.

?I have to do a better job,? he concluded, ?of explaining the heart behind the rules and regulations.?

Dress Code Update for Students

The Standard for Men in Class/Chapel/Library: In addition to suits, ties, and other dress clothes, the following options are open for men to choose from:

Collared shirts (tucked in or shirts designed to be worn untucked)

Knit shirts/cropped turtlenecks/turtlenecks

Sweatshirts or sweaters

Slacks/corduroys/khakis/neat jeans

Dress or casual shoes, including athletic shoes and flip-flops

The Standard for Women in Class/Chapel/Library: In addition to skirts and dresses, the following options are open for ladies to choose from:

Knit shirts or non athletic T-shirts (shirts must have straps of at least 1 inch or wider)

Slacks/corduroys/khakis/capri pants/neat jeans (the length of all pants should be mid-calf or lower)

Dress or casual shoes, including athletic shoes and flip-flops

Note on Women?s Dress for Formal Occasions: Full-length formal gowns may be worn with or without straps, but they may not be low-cut in either the front or the back. This applies to full-length formal gowns only.

The Standard for Men and Women in the Cafeteria: In the cafeteria, a relaxed dress code will be in effect at all times. This includes T-shirts, sweatpants, and hats.

Business Dress

for the Faculty and Staff

While at work or representing the university, it is important that each employee dress in a manner that contributes to a professional atmosphere. Regardless of fashion trends, all attire should remain modest and business-appropriate. The guidelines listed below have been developed to maintain a level of consistency and professionalism.

Men

Dress slacks or casual pants (e.g., khakis, Dockers, etc.)

Collared, turtleneck, banded shirts, or crewneck sweaters (Oxfords, Polo, golf shirts)

Dress crop pants or dress capri pants (2? to 4? above the ankle)

Blazers or sport coats

Suits

Ties (optional)

Loafers, dress shoes, or dress boots

Socks

Uniforms as required by department

Hair (trimmed above the collar) with at least half of the ear showing)

Women

Dress slacks or casual pants (e.g., khakis, Dockers, etc.)

Dresses or skirts of modest length

Collared shirts, crewnecks, turtlenecks, or blouses

Blazers, jackets, or sweaters

Dress shoes, dress sandals, dress boots, or loafers

Hose/socks (optional)

Uniforms as required by department

Inappropriate Attire for faculty & staff

Jeans

Flip-flops

Hats, including baseball style

T-shirts

Athletic jerseys

Sweatshirts or sweatpants

Windjammers (and other sweatsuits)

Halter tops or halter dresses

Beards, facial hair and lower-lip facial hair (neatly trimmed mustaches are acceptable)

Tattoos (all must be covered)

Athletic shoes of any kind

Shorts or skorts

Leggings

Sheer or spandex clothing

Spaghetti straps

Body piercing

Earrings (men)

Gauchos

Midriff outfits or cropped shirts (no excessive slits or low-cut clothing)